TSSAA to look at open zones, privates, new classifications possible

GWAVE1

Metro is not open zone. Lots of ways to go to certain schools though. As far as magnet schools I think you need to look at whether they are true magnet schools such as Hume Fogg which attract top academic kids or magnet schools that simply have the name. They are very different. In metro the three academic magnet schools are HF, MLK, and EN.

Maybe so, but some are A LOT cheaper than others. If you live outside of OR or in another county and choose to go to OR around 7 grand is going to come out of your pocket. At Alcoa that would be about $500 dollars or used to be. Not sure what their tuition is now, but a big difference there.

Edited by SweetScience

A lot of you people who want to talk about open zone schools are naive. Do you really think schools are strict about making people provide proof of residency? No, and I know this from personal experience. I guarantee you there are kids at every school in the state that don't live in their school's zone.

Hits funnee nobodee menshuns opun zoan skools like Dobbuns-Bent-It, Cyunts Hill, Greanvul, Cleavlund, Onidee, Oke Gridge, Mile-Lun, Humbolt, Trenton Peabodee,Tullyhoma, Lecksington and tha list goes on........

:popcorneater:

I know kids that live in Liberty Hollow and Muddy Branch that go to Elizabethton. We've got to keep the Rangers at Unaka!

A lot of you people who want to talk about open zone schools are naive. Do you really think schools are strict about making people provide proof of residency? No, and I know this from personal experience. I guarantee you there are kids at every school in the state that don't live in their school's zone.

Absolutely. Those hollering about open zones have kids at their favorite schools out of the zone. Let's see.. His mother teaches there, his parents own property there, his dad works in the zone, he lives with his grandfather in the zone, he wants to take Russian at that school, his zoned school is failing so he can transfer.... On and on by the "closed zone" schools to justify their out of zone kids.

Absolutely. Those hollering about open zones have kids at their favorite schools out of the zone. Let's see.. His mother teaches there, his parents own property there, his dad works in the zone, he lives with his grandfather in the zone, he wants to take Russian at that school, his zoned school is failing so he can transfer.... On and on by the "closed zone" schools to justify their out of zone kids.

And most people prolly don't know how easy it is to print up a fake lease agreement and get someone they know living at that address to sign it and say they are renting/leasing that property to them. The bottom line is people are going to find a way to go to the school they want to go to.

And most people prolly don't know how easy it is to print up a fake lease agreement and get someone they know living at that address to sign it and say they are renting/leasing that property to them. The bottom line is people are going to find a way to go to the school they want to go to.

Lots of glass houses on this one. Surely the TSSAA won't start checking id's like little league to no avail. Leave the id checking to the convenience store.

Lots of glass houses on this one. Surely the TSSAA won't start checking id's like little league to no avail. Leave the id checking to the convenience store.

What people don't seem to understand is its not always just about sports. Sometimes people try to get into out of zone schools because they are closer than the school they are zoned for. When my sister moved into Blount county she lived a minute or 2 away from Montvale and my niece ended up being zoned for Carpenters, which is clear across the county from where they were living! Now my sister lives like 10 minutes away from Carpenters and my niece is zoned for Union Grove... Go figure... The school districts don't always make sense.

Hits funnee nobodee menshuns opun zoan skools like Dobbuns-Bent-It, Cyunts Hill, Greanvul, Cleavlund, Onidee, Oke Gridge, Mile-Lun, Humbolt, Trenton Peabodee,Tullyhoma, Lecksington and tha list goes on........

:popcorneater:

Sullivan North, Sullivan South, Sullivan Central, Sullivan East, North Greene, South Greene, Chucky-Doak, West Greene, that list only contains the COUNTY open zoned schools in two counties. And I don't believe any tuition and little paperwork is required as long as you are a county resident. Only minimal paperwork would be required for crossing county lines. I know Sullivan South draws students from both Washington and Greene counties because it is closer to their home than the high schools they are zoned for.

The list goes on and on. I can't believe the ridiculous people who say to lump in the open zone schools with the D2 privates. That would be by far the biggest group in the state

Edited by RebRaider85

Sevier county has a very open "open zone" plan. A lot of good it did when gp played alcoa or sevier co played maryville. Or south Doyle for that matter. I want to play the best in the state, win or lose. Not interested in playing only "winnable" games. If someone is better let's play em and figure out what they do different from us. Some of the moments I have been proudest of my kids has been in losses. They went into the contest knowing the odds were against them but played their hearts out and left it all on the field. When it comes time for them to suit up for the smoky bears I hope they have the opportunity to play the best teams in the state. Win or lose I hope they have the chance to prove what they are made of. They won't have that chance playing a watered down "upward mentality" schedule with 8 or 10 "state champions". If it was me I would have public and privates together, 5 classes in football, 3 in the other sports. Just my opinion, and I understand others will feel different.

Every since the T$$AA got away from three classes they keep digging a hole then dig another one until they have run out of places to dig. They refuse to correct the real problem due to the fact that they refuse to lose a dime from all of those playoff games. On many of the first and second  round games because of the split with the T$$AA a lot of these schools have to go in a hole after expenses are paid. Two years ago the first two playoff games it rained so bad you could count all the people that were there and it had to have been less than seven or eight hundred people at the Maryville games. Rain or not the crowds are usually going to be small at the first two game because of the mismatches. I don't have a solution to the problem because it's run to far out in front to figure it out now. I just miss the times when going to the playoffs was special to the teams that made it. This year there will be a couple of teams in the Super 32 in the playoffs with two wins or less and that makes no sense at all.