Goodpasture Football 2015

Rainwater

Another loss on Friday night.  This is 21 straight losses by 3 coaches in 24 months.  I was at the game.  It looked liked few cared.  GCS filled the visitor's stands.  Students wearing jerseys on the sidelines were texting and talking to everyone over the fence during the game.  The Cougars did not show much discipline.  Joslin has a lot to do to get a win in 2016. 

GCS football is not better. Yes we did score more points than last season but it was our One's vs their 2 and 3's. Last year we were in most games, this year, done at Half. Trying to play Skill players at positions to make dads happy so they won't leave. Should have put in an offense such as Wing T or Vear to run the ball more, keep the young defense off the field , instead we line up , throw the ball 3 times and punt or have it picked off. Facility is a joke, supposedly new weight room, basically put some indoor/outdoor carpet down and moved things to make it look different.

Middle School is a joke with 18 players and maybe one or two will contribute in HS. They have a 4 kids who will be eligible next season which will help but a ONE year band aid is all and not enough to make impact on Wins or Losses. There is a reason why Joslin left JP2 , he was getting fired. I am not saying anyone else would have won a game with the talent level , but it is not getting better. They are looking at 0-10 again and he will be fired by 0-5. Heartfelt thanks to Ricky Perry and Principle Judd for ruining the prowd tradition

Why did you bother to register a new name just to spew that crap?

For goodness sakes let it go. It accomplishes nothing except to make you feel better somehow for saying it. LET IT GO.

The situation would not be much better regardless. If you think it would have made that much of a difference then you are delusional.

GCS football is not better. Yes we did score more points than last season but it was our One's vs their 2 and 3's. Last year we were in most games, this year, done at Half. Trying to play Skill players at positions to make dads happy so they won't leave. Should have put in an offense such as Wing T or Vear to run the ball more, keep the young defense off the field , instead we line up , throw the ball 3 times and punt or have it picked off. Facility is a joke, supposedly new weight room, basically put some indoor/outdoor carpet down and moved things to make it look different.

Middle School is a joke with 18 players and maybe one or two will contribute in HS. They have a 4 kids who will be eligible next season which will help but a ONE year band aid is all and not enough to make impact on Wins or Losses. There is a reason why Joslin left JP2 , he was getting fired. I am not saying anyone else would have won a game with the talent level , but it is not getting better. They are looking at 0-10 again and he will be fired by 0-5. Heartfelt thanks to Ricky Perry and Principle Judd for ruining the prowd tradition

You're a clown. Joslin left because it's nearly impossible to

win at JP2. Want another example, maybe Jeff Brothers. He's done pretty good at NCS. Not sure why you would bash Joslin, Inguess your little Johnny isn't getting playing time?

Support a coach and give him a chance. I've seen what he's working with and its limited.

I dont usually get involved in discussions like this but I would like to offer a suggestion that may help?

If the kids aren't playing basketball in the winter put them on the wrestling mat. It is offered as a varsity sport at Goodpasture. Many stand out college and professional football coaches and players attest to the benefits of wrestling for the football player. He will be trained at an intensity level not seen in other sports, and he will gain a valuable understanding of leverage, hip position, eye, hand, and foot coordination all while maintaining his off season conditioning. Besides these obvious benefits he will become more aggressive and less afraid of the guy in front of him and he will learn to scrap with guys his size and sometimes guys bigger than him. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who plays both sports. Who knows, maybe he can become a really good 2 sport athlete as a result.

Wow finally a posible solution other than firing a coach or just whining. This is probably the best post on this thread. If I were a Football Coach I would strongly push a wrestling program.

Another solution...recruit!!! They have added a few players that will be eligible next season. Heard rumors that a few of the Freshmen that played may be leaving if those kids take their place. I say go and don't let the door hit you on the way out. The two I've heard have been talking about leaving for a couple of years. One of them is one of the kids GP administration is so big on keeping because his dad has money.

Another solution...recruit!!! They have added a few players that will be eligible next season. Heard rumors that a few of the Freshmen that played may be leaving if those kids take their place. I say go and don't let the door hit you on the way out. The two I've heard have been talking about leaving for a couple of years. One of them is one of the kids GP administration is so big on keeping because his dad has money.

Sounds to me like you have a problem with the player or his dad. Is the player good? Does his dad have a negative impact on the program in some way? Just curious.

My son has been at GP for 3 years and will be going to the 9th grade. My concerns are the lack of African American teachers and coaches at a school who is located in a community that should reflect this. Maybe someone could shed some insight into this for me, but to my understanding we had a very good coaching prospect who was African American coached at the college level was very successful, had been at GP with his son since Pre-K had tremendous knowledge of the area and access to great student athletes in our demographics but wasn't chosen as the coach or to be insightful in bringing back respectability to the program. In my opinion its going to take someone who can convince parents who have choices to pay tuition for there child to come and play for Goodpasture. I also hear that his son is an excellent athlete and will be attending MBA next year. I love Goodpasture for my son but do not want his 9th grade year and years after that to be filled with loses.

My son has been at GP for 3 years and will be going to the 9th grade. My concerns are the lack of African American teachers and coaches at a school who is located in a community that should reflect this. Maybe someone could shed some insight into this for me, but to my understanding we had a very good coaching prospect who was African American coached at the college level was very successful, had been at GP with his son since Pre-K had tremendous knowledge of the area and access to great student athletes in our demographics but wasn't chosen as the coach or to be insightful in bringing back respectability to the program. In my opinion its going to take someone who can convince parents who have choices to pay tuition for there child to come and play for Goodpasture. I also hear that his son is an excellent athlete and will be attending MBA next year. I love Goodpasture for my son but do not want his 9th grade year and years after that to be filled with loses.

I suppose there's good and bad to where the program is. If your son can play, he should get early playing time. I believe Joslin will turn the program around, but he will have to be given the power to make the necessary changes. I'm not saying he doesn't have that power, I'm just saying its a must. I believe you will see some changes to the staff in time and the makeup of the team. Next year will be better, but I wouldn't expect miracles. It will take a couple of years. The team is young and a couple years down the road the extra playing time should prove valuable.

Why should a private should need to reflect racial demographics of the area it's in? I'm speaking as a black male who attended Maplewood back in the early 80's, by the way. Anyway, if that's the case, you'll need to add quite a few Hispanics into the mix, both teachers and students

Let me clarify I'm speaking specifically to GP not having any minority teachers or coaches and not having any for many years. We are in a region with Stratford, Whites Creek, and East Nashville. We have to have a coach or coaches that can relate, coach, and motivate the African American student athlete in order for us to be successful. BGA, FRA, Lipscomb Academy, and CPA all have African American staff in some form of capacity that help in recruiting rather it be in admissions or on the football field.

I suppose there's good and bad to where the program is. If your son can play, he should get early playing time. I believe Joslin will turn the program around, but he will have to be given the power to make the necessary changes. I'm not saying he doesn't have that power, I'm just saying its a must. I believe you will see some changes to the staff in time and the makeup of the team. Next year will be better, but I wouldn't expect miracles. It will take a couple of years. The team is young and a couple years down the road the extra playing time should prove valuable.

I agree your response makes sense and relates to my response to another post. I agree that Joslin is a good guy and possible a good coach but right now we don't know if he is a good coach because the talent pool is so low at Goodpasture that no one would be successful. It is imperative that we hire someone who can recruit good players and student athletes or surround Joslin with a better coaching staff and cooperation with admin and admissions on being competitive with other schools. Lets face it JP2 and Davidson Academy are in D2 and are handing out money. We are in a demographic with a lot of talented players but we have no one who can relate or recruit these players to come to GCS.