Smyrna @ Science Hill : 2nd Round

THSVikings2004

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Smyrna and the footage available they are playing some great ball right now.  Perkins is a load and probably one of the  best 3 or 4 backs in the region.  I think he ranks  with Vic Johnson as far as strength and YAC. Okeke is not been mentioned and he will be a threat that I think will pose some problems defending. On the defensive side of the ball Austin Brown will need to step up big and have a dominant game. You can count on Turner being consistent along with Jordan Jones.  I think Science Hill will certainly try to grind it out on Smyrna's D but they can be very stingy and well disciplined. I am going to say with the home field advantage and the drive it will be a close one but Smyrna gets the win by 7 

Edited by Blaze45

SH offense has been pretty balanced of late. Our QB had a concussion against Maryville on the first drive of the game and a severe knee injury against Hardin Valley which limited him to throw only basically the rest of the regular season until the last game against DB. The last two games combined he has thrown for 550 yards and rushed for 250 yards. The running back has close to 300 yards rushing in those two games as well. So as I said pretty balanced as they would want to be in the playoffs where teams that are one dimensional have trouble.

The defense is key, the front seven are strong but at times our defensive backs have let people slip behind them because they have eyes in the backfield and not on their man. However they do come up and tackle well. It should be a good battle on both sides of the ball as I have seen plenty of studs playing both sides for Smyrna.

The good news is we traveled down to play Siegal and Brentwood Academy the last two years so we have an idea of what middle TN football is all about and we know it will take our best effort.

I will correct one thing, you only pay $5 to park if you park in the wrestling teams fundraiser parking lot. If you park behind the field house at Freedom Hall the parking is free and you enter through the gate in the end zone that does not have the scoreboard. The choice is yours.

Hopefully you guys will bring a crowd and we will do the same. Should be a good game.

Safe travels!

I am most worried about our defense. DB chewed us between the tackles. #4 got 209 in the DB game and we has to crowd the LOS. Luckily their QB was not accurate.

Against CC Taylor ran for 190+ and another 100 in the air on blown coverages. If Taylor doesn't drop that pass they have another 80 in the air. We gave up 300 to CC on the ground and 290 to DB. This is where it must happen.

I'm not worried about the offense. I'm glad JBedard is healthier. He ran over some folks Friday night as did Russell. Good to see him come alive.

From here out we face athletic offenses... We have to be prepared.

We have definitely gotten better. The game that brought it together was the loss to Oakland. Yes a loss. They were able to prove something to themselves. That they can play with top caliber competition and still be in the game until the end. The touchdown that was ruled not a touchdown and a couple of plays here and there. Oaklands offense only scored 14 points. Don't get me wrong Oakland was the better team that night. And out played us in the end. But my Bulldogs came out the other side a better team. This team is poised to take the next step. They are hungry and they believe. They have senior leadership and are buying to what is being taught. Last year they didn't know how to be aggressive and play under control. That's not an issue this year. How successful my Bulldogs are gonna be will depend on the O-line. Which is light years ahead of where they were in the spring. The most improved unit on the team. They will have to control the line of scrimmage to establish the run game. We run it for more yards than we pass. But don't count the pass out. Not only do we have a good rerun game but we also have some pretty dynamic receivers. I can't wait for this game. A true road trip during the playoffs. A true test to see what what this team is made of and how far they have come.

I am most worried about our defense. DB chewed us between the tackles. #4 got 209 in the DB game and we has to crowd the LOS. Luckily their QB was not accurate.

Against CC Taylor ran for 190+ and another 100 in the air on blown coverages. If Taylor doesn't drop that pass they have another 80 in the air. We gave up 300 to CC on the ground and 290 to DB. This is where it must happen.

I'm not worried about the offense. I'm glad JBedard is healthier. He ran over some folks Friday night as did Russell. Good to see him come alive.

From here out we face athletic offenses... We have to be prepared.

I agree. The defense needs to flex its size upfront and force them to be second/third and long. I think the battle of turnovers most likely will be the difference maker. We need to cover better and force some turnovers out of our defense.

Offense is as good as it has been all year. 5 different receivers caught passes last week and all of them have break away speed. We need to control the ball and the O-line will need to have their best game of the year.

15 senior starters in this group. Almost all have played since Freshman/Sophomore year. They know it is do or die and having only two home losses in 4 years is something they are proud of and want to preserve. Big battle Friday night but this group is battle tested.

Hope we can get the stands filled with Toppers!