Mr. Football Semifinalists Announced

TheAmbassador

I dont think he should be penalized for playing on a bad team.He had a better team last year.He had about 400 more yards last year but that was counting 3 playoff games.If he had 3 more playoff games this year,and got his average of 230 yards a game,would finish with 3,000 yards.So this year was even better with him being on a terrible team.Plus played against 3 of the toughest teams

in the State in Union City,Dresden and Trenton.Had about 200 yards against Union CityPlus played on defense,offense ,kickoffs,punts .Put him on a Dresden,Union City,Wayne Co and no telling what he could do..Dont know if the other players also play both ways or just on offense.Wonder what Rice's numbers would have been against Trenton,Union City or Dresden.A lot of players are thought to have a great season with a 1,000 yards or averaging a 100 yards a game.Wilkes averaged 230 yards a game playing against some not so good teams in which he could have had 500 yards,Fulton co, Greenfield.Had over 200 yards at the half.But also played against Dresden,Union City and Trenton.Two of them are the number 1 and 2 teams in the state .And all the while ,everyone knew he was Lake Co's only weapon and still had trouble.Plus not counting his receiving yardage and probably had 200 passing yardsLike Horse from Huntingdon said,Wilkes is the best back.But will he be penalized because of where he lives and the team he happened to play for this year.

Rices numbers wouldn't have been much different, trust me. You have to remember, from what wildcat2 says, he has only played 2 full gsmes. And In all honesty has probably only played the 1st quarter in a bunch of games. I believe Preston Rice is as deserving as anybody and he deserves to win Mr. Football in class 1a this year. It's a great honor to be nominated, how cool!

I dont think he should be penalized for playing on a bad team.He had a better team last year.He had about 400 more yards last year but that was counting 3 playoff games.If he had 3 more playoff games this year,and got his average of 230 yards a game,would finish with 3,000 yards.So this year was even better with him being on a terrible team.Plus played against 3 of the toughest teams

in the State in Union City,Dresden and Trenton.Had about 200 yards against Union CityPlus played on defense,offense ,kickoffs,punts .Put him on a Dresden,Union City,Wayne Co and no telling what he could do..Dont know if the other players also play both ways or just on offense.Wonder what Rice's numbers would have been against Trenton,Union City or Dresden.A lot of players are thought to have a great season with a 1,000 yards or averaging a 100 yards a game.Wilkes averaged 230 yards a game playing against some not so good teams in which he could have had 500 yards,Fulton co, Greenfield.Had over 200 yards at the half.But also played against Dresden,Union City and Trenton.Two of them are the number 1 and 2 teams in the state .And all the while ,everyone knew he was Lake Co's only weapon and still had trouble.Plus not counting his receiving yardage and probably had 200 passing yardsLike Horse from Huntingdon said,Wilkes is the best back.But will he be penalized because of where he lives and the team he happened to play for this year.

Rices numbers wouldn't have been much different, trust me. You have to remember, from what wildcat2 says, he has only played 2 full gsmes. And In all honesty has probably only played the 1st quarter in a bunch of games. I believe Preston Rice is as deserving as anybody and he deserves to win Mr. Football in class 1a this year. It's a great honor to be nominated, how cool!

wikes going 5 & 5 at. lake co is more impressive than rice and winn winning 9 & 10 games at their schools.put rice or winn on lake co team nobody never knows who they are.

Lol you've lost it buddy! How does it make you feel that you're bashing 15-16 year old kids? I understand smack talk In all but you've gotten carried away. Don't disrespect 2 kids just because 1 beat your team and the other could beat your team. I'm sure Wilkes is a good player, but to say the other 2 wouldn't have made a name is absolutely looney!

I was getting ready to get back on and say the same thing.With Lake Co only having about 23 players and really no other running backs or stud receivers,if these guys were playing at Lake Co,they wouldnt have the passing yards as they do now.What Wilkes has done has been impressive.I've seen Winn and he is a great athlete as well but he has a lot of help.But no matter ,congrats to all the players.But I do know :if no Wilkes at Lake Co,the only game they would have won would had been Fulton co.Definitely wouldnt havent beaten West Carrol,and Humboldt who he rushed for 303 yards against and had to score at the end of the game to win.The last two games were all basically on just Wilkes.Quarterback just quti Thursday and the next night or 9th game,in comes Union City.Wilkes rushes for close to 200 yards.With no quarterback or other running backs.Wilkes ran from the Wildcat,touching the ball every play and Union City knowing he was left,right or up the middle.Occassionally he threw a pass or gave it to someone on an end around.Didnt play the last 8 minutes of the game.Same against Humboldt.He had 303 rushing yards.Didnt realize it at the time but was listening to a Humboldt guy that calls in about Humboldt every week to the radio station.Said Wilkes was just so quick and out of all the plays Lake Co ran,only 6 attempts went to other players.Wilkes ran the plays,all by himself ,other than 6 playsHeard a black lady saying to a guy at the gate as we were leaving after the Humboldt game.She said ,"A 1 man team"Maybe she didnt know that the quarterback had quit the previous week and also a receiver about 4 weeks ago,to concentrate on basketball..Wilkes is a special player.

Another question to ask would be, what IF Rice and Winn had played as many quarters as Wilkes? How much better would their numbers be? It's not really a fair analysis when you have one finalist who has played the whole season while the other 2 have played half a season if not less. I'm just making conversation. Not taking anything away from anyone at all!

I was getting ready to get back on and say the same thing.With Lake Co only having about 23 players and really no other running backs or stud receivers,if these guys were playing at Lake Co,they wouldnt have the passing yards as they do now.What Wilkes has done has been impressive.I've seen Winn and he is a great athlete as well but he has a lot of help.But no matter ,congrats to all the players.But I do know :if no Wilkes at Lake Co,the only game they would have won would had been Fulton co.Definitely wouldnt havent beaten West Carrol,and Humboldt who he rushed for 303 yards against and had to score at the end of the game to win.The last two games were all basically on just Wilkes.Quarterback just quti Thursday and the next night or 9th game,in comes Union City.Wilkes rushes for close to 200 yards.With no quarterback or other running backs.Wilkes ran from the Wildcat,touching the ball every play and Union City knowing he was left,right or up the middle.Occassionally he threw a pass or gave it to someone on an end around.Didnt play the last 8 minutes of the game.Same against Humboldt.He had 303 rushing yards.Didnt realize it at the time but was listening to a Humboldt guy that calls in about Humboldt every week to the radio station.Said Wilkes was just so quick and out of all the plays Lake Co ran,only 6 attempts went to other players.Wilkes ran the plays,all by himself ,other than 6 playsHeard a black lady saying to a guy at the gate as we were leaving after the Humboldt game.She said ,"A 1 man team"Maybe she didnt know that the quarterback had quit the previous week and also a receiver about 4 weeks ago,to concentrate on basketball..Wilkes is a special player.

Another question to ask would be, what IF Rice and Winn had played as many quarters as Wilkes? How much better would their numbers be? It's not really a fair analysis when you have one finalist who has played the whole season while the other 2 have played half a season if not less. I'm just making conversation. Not taking anything away from anyone at all!

How about this ,all 3 are great players.One thing to think about and I don't have a favorite. If WC and Dresdon can dominate most games with the stars on the bench. That tells me they just flat out have plenty of capable players around them.  Hats off to all 3 of the boys.

I dont think he should be penalized for playing on a bad team.He had a better team last year.He had about 400 more yards last year but that was counting 3 playoff games.If he had 3 more playoff games this year,and got his average of 230 yards a game,would finish with 3,000 yards.So this year was even better with him being on a terrible team.Plus played against 3 of the toughest teams in the State in Union City,Dresden and Trenton.Had about 200 yards against Union CityPlus played on defense,offense ,kickoffs,punts .Put him on a Dresden,Union City,Wayne Co and no telling what he could do..Dont know if the other players also play both ways or just on offense.Wonder what Rice's numbers would have been against Trenton,Union City or Dresden.A lot of players are thought to have a great season with a 1,000 yards or averaging a 100 yards a game.Wilkes averaged 230 yards a game playing against some not so good teams in which he could have had 500 yards,Fulton co, Greenfield.Had over 200 yards at the half.But also played against Dresden,Union City and Trenton.Two of them are the number 1 and 2 teams in the state .And all the while ,everyone knew he was Lake Co's only weapon and still had trouble.Plus not counting his receiving yardage and probably had 200 passing yardsLike Horse from Huntingdon said,Wilkes is the best back.But will he be penalized because of where he lives and the team he happened to play for this year.

I don't think you should penalize a player with great numbers for being on a bad team either but at the same time some of the others have only got to play 2 qtrs a a game. What type numbers would they have if they had played as many snaps as Wilkes?

I have no problem with any of the kids nominated winning the award. Granted it would be great if a Dresden kid wins but they are all very deserving of the award. Wilkes is as impressive as any RB that I know of from west TN. Hopefully he will be playing on Saturdays next year and could be at a good D1 school. My Bama buddy thinks he is better than the Washington kid from Jackson who plays for Bama. But what does he know cause they hired Kiffin. lol

If you'll go back and look at some of my posts you'll see that in some games Lake Co shut Wilkes down or didnt run him at all.That when they had the quarterback and other receiver.For instance,against Fulton Co and Greenfield.Had about 60 points at the half and he had over 200 yards.Coach could have let him get 500 yards had he wanted.Also in week 7 against Gleason.Lake Co winning by about 24 points going in the last quarter.Wilkes had around 250 yards.Quarterback Johnson,which was his last game had runs if about 50 and 60 yards.Thought Wilkes would have been getting the ball at that time,knowing he may be a Mr.Football candidate.But the coach didnt run him.A player gets close to 200 yards against Union City  he earned his yards.And he did.Union City hit him hard.Sometimes a yard or 2.Sometimes 4.Hit hard.Got back up and ran for 70 yards..Read the other posts about someone thinks he's better than a kid now playing at Bama.Wilkes is all LC had.Not saying the others dont deserve it as well .Winn is a great athlete.Could Rice have big numbers at Lake Co playing with the receivers we had?But as far as playing every down every game,that's not what happened.Coach isnt going to have 60 points against Greenfield at the half and Wilkes over 200 yards and try to score 90 points,Lake Co had a quarterback then that started running the ball and he put Ismail in the game running some.I can promise you that if Rice had played against Union City,Trenton and Dresden,his numbers would have been down.We're talking about backs having a great year with a thousand yards or averaging a hundred yards a game and here is a guy that averaged 230 yards a game and had to play defense as well.Did the others also start on defense or did they have enough players to have the luxury to sit them down.Or at least give them a break late in the games.

Edited by mrbigster

I have no problem with any of the kids nominated winning the award. Granted it would be great if a Dresden kid wins but they are all very deserving of the award. Wilkes is as impressive as any RB that I know of from west TN. Hopefully he will be playing on Saturdays next year and could be at a good D1 school. My Bama buddy thinks he is better than the Washington kid from Jackson who plays for Bama. But what does he know cause they hired Kiffin. lol

Im agree and sid the same thing about Winn.He's a great athlete on a very good team.Winn and Wilkes are the two I have seen and both are outstanding athletes.

Edited by mrbigster