For those associated with private schools

CPGB06

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You were the one that knit picked about the discussion myself and CSense were having, but that's fine...I'm 18 years old, but I am old enough to know that if this discussion has shifted to who said what or didn't say what...then I am done with it, when yall feel like actually discussing the thread, then I'm up for it.

You started it, I ended it.

[Edited by TheEgoHasLanded on 11-22-02 12:03P]

I have found that you can forget about have a conversation with on person on any thread here. Some one is going to jump in. Just as I did when you said no one say anything about the public schools who draw kids outside their zone. That was just a false statement!!!! Several people, public supporters, have agreed with the premise that those schools should have something done to them also. Maybe at 18 you are still too close to the situation to really see and know the whole picture, maybe not!

These are the facts....

-private schools draw kids from a large area, larger than any 1a or 2a school they play.

-some private schools offer work study

-some private schools have people pay the school's tutition for some athletes or they pay the parents to pay the tuition

-successful private schools draw more talented athletes because of the schools rep.

-some privates write of student/athletes tutition as bad debt when it is not paid in full

Notice I said some in most of these cases, but these things do happen and are known as fact. Now don't ask for kid's names because as I have stated before I am not going to release the kids name in this forum. The kid was not at fault, the school they attened was!

I know your not talkin to me and i hate to butt in but id liek a shoot at some of these questions.

Posted by imasoftballer:

These are the facts....

-private schools draw kids from a large area, larger than any 1a or 2a school they play.

TRUE

-some private schools offer work study

Id like to know a division 1 private that does because i dont think they do. There is not enough interest in it.

-some private schools have people pay the school's tutition for some athletes or they pay the parents to pay the tuition

Have Evidence? Also this could happen anywhere. I wouldnt dare deny that it doesnt happen i didnt just fall off the turnup truck.

-successful private schools draw more talented athletes because of the schools rep.

True but so can public schools. Thats not a good point because that is something that is earned through hard work not an advanatge that a public school couldnt have to. (Riverdale, Shelbyville, Maryville, and Trousdale County come to mind)

-some privates write of student/athletes tutition as bad debt when it is not paid in full.

OK this one gets me. They arent gonna kick the kid outta school if his parents go bankrupt or divorce. They will actauuly try to work out a payment method i know i had to do it.

It may be very difficult for you to understand but you would be amazed at who goes to private schools. There the same kids that live down the street from you right now. Its people kids that you work with. Its people that make less money than you, but they made a choice to send their kids to school there and are willing to sacrifice things for it.

Would the school and kid you fail to mention would they happen to be in Division 2?

No it was D1.

And I think you are wrong, there are not hardly any kids if any at all attending private school. Let me rephrase, a private school in TSSAA participating in sports.

I have heard Goodpasture offers work study, I don't know. Other schools have been mentioned also, and several of those have never come on here and denied it.

I know of one kid who had someone else pay their tuition. The family lived in the projects and had no money. The local churches were solicited to help pay the kids tutition.

Public school maybe able to draw talent, but for that kid to play here he would have to move. I dare say Lewis Co. football is better than Perry Co. but there are no Perry Co. boys coming here to play and vice virsa for basketball.

[Edited by imasoftballer on 11-22-02 2:54P]

Ima...it sounds to me that you are bitter. If what you are saying is true, and these schools are breaking the rules, why would you not GO to the TSSAA and discuss it. No one here wants names or speculation.

The rules, are the rules, are the rules! If someone is breaking the rules, and you KNOW about it, it is incumbent upon you to report it! If you do not have any facts, please stop speculating.

Anyway, I thought we were talking about the so-called advantages that privates have over the publics within the rules. Where we not?

imasoftballer,

I would like to respond to your post, if you don't mind. I am going to be straightforward, and I hope you will be as well if you choose to respond.

"These are the facts....

-private schools draw kids from a large area, larger than any 1a or 2a school they play."

What is your point? This would only be an advantage if private schools were guaranteed EVERY student in a zone that would be allotted to them if they were public. As a matter of fact, they are lucky to get 10% of those kids (while, as a point of fact, their public school counterpart averages 90% outside of the southern side of Nashville). Their survival as an institution depends on getting kids (athletes and otherwise) outside some arbitrarily and artificially drawn "zone."

"-some private schools offer work study"

I propose that this is an unfair allegation. If you will provide names, I promise to investigate their IRS 990 forms to validate your position. Despite the vague accusations that prevail on these boards, these are facts that are not difficult to prove, unless the schools involved are so desirous of athletic prowess that the board members, headmasters, etc. are willing to do time in the federal pens.

"-some private schools have people pay the school's tutition for some athletes or they pay the parents to pay the tuition"

Again, you say "These are the facts." I wait for your proof. I could just as easily say, "When public schools face the prospect of a good athlete being declared ineligible because of grades, they just shift that athlete into federally protected special programs." I have defended you on other threads from this accusation.

"-successful private schools draw more talented athletes because of the schools rep."

I don't think any private school advocate would argue with you on this one.

"-some privates write of student/athletes tutition as bad debt when it is not paid in full"

Again, this is easily verifiable by checking their 990 forms. Just give me some names, and I promise you I will shout it out on these threads.

I would add to this post that I wonder why Goodpasture and Ezell Harding are hiding their corporate name from the public. I notice both have closed the original foundation/corporation under whose auspices they began. I understand why it is hard to find schools like CPA (it resides under the direction of a church; at least you can find it if you look hard enough), but why would independent institutions make their corporate names so hard to identify unless they had something to hide? I may be stupid, but the people I have helping me are not (plus, they answer to me for their paychecks), and we have tried every possible combination of names and addresses to identify them. Since these schools are not stupid either, I know they are filing. While I am not making any accusations, I do wonder why they obfuscate the means to identify them in what is supposed to be, under federal law, a forum easily accessible to the public.

[Edited by Dingo on 11-22-02 11:05P]

Three single A schools in Wayne County. Just how many students are in Wayne County? Not nearly enough to complain about. IF (and I don't know) there is no zoning within the county, big deal. They don't cross county lines.

I do know for a fact of two private schools that provided bus service across county lines at a distance of up to 40 miles to get students. I would hate to name the schools and will not name the children that rode these buses, so don't ask.

Great strategy though. Some of us recognize it for what it is.

Has any one here had a teammate leave and go to a private school? I have...in fact, there were two of them. Do you think that it left the rest of us feeling betrayed and upset? Yeah, a little. Private schools don't recruit? You be the judge. The two ball players played on a summer ball team and the coaches just happened to be fathers who had kids that attended the private school. Throughout the course of the summer, they were persuaded to change schools. Now, is this recruiting?

Dingo, you stated in a previous post:

" "-some private schools have people pay the school's tutition for some athletes or they pay the parents to pay the tuition"

Again, you say "These are the facts." I wait for your proof. I could just as easily say, "When public schools face the prospect of a good athlete being declared ineligible because of grades, they just shift that athlete into federally protected special programs." I have defended you on other threads from this accusation."

I can give you an example of this happening. The incident was reported to Ronnie Carter. Ever coach in the District knew this kid could not pay his way to the school. However, Ronnie Carter said that he was on an Innercity Academic Scholorship (not sure of the exact name of the scholorship/grant) and therefore he was eligible to participate in athletics.

This is FACT.

There are many perceptions about private schools and how they deal with athletics. I do not have a clue as to what is fact. I do know if perceptions are allowed to lay long enough they will eventually raise their head as truth. What ever happened to communication between the coaches. We are all in this together. Yet, it seems that private/public schools and the TSSAA have kept their head in the sand for so long on issues/perceptions/facts that go way beyond financial aid. Is it too late?

Dingo,

I know iamsoftballer and people from Lewis County can speak for themselves, and I am not speaking for anyone else. But I would like to interject something into this discussion (I have tried twice and having problems -- is this thread too long?):

You wrote:"These are the facts....

-private schools draw kids from a large area, larger than any 1a or 2a school they play."

What is your point? This would only be an advantage if private schools were guaranteed EVERY student in a zone that would be allotted to them if they were public. As a matter of fact, they are lucky to get 10% of those kids (while, as a point of fact, their public school counterpart averages 90% outside of the southern side of Nashville). Their survival as an institution depends on getting kids (athletes and otherwise) outside some arbitrarily and artificially drawn "zone."

Many people wonder how 4-5 Division I prospects showed up at a small private school which had never excelled at football. This particular private school has played against many rural 1A schools. It is interesting to note that this school failed to set any state records against other private schools.

Some of these rural public 1A schools may go 20 years and never have 4-5 Division I prospects -- on all of their teams combined. Most rural public 1A schools never have Div I prospects on their teams.

Therefore, the issue of privates drawing from larger metro and urban areas smacks of recruiting and open zoning. Ideally, the intent should be to not have a Nashville metro school playing a small rural school.

So, when it at best an "aberation" takes place and 4-5 Div I prospects appear on a 1A private team over a two-to-four year period, the system appears to be flawed.