District 9 AA Thoughts

thebasketballGURU

Congrats to the Cubs and Coach Stuart on another outstanding season! Best wishes to Austin Douglas as he takes his talents to the collegiate level. He is a tremendous student athlete and I am sure has set a great example for the underclassmen on that team. He will thrive at the next level bc of his work ethic and discipline. Nate Goode and Gage Lipscomb will also be missed and finish their high school careers as 4 time District Champions. These guys are simply winners and success breeds more success. Will the Cubs be as good next year? Maybe not, but most people thought there would be a dropoff last year and they still won 20 games and another 9aa championship. I would not put it past them to repeat again. Good luck to Coach Stuart and the Cubs going forward.

Mumble ,i agree and hope your right. I'm not knocking any of those kids at all or Coach Stuart. My kid plays sports and attends there as well and I couldn't beat any of them 1 on 1!!!!

Hard work over the summer can make a huge difference. I know the have a ridiculous ball handler coming from the middle school who has great court vision.

JJ I know your a cub fan like myself but they will be down for awhile. Those are good kids you listed coming back but none are AAU type studs who can carry a team. None of this kids made any significance in last nights game against Maplewood and that's the level they need to be at to survive and advance during tournaments.

They'll have to be much more all around next year no question about it. I have known this year's junior class since they were in the 6th grade playing at CMS. I feel like they'll put in the work necessary to continue what has taken place over the last 5 years. I wouldn't bet against Coach Stuart and Co. to make one more strong showing. He will demand that they put in the work in the gym to get themselves better as players.

You're absolutely right in that I am a huge fan of the Cubs basketball program. Coach Dawson & Coach Stuart took a program that hit rock bottom and rebuilt it from the ground up and now 5 years later the Cubs fans can say that the last 5 seasons have produced 121 wins to just 23 losses. I haven't attended but maybe 6-8 basketball games of the Cubs over the last 4 years but I have been very proud of the kids and coaches every step of the way.

9aa can't hang with 10aa this year that's a proven. If bo hodges doesn't leave which he transfers so much it's a possibility then maple wood will be obvious favorites for region next year. But WH will compete next year for a region championship. Jared Ward is coming into his own and his ole running mate will hopefully come home next year. Btw his un named running mate that will hopefully come back next year would of been white houses best player this year had he stayed. That's a if. But if he doesn't come back White House will still compete strong. If he does come back watch out!!

If you are talking about that Elliott boy let me tell you WH guys something you cant take the bomb from Hiroshima and turn into a sniper rifle.Which means you cant make a mix tape kid into a basketball player, it cant be done, I have watched many coaches try and I have watched this kid play for several years out here before he moved up there to you. He has one thing on his mind and it is go go go. I know white house is trying to play up tempo but it is controlled tempo and he cant even do that. He is a roll the ball out there and let him play take his turnovers take his points take his bad decision making type of player and if you cant live with that (most coaches cant) then he is not for your style. He is a memphis type of player coach is there to sub but the 5 out there just play like AAU style. Could he help a team, without a doubt, but he could just as easily bring one down and lose you several games. Super athletic. Stood out more in middle school cause he was bigger and faster, saw him this summer play and didnt look as good and now he didnt play this year? I might be wrong on that but havent heard his name this year, transfer ineligible? Hope he finds his spot or grows into a basketball PLAYER instead of a guy who plays basketball.

As for what I witnessed from the stand the other night agianst East...WH looked shell shocked I think Ward number 2 freshman got the start, hopefully that wasnt his first start of the year. but it did look like it, he was not ready for that speed he looked like a freshman. I have seen yall play a few times this year and he has looked great, this was the first time he looked nervous but what a learning experience for him for next year. But the other freshman that played looked fine out there, if he grows any that could be the PLAYER in the class. He is smart makes good decisons dosent turn it over rebounds. still lost a little on D adjusting to speed probably but I like his game, They have a nice young core of freshmen. The loss of the PG is going to be huge, there is no one on that team right now to replace what he can do, period. he can really play and have a feeling a lot of colleges have no idea who he is. The shock I had most about that game was number 1 inability to play in that game, he plays aau with and against those same kids he knows the speed of the game and he had if I had to guess 15-18 turnovers, from the key guy that cant happen, if you want to win the game. but hey i do agree with you on this, wh WILL win this district next year and maybe even 3 straight idk that is hard to judge who comes who goes from all the teams.

haven't posted on here all year because I was just curious as to how everything played out this year and I personally like to keep my mouth shut until I get all the facts. here is the deal, while Cheatham has owned the district for a number of years, to think that their time isn't up would be very foolish and biased in my opinion. I have followed the WH program to an extent and I know that their JV didn't have very many close games this season (especially CC game which they won by about 35). With that being said it is hard to think that them playing youth this whole season and finishing .500 won't pay dividens for them in the future. I am pretty sure they played 3 jr's maybe 3 sophomores and 3 freshmen after christmas quite a bit. As for the Ward kid, he is indeed special finished avg around 8 pts a game as a freshman, but as mentioned the real talent is supposedly coming back next year in the kid from SC. to think that he won't be able to contribute immediately is also crazy becasue if a kid can score the ball, it really doesn't matter the system and WH ran a ton of free lance stuff last part of the year. Now I will admit that we won't truly see his potential until they are all JR's, but the future is promising for that class. Also agree with the other freshman, #3 maybe? handles himself well and can really really shoot it. In closing, I think that yes this year Cheatham was the only team able to compete with the other district, but they also have the "EXPERIENCE" of being in those games before. Hard not to think that with the "EXPERIENCE" WH got this year that they won't be in the same boat for the next couple of years. 

First off I would like to welcome myself to this message board thing, I have read all these all year long. Some of it is pretty comical gets me a nice laugh in the mornings at work, and others are pretty outlandish but hey that is why people remain anonymous on here to be able to say what they want to without shame, me personally if you knew me I will tell you how it is face to face or on here I am that type of guy! But I wanted to wait until everyone in the district I am from was eliminated and with CC going out the other night that has become official! With that being said first off congrats to CC on winning the district yet again, an amazing accomplishment to say the least. Also to Douglas and Goode two really good character guys parents and coaches should be proud, Douglas is a true warrior determined to win every play and thats all you can ask a kid to do at this level and in this district a kid like that can win you the league every year because lets be honest, it is a very weak district as everyone as seen in the region, I will enjoy watching him play at the next level if he chooses to do so. Goode in my opinion is what you need from a caption floor leader, I am sure a lot of players hated playing against him and probably thought he was a little dirty or whatever you want to call it, well where I am from we call that playing with an edge/chippiness and all coaches wish they had a team full of him. I just wanted to thank them and congratulate them on great careers well done boys!

As for this season in general it went pretty much as expected in my world CC won as predicted all so in my opinion is the only team in the district that doesn't hate WH i feel as if every other schools "rival" now is WH idk why that is but is funny to witness...Westmoreland had a great year with all the seniors it is very hard to determine the will to win from Sr. and when and if they buy in you can have a great year! I am sure they expected to go further. WH finished with the same record as the previous year, a senior heave team last year vs a super young team this year the only constant between the two teams was the PG he played about the same amount of minutes both years. Harpeth another good year always going to win games as long as their coach is there. One of the best in the area always has his kids ready to play.Sycamore, I fell like they should have won more games then they did, what can you say about Brown I have said it for awhile if he was 6'2 or wasn't an absolute stud in baseball (so I have been told) he could name his school for basketball, I loved watching him play! Heritage was a pretty young team as well had some signs of being really good coming into their own and games where they looked like they were they didn't really care. Up and down year to say the least but if you asked them I bet they think they underachieved and I agree. Greenbrier was not as bad as the record indicates 6 losses of under double digits and 4 of those six were 2 possessions or less games, so they were right there as well. Like I said previously minus cheatham everyone else was pretty even this year! Maybe I will be more active next year maybe I will only write in the off season who knows ha! But I am definitely ready for next year to begin!

Predictions for next year based on the teams this year (no transfers in or out) just upcoming players

1.WH

2. CC

3. WHH

4. Greenbrier

5. Harpeth

6. Westmoreland

7. Sycamore

Harpeth Greenbrier Heriatge 3,4,5 in any order