Harp's Last Game At Lebanon

Rade Butcher

Why is there so much talk about Wilson County coaches job status? I don't see anything about other schools coaches losing their jobs. Brentwood, Gallatin, Station Camp, Antioch, Warren County, I hate to include Siegal with all the other things that has happened to them this year. Lavergne was supposed to compete with Indy and they are struggling to make the playoffs. There are a lot of other schools besides Wilson County schools struggling. Maybe it's because if you insult our coaches schools and players, it makes for a good argument? To all those schools I mentioned I am not insulting your coaches or schools, I just wanted to point out that other teams under achieved this year, not just Wilson County teams.

I'm not really sure why you say that, other than you must not have read some of the other threads. Perhaps it's because the other talk of coaches wasn't a post dedicated to their replacement. Perhaps it's because people feel every school in Wilson County has underachieved. I don't know.

I have seen some posts mentioning Gallatin and even Station Camp on a different thread. With that said neither of those coaches is going anywhere. Of the two a change is more likely at Gallatin, the coaches at SC will be there until they choose to leave. Warren County and Antioch don't appear to have as many posters on here.

Edited by eers

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coaches past does not matter if results are not positive during current times! No one cares about his glory days in Kentucky, quite frankly Kentucky football is very sub par.

Fact is there are only about 10 really good programs in the entire state of KY that compete for and win titles...Harp's teams at Danville was one of those 10 and they were very solid. His record there speaks for itself...however there are 10 teams within a 50 mile radius of Nashville in 6A alone that are solid and capable of winning titles. The good folks in Lebanon obviously thought they were going to get instant success simply because he won football titles in what everyone in the civilized world knows is a basketball crazy state. Just hasn't happened but that has nothing to do with his legacy...just means things are different in TN.

Fact is there are only about 10 really good programs in the entire state of KY that compete for and win titles...Harp's teams at Danville was one of those 10 and they were very solid. His record there speaks for itself...however there are 10 teams within a 50 mile radius of Nashville in 6A alone that are solid and capable of winning titles. The good folks in Lebanon obviously thought they were going to get instant success simply because he won football titles in what everyone in the civilized world knows is a basketball crazy state. Just hasn't happened but that has nothing to do with his legacy...just means things are different in TN.

I attribute it to being associated with you or just a school you're involved with in general

I am unsure whether Harp is a great coach or a mediocre one. But one thing that I do know is that every Lebanon fan or former player that I have ever met is delusional in regards to the talent level of the players at Lebanon. You do not have the talent to consistently win games on the 6A level. I agree with an earlier post in that most talented players zoned for Lebanon do not want to go there. For example, FCS's starting quarterback that is on the verge of committing to UT was zoned for Lebanon. In summation, Lebanon fans should be happy that they won 3 games this year. It takes a very long time to change a culture of losing.

I am unsure whether Harp is a great coach or a mediocre one. But one thing that I do know is that every Lebanon fan or former player that I have ever met is delusional in regards to the talent level of the players at Lebanon. You do not have the talent to consistently win games on the 6A level. I agree with an earlier post in that most talented players zoned for Lebanon do not want to go there. For example, FCS's starting quarterback that is on the verge of committing to UT was zoned for Lebanon. In summation, Lebanon fans should be happy that they won 3 games this year. It takes a very long time to change a culture of losing.

THANK YOU

One other thing that all of us should consider are the assistant coaches that Harp has had thrust upon him. I have heard unconfirmed rumors that there were no Social Studies or PE positions available when he was looking to hire assistant coaches. If this is true, the administartion is crippling the football program.  I would be curious to know how many assistants that he has been allowed to hire? Additionally, how many has he been allowed to let go from the Crane regime? I know this seems like a trivial detail, but quality assistant coaches could lead to an additional 1-2 wins a year.

One of them was a head coach in MNPS from 1969-1992.  He compiled an overall record of 164-63-2 as a head coach and is still regarded by many as one of the best football coaches in the history of the state.  

Another one of them was once a head coach at two different schools and is still an active assistant coach at McGavock.  He won a state title as a defensive coordinator in 2003 and was the DC for a couple of other teams that were able to reach the state finals at Hillsboro in the early 2000's.  

Another one of them has been a defensive coordinator at a Virginia powerhouse, a regular playoff qualifier in East-TN (Daniel Boone), a defensive coordinator at LaVergne High School, and is currently the DC at Independence High School who by the way is currently 9-0 on the season.

That's not a shabby trio of coaches to "shun/run off" for a good program.  Oh I forgot Lebanon is a football program that is a powerhouse in the making and only needs God to coach them to win on a consistent basis.  

Why is there so much talk about Wilson County coaches job status? I don't see anything about other schools coaches losing their jobs. Brentwood, Gallatin, Station Camp, Antioch, Warren County, I hate to include Siegal with all the other things that has happened to them this year. Lavergne was supposed to compete with Indy and they are struggling to make the playoffs. There are a lot of other schools besides Wilson County schools struggling. Maybe it's because if you insult our coaches schools and players, it makes for a good argument? To all those schools I mentioned I am not insulting your coaches or schools, I just wanted to point out that other teams under achieved this year, not just Wilson County teams.

I think that the underlying issue here is the lack of support at the county level for athletics in Wilson County. These include, higher pay for teachers, better insurance benefits, and higher coaching supplements. I have heard of numerous coaches who turned down positions at a Wilson County School due to the lack of pay and benefits. 

As a county, we have to self-evaluate our athletic programs to find where the weaknesses are across the board. We also need to analyze and evaluate what other counties with successful athletic programs are doing. (EX. Rutherford and Williamson) Although demographics and socio-economic status are much different, there has to be some improvements that can be made to foster growth.

Unfortunately, these changes must come from the Director of Schools. Which is difficult in the current educational climate that expects academic growth. 

One of them was a head coach in MNPS from 1969-1992.  He compiled an overall record of 164-63-2 as a head coach and is still regarded by many as one of the best football coaches in the history of the state.  

Another one of them was once a head coach at two different schools and is still an active assistant coach at McGavock.  He won a state title as a defensive coordinator in 2003 and was the DC for a couple of other teams that were able to reach the state finals at Hillsboro in the early 2000's.  

Another one of them has been a defensive coordinator at a Virginia powerhouse, a regular playoff qualifier in East-TN (Daniel Boone), a defensive coordinator at LaVergne High School, and is currently the DC at Independence High School who by the way is currently 9-0 on the season.

That's not a shabby trio of coaches to "shun/run off" for a good program.  Oh I forgot Lebanon is a football program that is a powerhouse in the making and only needs God to coach them to win on a consistent basis.  

I appreciate the intel LBD. Always refreshing to have some on the boards that is well informed.

No it doesn't. At least it doesn't have to. 

I believe another one is currently an assistant at BGA. Last two years anyway.