Goodpasture Football 2015

Rainwater

It does say Goodpasture Christian School not Goodpasture Church of Christ so IMO the coach should not have to be church of Christ to be hired nor should the English or Math teacher be either, with that said it does limit the pool but doesn't mean you cant find a good coach and good teachers if that's the criteria, after all its a business model so Im sure that's not made to the public if that's a criteria. I don't think just because you value athletics and make it a point of concern means that you don't have any morals. There are a lot of great things going on at Goodpasture but a bad football team is what everybody is going to associate the school with. Its funny because the coach that I endorsed reached out to former players that were mentioned Benny Cunningham, Patrick Turner, Keenan Reynolds, and obtained there support for the job, not to mention he coached the only winning team at Goodpasture in awhile the 5th and 6th graders last year lol In fact I hear they are having a camp in Goodlettsville this summer along with Jalen Hurd because of this same coach. That's the last time I'll mention that coach so Ill get off my soap box on that. Again I myself am a paying parent and feel that we have to get Joslin someone on the staff and in the building that can help recruit talent such as the great athletes that have been mentioned on this thread because we are no longer in a position like Martin was to basically say just come to Goodpasture its a different time and day. Is anybody from Goodpasture looking at the Goodlettsville Trojans, Hendersonville Titans, Bordaeux Eagles for talent do we have someone that can build these relationships we have to do it to become relevant. We cant just hire a good coach and think that's going to solve the problem Joslin needs talent and how is he going to get it and what support is he going to have in doing it.....I would like for my sons 9th grade year to at least be productive.

Did you see them??? I did. VERY LITTLE talent and what talent is there is very young and inexperienced. That was an 0-10 team.

I did brother/sister (your gender isn't specified, so please forgive me...lol) Eers & I still don't believe they were a winless team last season. Don't know if it was play calling, scheme/strategy, the kids tanking, or just flat out a lower talent pool, but it did not work. The biggest issue I had with the games I watched was the energy level & enthusiasm. Coaches & players alike looked like they did not care about success & was just happy to be out there in general. Just my own personal observation...

Edited by SouthernVUMan2

When Goodpasture was a strong program weren't we always reading on here that their talent just consisted ofwhat happened to be in the halls (even SEC and PAC 10 talent). Now it seems to be implied, or flat out stated, a successful coach there would need to go get talent from elsewhere. Which is it?

Lol, I agree. I'm a little confused over here too. However, I do believe GCS has what they need to win games. Whether it's used correctly or whether the kids are inspired to play to their full potential is another question...

Edited by SouthernVUMan2

Tee Martin goodpasture should not be "recruiting" anyone. In case you haven't noticed they play in a classification where recruiting is not allowed. Also goodpasture has standards in place for a reason. If you don't like those standards why is your child there? Who is this all powerful coach you speak of and do you not agree that coaching 5th and 6th graders is a lot different than coaching high school? 

Joslin is a good coach. It will take time to rebuild this proud program. 

Question...will Joslin be happy even staying there if it is going to take time? I would assume one of the reasons he left JPII is because they had a hard time competing with the big dogs with their talent level. If they go DII next time which I assume they will, would he not be right back in the situation he left at JPII? I hope he stays and can turn it around, but it will not be easy. Wasn't GP in DII at one time? If so, why did they go back?

With the talent(and please don't say it is a talent issue, and that they can't win ONE game!?) and depth, based on number of players on the team, Goodpasture is much better than an 0-10 team. Where does the finger get pointed now, since some clearly thinks it is not a coaching issue...??

Edited by Sackmaster50

Sackmaster, with all due respect you have no idea what is going on there.

Bottom line. The last two years were wasted. The kids were not pushed. The work ethic disappeared completely. The weight program was a joke. They were basically on their own. Because of that you now have a group that is extremely undersized and just plain WEAK.

You now have the burden of rebuilding a culture. The seniors had not been made to WORK at football since their freshman year. The juniors, sophs and freshmen had NEVER done any work to speak of. It is human nature to take the path of least resistance. It will take awhile to fix the work ethic problem and establish the effort needed to be successful.

What you have seen this year is kids that had not fully bought into actually having to work to get better. You get what you put into it.

Thankfully there  is some talent in the freshman class. However, it is very very raw. Whether Coach Joslin can get them to fully buy in and WORK to get better remains to be seen. It would be nice if he could bring a couple of assistants in as well, but I don't know the chances of that.

Sackmaster, with all due respect you have no idea what is going on there.

Bottom line. The last two years were wasted. The kids were not pushed. The work ethic disappeared completely. The weight program was a joke. They were basically on their own. Because of that you now have a group that is extremely undersized and just plain WEAK.

You now have the burden of rebuilding a culture. The seniors had not been made to WORK at football since their freshman year. The juniors, sophs and freshmen had NEVER done any work to speak of. It is human nature to take the path of least resistance. It will take awhile to fix the work ethic problem and establish the effort needed to be successful.

What you have seen this year is kids that had not fully bought into actually having to work to get better. You get what you put into it.

Thankfully there  is some talent in the freshman class. However, it is very very raw. Whether Coach Joslin can get them to fully buy in and WORK to get better remains to be seen. It would be nice if he could bring a couple of assistants in as well, but I don't know the chances of that.

You're correct, I have no clue what goes on behind the Cougar doors, but I know what I saw on the field. The product on the field speaks volumes, in my opinion. Fundamental football is what's needed. Teaching kids proper technique, taking good angles, lining up properly on the field. As I am sure you know, repetition of fundamentally sound technique will go a long ways. Am I saying they would've won a lot more games? No, but I think the zero on the Win side of the column could've been a 2 or 3. I don't see why there can't be somebody there that can utilize what they do have, and the kids that are willing to work, to produce a better product on the field. Once again though, where does the finger point...?? It eventually has to land somewhere.

Tee Martin goodpasture should not be "recruiting" anyone. In case you haven't noticed they play in a classification where recruiting is not allowed. Also goodpasture has standards in place for a reason. If you don't like those standards why is your child there? Who is this all powerful coach you speak of and do you not agree that coaching 5th and 6th graders is a lot different than coaching high school? 

Joslin is a good coach. It will take time to rebuild this proud program. 

I disagree with your statement about Goodpasture shouldn't be recruiting anyone. I think first that I may need to clarify what the definition and context of the word RECRUIT, and what I mean by it. Im simply saying that Goodpasture must find student athletes who are Christian and have good backgrounds that are willing to pay for tuition, with that said it takes someone who has great communication skills and and ties to the community to engage these families on all Goodpasture has to offer. I'm not sure why you brought up standards as to imply that I was saying my school which I invest my dollars for my sons education, that I would want them to break any rules or lower there morals. This is what makes Goodpastures Head coaching position so unique because of the financial restraints it puts on the student athlete when other schools fork out money or do break rules. As far as the coach IMO that would have been a good hire, he has a great resume and volunteered his services because he had a son on the team. You are correct it will take time to rebuild the program but to think that student athletes are just going to come to Goodpasture without any healthy persuasive conversation is not building a program. Ive gotten several families to come to Goodpasture by word of mouth and my positive experience. And Goodpasture even gives a REFERRAL FEE for engaging families.