Poll: Public Schools With Open Enrollment

A 1.8 multiplier for BOTH Private & Public Open Enrollment   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should the TSSAA Board of Control mandate that all PUBLIC schools in TN which have open enrollment (e.g. Union City) be required to use the 1.8 enrollment multiplier, just like private schools competing in Division I?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Yes, but the multiplier should be less than the private school multiplier

Bigby has a pretty good grasp of the shortcomings within Maury Co's system, but there are two points made that don't mesh with the TSSAA's current "problem" at hand. The "No Child Left Behind" state policy isn't in effect any longer, and the county policy regarding transfer is self imposed. Hypothetically...Maury County Board Of Education could implement policy splitting students into the county schools via alphabetic order...A through H goes here, I through M there ect... and TSSAA would still govern athletics, but have no input whether more folks with surnames from A to H were good football players than the rest. Zoning is county policy, as well as the restrictions regulating transfer within any system. I would imagine that there are subtle differences in almost every zoned system, and drastic variances separating the entire spectrum. The standard of "residence change or sit out" (with stipulations), is meant to deter athletes from congregating at one school( and encompasses every school within their jurisdiction), but fails to level the field for everyone because it's not possible to allow for internal restrictions.

You are correct in that most Counties have subtle differences in zoning policies. I did not know "no child left behind" was no longer policy.

The thing you and I still differ on is the number of transfers. To me it doesn't take massive transfers, of the like you say might happen to bump the numbers enough to warrant TSSAA Class upgrading from 1A to 2A.... Only 2-4 darn good athletes transferring with principal approval *will not* bump them up a class.

If Maury Co. was an Open Enrollment County, if my boy was in the 6th grade at MP middle School, and I eventually wanted him at Central because they have a better football team, all I'd have to do is enroll him at the beginning of the next school year at Central, if they have the room to seat him, he goes there; whether we move to Columbia or not. Per TSSAA rules he sets out 1 year and by the 8th grade year he's fully eligible to play ball again. Within a few years, Championship caliber team could be possible with 2-4 likened transfers.

Now, it would only take 3-4 parents doing this with their kids to make a championship team. Definitely not enough to warrant a bump up in TSSAA Classification. Heck even if 20 kids did this it wouldn't bump the numbers up to do so.

Sadly in Maury Co. one cannot do this. If one lives in MP, one's kid goes to MP. If one lives in Columbia, one's kid goes to Columbia... Though just 8 miles apart. No choice.

Sure Maury Co. could change this but it would be too much for the school board to handle I guess. But it would be just the same for TSSAA to divide the league into new divisions 1-2-3 and make it easier on the County School Systems that 'have to' - I guess - Zone and divide the County Schools into districts.

Closed Enrollment Counties may be inflexible to change, but TSSAA isn't; or at least shouldn't be.

Edited by Big Bigby

Mind Blown!! Best post ive seen on this topic yet. Sweet job Bigby

Just know that Closed Enrollment schools are greatly disadvantaged to winning State Titles. The fact WC did speaks volumes as only 1 of 3 that has done so in the past decade and a half. Was proud of Region 6 at that time. :thumb:

Just know that Closed Enrollment schools are greatly disadvantaged to winning State Titles. The fact WC did speaks volumes as only 1 of 3 that has done so in the past decade and a half. Was proud of Region 6 at that time. :thumb:

You are right. Yall have the same problem in Maury County as we do in Wayne County.

We have 2 High School within 12 miles of each other (actually have 3, Frank Hughes, but they are 100 students or less). On average Cwood and WCHS have around 300 kids enrolled each yr. If we was open zoned it would be entirely different but I wouldnt have it any other way because they are a bitter rival and thats why HS sports is fun!

You are correct in that most Counties have subtle differences in zoning policies. I did not know "no child left behind" was no longer policy.

The thing you and I still differ on is the number of transfers. To me it doesn't take massive transfers, of the like you say might happen to bump the numbers enough to warrant TSSAA Class upgrading from 1A to 2A.... Only 2-4 darn good athletes transferring with principal approval *will not* bump them up a class.

If Maury Co. was an Open Enrollment County, if my boy was in the 6th grade at MP middle School, and I eventually wanted him at Central because they have a better football team, all I'd have to do is enroll him at the beginning of the next school year at Central, if they have the room to seat him, he goes there; whether we move to Columbia or not. Per TSSAA rules he sets out 1 year and by the 8th grade year he's fully eligible to play ball again. Within a few years, Championship caliber team could be possible with 2-4 likened transfers.

Now, it would only take 3-4 parents doing this with their kids to make a championship team. Definitely not enough to warrant a bump up in TSSAA Classification. Heck even if 20 kids did this it wouldn't bump the numbers up to do so.

Sadly in Maury Co. one cannot do this. If one lives in MP, one's kid goes to MP. If one lives in Columbia, one's kid goes to Columbia... Though just 8 miles apart. No choice.

Sure Maury Co. could change this but it would be too much for the school board to handle I guess. But it would be just the same for TSSAA to divide the league into new divisions 1-2-3 and make it easier on the County School Systems that 'have to' - I guess - Zone and divide the County Schools into districts.

Closed Enrollment Counties may be inflexible to change, but TSSAA isn't; or at least shouldn't be.

We don't disagree on anything Bigby. ONE great transfer can be a difference maker, and could change the outcome of several games in a season. I'm just agreeing with your main point, while realizing that from TSSAA's standpoint, they can't consider everyone's situation who is at a disadvantage (closed zone), because the disadvantages are all different, and self imposed.

If you're dissatisfied with the policy, go to your representative on the board or the board chairman and explain the shortcomings compared to other systems. If that doesn't work, try the Director of Schools to have it placed on the agenda, and attend the meeting. Most school boards are comprised of community minded folks who would like nothing better than to improve their teams, they alone have the power to change your situation, and if on the agenda it must be addressed. 

I like the idea of all the open enrollment schools play up a class.

Bigster, I'm not sure but isn't Lake County an open zone school system? I know there is only one school in the county but you get to choose from the entire county right? I'm just saying. Be careful what you wish for. There was a time when LC ruled the 1A division.

We only have one high school which is for Lake Co students.We don't have another county school like South Fulton,Obion central .Lake Co doesnt get students Hickman co,Fulton Co. etc.I dont care who really moves up.I love playing Union city,Humboldt and now Dresden and McKenzie.I would rather play those teams and lose,hopfully competitive than beat Fulton Co 60-0.Lake Co has more than held their own with Union City and Humboldt,especially in basketball.And not saying just by wins.Even the year Lake Co lost to the State undefeated basketball championship team,Lake Co could  have beaten them 3 times that  year.For sure 2 of the times.But they didnt but were competitive.A lot of the small tradiitional teams cant say they have played Union City any tougher than Lake Co.Have been some blowouts in football recently but at the same time,how many single A teams have beaten Union City

Edited by mrbigster

We only have one high school which is for Lake Co students.We don't have another county school like South Fulton,Obion central .Lake Co doesnt get students Hickman co,Fulton Co. etc.I dont care who really moves up.I love playing Union city,Humboldt and now Dresden and McKenzie.I would rather play those teams and lose,hopfully competitive than beat Fulton Co 60-0.Lake Co has more than held their own with Union City and Humboldt,especially in basketball.And not saying just by wins.Even the year Lake Co lost to the State undefeated basketball championship team,Lake Co could  have beaten them 3 times that  year.For sure 2 of the times.But they didnt but were competitive.A lot of the small tradiitional teams cant say they have played Union City any tougher than Lake Co.Have been some blowouts in football recently but at the same time,how many single A teams have beaten Union City

By the way.Lake Co is going to rule again..lol

By the way.Lake Co is going to rule again..lol

I hope you are right. There is a lot of tradition down there. The only thing I see standing in your way in recent years is defense. We had that very same problem in 2012. We could score on anybody but couldn't keep the opposing team out of the endzone. With the type offense we run we need a stout defense to help out. When you don't have both sides of the ball covered you are not going to go very far. Good luck.

I hope you are right. There is a lot of tradition down there. The only thing I see standing in your way in recent years is defense. We had that very same problem in 2012. We could score on anybody but couldn't keep the opposing team out of the endzone. With the type offense we run we need a stout defense to help out. When you don't have both sides of the ball covered you are not going to go very far. Good luck.

Same here Swo.LC hired a new defensive cordinator from Obion Central.Not sure we will have the talent or enough talent to stop anyone but should be able to score.I like to talk smack to the UC faithful a lot but I actually love playing UC now with Dresden and Mckenzie and Humbolt, going to be tough.I think LC _Obion Central could be looming soon.A money game.Hopefully football but believe for sure basketball with Paul Decker back at Central and his wife,Kim being the principal at Lake Co.Maybe even Dyersburg in basketball with new LC boys coach from there and Kim also having been part of Dyersburg school system.Just think not too far to travel with Central and Dyersburg and would be money games.I like playing the bigger schools