TSSAA to look at open zones, privates, new classifications possible

GWAVE1

One option is to have football distrcts mirror all other sports districts with three regular season classes (a la z-plan) and then determine playoff placement like the old 5-class system did, with the top 4 teams making to the playoffs. Then the largest two playoff bound schools by enrollment go to the higher classification (6A if in an AAA district) with the other, smaller two playoff teams going to the 5A playoffs. A team will be preclassified into A, AA, or AAA by enrollment for the regular season, but would not know what post-season class they are in until the playoffs. Texas uses something like this already. This is not my personal favorite idea, nor one I would like to see, but some of you may like it.

yes 7 and the greater Atlanta area has more population than all of TN. So Ga has 9.7 million people and 7 champions, TN has 6.4 million people and 8 champions........yes way watered down. Going by the TN model, California with 39 million would need to have 25 class state champions!

Ahh that's not quite true, but you're point is valid. Metro Atlanta has a population of 5.6 million, which is a little more than half of the entire state of Georgia's population of 10.1 million. Tennessee as state has a population of 6.5 million. 

Ahh that's not quite true, but you're point is valid. Metro Atlanta has a population of 5.6 million, which is a little more than half of the entire state of Georgia's population of 10.1 million. Tennessee as state has a population of 6.5 million.

Not talking metro areas but Nashville and Memphis (just the cities) have a bigger population than Atlanta. I like Tennessee better because the population is more evenly distributed. There are large parts of GA where there is nothing.

And you guys want to hear a really crazy number?  According to Knoxville Central's head coach, who is from New Jersey and coached in New Jersey for a couple of years between coaching at Oak Ridge and being hired at Central, New Jersey has 28 "state" champions in its different classifications.  

That's just insane.  

yes 7 and the greater Atlanta area has more population than all of TN. So Ga has 9.7 million people and 7 champions, TN has 6.4 million people and 8 champions........yes way watered down. Going by the TN model, California with 39 million would need to have 25 class state champions!

What's California??

Metro is not open zone. Lots of ways to go to certain schools though. As far as magnet schools I think you need to look at whether they are true magnet schools such as Hume Fogg which attract top academic kids or magnet schools that simply have the name. They are very different. In metro the three academic magnet schools are HF, MLK, and EN.

East Nashville is not an academic magnet.

Using the same criteria as above---

How would East Tennessee be divided?

1. Maryville
  2. Fulton
  3. Knox West
  4. Alcoa
  5. Science Hill
  6. Greeneville
  7. Knox Catholic
  8. South Doyle
  9. Sevier Co.
  10. Oak Ridge
  11. Sullivan South
  12. Webb
  13. Loudon
  14. Hardin Valley
  15. D-B
  16. Farragut
  17. Tennessee High
  18. Elizabethton
  19. Mo. East
  20. Anderson Co.
  21. Mo. West
  22. CAK
  23. Campbell Co
  24. Clinton
  25. Livingston Acad. (would they go East?)

I am not as familiar with that area and who is closest to who.

I would probably replace Livingston with some one like Powell since they would be closer to Knoxville than Livingston. Also Knoxville could be split up a couple different ways. 4 Districts 6-7 teams per

District A Northeast TN

Science Hill

Greeneville

Sullivan South 

D-B

Elizabethton

TN High

District B North

Sevier Co.

South Doyle

Mo West

Mo East