Gerry Bertier's Unofficial 3A playoff predictions and Top 10 Poll

Gerry Bertier

After some on the T were calling for my predictions. I have climbed out of the pile of baby toys to put together my predictions for the 3A Playoffs. Remember this year the TSSAA reverted back to the old region system that puts the region winner vs. the 4th place finisher of the adjacent region and so on.

The TSSAA sets the tiebreaker rules for every region across the state and here those are for anyone wondering.

The following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular-season games, both region and non-region,shall count (After each of the following steps have been applied, item C above shall be applied.):

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.

2. The team who plays the greatest number of teams who win 50 percent or more of their games.

3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.

4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.

5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.

6. Coin Flip

Remember these are my predictions on how I see the regular season playing out. Some may agree or disagree with my predictions and that is what makes this fun.

Region 1-1 Elizabethton

Region 2-4 McMinn Central

Region 1-3 Northview Academy

Region 2-2 CAK

Region 1-2 Pigeon Forge

Region 2-3 Kingston

Region 1-4 Unicoi Co.

Region 2-1 Alcoa

Region 3-1 East Ridge

Region 4-4 Smith Co.

Region 3-3 Red Bank

Region 4-2 DeKalb Co.

Region 3-2 Notre Dame

Region 4-3 Sequatchie Co.

Region 3-4 Chattanooga Christian

Region 4-1 Upperman

Region 5-1 CPA

Region 6-4 Harpeth

Region 5-3 Stratford

Region 6-2 Sycamore

Region 5-2 White House Hertiage

Region 6-3 Camden

Region 5-4 East Nashville

Region 6-1 Fairview

Region 7-1 Liberty Tech

Region 8-4 Fayette Ware

Region 7-3 Westview

Region 8-2 Melrose

Region 7-2 Milan

Region 8-3 Bolivar Central

Region 7-4 Dyersburg

Region 8-1 Covington

Gerry Bertier's Top 3A Poll as of games played of last week

1. Alcoa

2. CPA

3. CAK

4. Liberty Tech

5. Elizabethton

6. Milan

7. East Ridge

8. Kingston

9. Upperman

10. DeKalb Co.

I will do 4A later this evening or tomorrow.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Gerry, going off your predictions I'm assuming you believe Upperman will beat DeKalb County on the 23rd? That's a very fair and reasonable pick that I'm not trying to argue against. Upperman has a fine team and both teams are currently undefeated in region play.

DC has a bye week this Friday while Upperman has a seemingly tough game versus Smith County. Like I said I'm not arguing against your DC/Upperman pick. Upperman is good and tested, plus they will be hosting us. Why do you believe Upperman wins this game though? Just curious and would enjoy hearing your insight on this huge upcoming match up. If Upperman wins this Friday then our game will be for sole first place in the region, and in all likelihood the region championship too.

IF your predictions turn out to be true, how do you see the first round game between DC and Red Bank playing out in Smithville? Who do you like to win? I don't know much about RB besides their record. Hopefully they don't have any Gerald Riggs Jr caliber type of  5 star players on their team anymore.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

So Gerry, going off your predictions I'm assuming you believe Upperman will beat DeKalb County on the 23rd? That's a very fair and reasonable pick that I'm not trying to argue against. Upperman has a fine team and both teams are currently undefeated in region play.

DC has a bye week this Friday while Upperman has a seemingly tough game versus Smith County. Like I said I'm not arguing against your DC/Upperman pick. Upperman is good and tested, plus they will be hosting us. Why do you believe Upperman wins this game though? Just curious and would enjoy hearing your insight on this huge upcoming match up. If Upperman wins this Friday then our game will be for sole first place in the region, and in all likelihood the region championship too.

IF your predictions turn out to be true, how do you see the first round game between DC and Red Bank playing out in Smithville? Who do you like to win? I don't know much about RB besides their record. Hopefully they don't have any Gerald Riggs Jr caliber type of  5 star players on their team anymore.

Given Upperman and DeKalb Co.'s out of conference schedule and results and their common opponents I feel like Upperman is a TD favorite over DeKalb. I think they have a better defense which will given them the edge in the game.

I think Red Bank would be a 13 pt. underdog going up to DeKalb Co. in the first round of the playoffs. Red Bank has pretty good team speed, but I feel like DeKalb Co. will be too much to handle up front.

Given Upperman and DeKalb Co.'s out of conference schedule and results and their common opponents I feel like Upperman is a TD favorite over DeKalb. I think they have a better defense which will given them the edge in the game.

I think Red Bank would be a 13 pt. underdog going up to DeKalb Co. in the first round of the playoffs. Red Bank has pretty good team speed, but I feel like DeKalb Co. will be too much to handle up front.

Thanks for your input. It would be hard to argue against any of that. Often times when two teams are so evenly matched it comes down to who has the best player. I believe 97% of people would say DC has the best player in our QB Jennings.

I've thought long and hard about this game. As much as it kills me to say, as things stand now, I believe Upperman should be a slight favorite. This is mainly due to them hosting the game, but a couple of other small reasons too.

Also on a side note. Just how truly good is East Ridge? You have to be pretty decent to still be undefeated, but look at who they've played and how they played them too.

They've only played 1 team with a winning record, which was 4-3 ND. They've played 3 winless teams, one 1 win team, one 2 win team , an one 3 win team. That's a grand total of 10 wins between the 7 teams they've played. It's hard for me to get a good reading on ER.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

Thanks for your input. It would be hard to argue against any of that. Often times when two teams are so evenly matched it comes down to who has the best player. I believe 97% of people would say DC has the best player in our QB Jennings.

I've thought long and hard about this game. As much as it kills me to say, as things stand now, I believe Upperman should be a slight favorite. This is mainly due to them hosting the game, but a couple of other small reasons too.

Also on a side note. Just how truly good is East Ridge? You have to be pretty decent to still be undefeated, but look at who they've played and how they played them too.

They've only played 1 team with a winning record, which was 4-3 ND. They've played 3 winless teams, one 1 win team, one 2 win team , an one 3 win team. That's a grand total of 10 wins between the 7 teams they've played. It's hard for me to get a good reading on ER.

Any rankings without CPA #1 with their schedule and how they played through injuries is incorrect.

Should be CPA 1, Alcoa 2, CAK 3. However, CAK would have to play very good to beat CPA or Alcoa.

All three are great teams and programs.

Im surprised about Upperman being in the top 10? They dress 752 kids but they just didn't seem like they had enough to be a title contender. If they play any of the top 3 in the playoffs they will be substantial underdogs.

Edited by Playerscoach

Any rankings without CPA #1 with their schedule and how they played through injuries is incorrect.

Should be CPA 1, Alcoa 2, CAK 3. However, CAK would have to play very good to beat CPA or Alcoa.

All three are great teams and programs.

You can have your opinion but I have seen CPA play in person and I can tell you that they are not as good as they have been in previous seasons. They are solid but they are beatable. They barely got by Alcoa last year and the Tornadoes are better than they were last year.

You can have your opinion but I have seen CPA play in person and I can tell you that they are not as good as they have been in previous seasons. They are solid but they are beatable. They barely got by Alcoa last year and the Tornadoes are better than they were last year.

When did you see them? Were they healthy? You think CAK is better? CPA has way too much speed for CAK IMO and ive seen both.

When healthy they are a dynamic running team and defensively.

I disagree with you but thats why we discuss these things.