• Dekalb County
    • Upperman
    • Camden Central
    • McMinn Central
    • Covington
    • Dyersburg
    • Pigeon Forge
    • Elizabethton
    • Not Listed here (comment with team name below)

No open zone would not do much in Waverly, but if Wavery was a suburb a 300k population base, and practiced selective open zoning, pulling in players but keeping numbers low to stay in current classs, it would help a lot. I think the whole problem is everyone in 3a is playing for the exact same trophy, but not by the exact same rules. But I also agree you will never equal it all out, so just line it up and play ball.

true

As you probably know, I have been on the open zone issue for years. Not that I have a problem with it, only that it is a glaring issue that the TSSAA has not addressed as compared to the privates who have a 1.8 multiplier, don't have a "home zone" that automatically brings in talent, and have high tuition as a deterrent to many good athletes attending. Once the TSSAA made a decision to try to level the playing field by separating D2 out and adding in a multiplier for D1 privates, they then have a responsibility NOT to dodge the more complicated issue of open zone schools.

So my question centers around the fact that some schools are "technically" open zone, but realistically, they don't have many out of zone contributors on their team, as compared to other open zone schools that have quite a few out of zone athletes starting or contributing to their success. Not being familiar with Fairview, which category do they fall into?

tell em like it is golvolsknox......tell em how unfair it is for us....we aint got a chance; well we had a chance and blew it......the zombies are comin after us...Boogert tellin you it real

Booger just sayinzombismiley.gif

Yeah I definitely agree with you on the fact that open zones have a distinct advantage just as much if not more than D1 privates. Heck Milan is open zone and I will readily admit it. But I'm not like slot of the people on here that will complain about it. Just line up and give it all ya got. And if the other team is better (whether it be private or open zone) just work harder and do better the next time around.

dang...BPM got some ownership ...tellem like it is...line 'em up.....Alcoa dont complain to much either..at least on here....then again they got about as many championships as Alabama

Booger just sayinrolltideroll.gif

If TSSAA ever addressed the open zone issue you better bet a lot of schools would be closing those zones really quick.

A school I work with has been open zone for about the last five years and for the last three years has not had a single student, athlete or non athlete, choose to attend there. Should that school be treated the same as an Alcoa?

If TSSAA ever addressed the open zone issue you better bet a lot of schools would be closing those zones really quick.

A school I work with has been open zone for about the last five years and for the last three years has not had a single student, athlete or non athlete, choose to attend there. Should that school be treated the same as an Alcoa?

I would think not

You take what I said too far. I never said that was the point.... just that it was my opinion. I agree with everything you have said. All I meant was at the end of the day, people can cry about it or concentrate on being the best they can be and let the chips fall where they may. I prefer the latter.

Yes, I agree, that the players, coaches, and parents should just concentrate on being the best they can be. But I am none of the above. And what I am speaking about is the TSSAA, not players, coaches, or parents. The TSSAA has a job to do. Do it. That is my opinion on the subject. It's not crying. One of my 2 teams is open zone, and the other is D1 private. It doesn't matter. Right is right. The TSSAA needs to be consistent and either lump them all together, or stop ducking the issue of open zones. Yes, it is complicated because some programs aren't in a position to utilize it and other are. But that is the JOB of the TSSAA, to deal with the difficult issues, not just the easy ones that affect the schools with no representation.

Yes, I agree, that the players, coaches, and parents should just concentrate on being the best they can be. But I am none of the above. And what I am speaking about is the TSSAA, not players, coaches, or parents. The TSSAA has a job to do. Do it. That is my opinion on the subject. It's not crying. One of my 2 teams is open zone, and the other is D1 private. It doesn't matter. Right is right. The TSSAA needs to be consistent and either lump them all together, or stop ducking the issue of open zones. Yes, it is complicated because some programs aren't in a position to utilize it and other are. But that is the JOB of the TSSAA, to deal with the difficult issues, not just the easy ones that affect the schools with no representation.

I will say it again.... I agree with everything you are saying. And I was not talking about you when I mentioned other people crying. Some people go on and on about open zones and privates to the point of going overboard. You do not. You mention it in very rationale conversation.

Gerry, this is one of the complicating issues of open zones. There is definitely a difference between the school you described and others that utilize every bit of the  open zone advantage, in their urban area, where they have a very large area to draw talent from. Regardless that this is a complicated issue, this is the responsibility of the TSSAA to find a reasonable solution for. Not just ignore it, when it is more egregious than the issue of D1 privates that they came up with an attempted solution for. At least they made an attempt to level the playing field with D1 privates vs. regular, closed zone public schools. The TSSAA needs to be consistent and either lump them all together and quit trying to pretend to be leveling the playing field, or address the glaring issue of open zones.

Edited by Govolsknox

I will say it again.... I agree with everything you are saying. And I was not talking about you when I mentioned other people crying. Some people go on and on about open zones and privates to the point of going overboard. You do not. You mention it in very rationale conversation.

BPM, I didn't mean at all to call you personally out. I was just pointing out some issues that many people don't take into consideration when considering the whole issue of privates, publics, and open zone vs. avg school district. It's really easy for the uninformed to assume that the privates have all the advantages, when in reality, at least the D1 privates have several imposed and natural deterrents to attracting athletes, while Urban Open Zone schools have no deterrent at this point.

That is all well and good if we're all going to be thrown into the same pot without measures taken to level the playing field. But once the TSSAA starts down the road to level the playing field, they have a responsibility to look at all similarly situated advantages, even if some of them involve schools which have representation on the board, as opposed to just those that don't have representation on the board.

Again, not directing this to you BPM. Just food for thought for those that are open minded about this issue.

there in lise the complication of this thing.......if you are open zoned by everyones accounts you are the same as the others in open zone......just like everyone wants to bundle us up with all the other privates in D2......we not all the same

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

Edited by Booger

I believe the easy answer to the open zoned issue is this. A school can have so many non zoned athletes playing on their team without penalty. The TSSAA would determine that number. Personally I think it should be 3. If a team has more than 3, then add a multiplier. Now that I just said that, it probably wouldn't be realistic from year to year, and would be hard to keep up with.