Alcoa vs 6A. 2nd best team in the state?

32hammer

This thread is all about thinking the teams you see are better than the teams you don't see . IFL at it's best . I don't play the IFL , so I will not Claim any Victories for anybody, and I will just stick to the Facts  ... BUT ... Alcoa this year has by far the best Defense we've seen .... so far . Now I think .... notice I said think , because I haven't actually seen these teams in person , I think the remaining teams left in 6A may be as good or even better than Alcoa's Defense . 

In 2009 , first year of 6A , I thought Maryville's team had no shot of going very far that year , everybody familiar with Maryville thought it was gonna be a rebuilding year that year .... especially after Alcoa gave us a Thumping I'll never forget . We were totally dominated that year by Alcoa ... if I remember correctly Alcoa either didn't throw any passes at all , or maybe it was just one pass ... they didn't need to . Well we went on to make it to the State Championship and got beat by White Station , they had a great RB , and a great , Mobile QB .... I'm not saying Alcoa would of beat them ... but we were not dominated in that game near as much as we were against Alcoa . White Station couldn't of beat us ( I think ... once again , not claiming a victory .. just my thoughts ) with just Running the ball only . 

2010 ... we lost one game that year on our way to the 6A State Championship game ... ya to Alcoa in one of the best games ever between Maryville and Alcoa . Now I don't think Alcoa is near as good as they were in those 2 years , but their Defense may be ... and a Great Defense can keep you in any Game . My opinion only .... Alcoa could give any Team in this State a tough game and anybody under estimating them because they're in 3A would probably get their Butt Kicked . 

I'm not underestimating them at all. That's why I put them in my Top 20 in the entire state regardless of classification. I guess my saying that is slighting Alcoa to some. I quite frankly think it's a very high honor. Any team in my Top 20 would give every other team in my Top 20 a game, and even beat them on occassion.

I just don't have them Top 10.

Of course ... all of these teams have good to great defenses in my opinion.

I can see why folk feel this way though. I thought very highly of the 96' Melrose team that won the state championship that year.

Edited by kwc

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason this IFL topic exists is because Alcoa gave Maryville its toughest game. It's a rivalry game and they see each other every year, that changes things. If the IFL scheduled Alcoa against the top 5 6a and 5a teams they'd barely finish above .500

Since about 2000 Maryville has been the considered the best team in the state. During that 15 year period they have lost, I believe , around only 15 total games. They play in the largest division in the state. Yet, how many schools have beaten Maryville more than once during that time span?

Alcoa has beaten them at least four times during the 15 years the Rebels have dominated they rest of the state.

Objectively, you can make a solid argument that Alcoa is the 2nd best program in the state over those 15 years behind Maryville. Other schools make not like it but they can't produce reasonable evidence ( number of state titles and number of victories over the top program) to back up their arguments.

I would be interested in hearing a better argument or more compelling evidence that another school is the 2nd best program in the state.

I'm not underestimating them at all. That's why I put them in my Top 20 in the entire state regardless of classification. I guess my saying that is slighting Alcoa to some. I quite frankly think it's a very high honor. Any team in my Top 20 would give every other team in my Top 20 a game, and even beat them on occassion.

I just don't have them Top 10.

Of course ... all of these teams have good to great defenses in my opinion.

I can see why folk feel this way though. I thought very highly of the 96' Melrose team that won the state championship that year.

My post was not just directed to you KWC , I probably shouldn't of quoted you , sorry about that . My post was directed to the whole board ... I know you're one of the most Reasonable and Honorable Posters on here . 

My post was not just directed to you KWC , I probably shouldn't of quoted you , sorry about that . My post was directed to the whole board ... I know you're one of the most Reasonable and Honorable Posters on here . 

LOL ... its the IFL that is being discussed. It's quite alright to quote me. Besides, if I make a comment on a subject, I should very well be able to explain my line of thinking. Besides, you guys are right, I haven't laid eyes on Alcoa. They could very well be all that and a bag of chips. But it is fun to talk about. If they wouldn't have played Maryville as competitive as they did ... there wouldn't have been a reason for 9 pages of discussion ... now would there?

Since about 2000 Maryville has been the considered the best team in the state. During that 15 year period they have lost, I believe , around only 15 total games. They play in the largest division in the state. Yet, how many schools have beaten Maryville more than once during that time span?

Alcoa has beaten them at least four times during the 15 years the Rebels have dominated they rest of the state.

Objectively, you can make a solid argument that Alcoa is the 2nd best program in the state over those 15 years behind Maryville. Other schools make not like it but they can't produce reasonable evidence ( number of state titles and number of victories over the top program) to back up their arguments.

I would be interested in hearing a better argument or more compelling evidence that another school is the 2nd best program in the state.

Consistently year in and year out I get your argument especially if you omit the privates.

But all the top programs don't get to play Maryville every year.

Edited by Spartan4Life

Consistently year in and year out I get your argument especially if you omit the privates.

But all the top programs don't get to play Maryville every year.

That's true, But what are the top schools records when they do play Maryville during the last 15 years?

If you're the second best team in the state in 6A then you should play Maryville almost every year in the playoffs. Private school state champs have played Maryville during the season more than once during the time frame and not done very well. If you're the 2nd best team in a different classification then your state championship totals should be around 6 during this time frame. Fulton is close but I believe they've split with Alcoa head to head and lost to Maryville.  Evidence shows that year in year out , as you said, Alcoa has been the 2nd best team in the state

That's true, But what are the top schools records when they do play Maryville during the last 15 years?

If you're the second best team in the state in 6A then you should play Maryville almost every year in the playoffs. Private school state champs have played Maryville during the season more than once during the time frame and not done very well. If you're the 2nd best team in a different classification then your state championship totals should be around 6 during this time frame. Fulton is close but I believe they've split with Alcoa head to head and lost to Maryville. Evidence shows that year in year out , as you said, Alcoa has been the 2nd best team in the state

I follow you somewhat. However even you can admit the competition alcoa plays is a lot less than a 6a school week in and week out. Meaning it would be harder for a 6a school to get to the state championship constantly to play Maryville.

I'm curious as to what if any private state champions have played Maryville outside of Webb (who is in the smaller private school league) I was talking the larger division which year in and year out keeps 3-5 teams in the top 10 in the state all classifications.

That's true, But what are the top schools records when they do play Maryville during the last 15 years?

If you're the second best team in the state in 6A then you should play Maryville almost every year in the playoffs. Private school state champs have played Maryville during the season more than once during the time frame and not done very well. If you're the 2nd best team in a different classification then your state championship totals should be around 6 during this time frame. Fulton is close but I believe they've split with Alcoa head to head and lost to Maryville. Evidence shows that year in year out , as you said, Alcoa has been the 2nd best team in the state

I see where you're coming from but it's just a different animal in the west IMO, there are no real dominant teams like it is in the East. Week in and week out the dominant teams in the west can be beaten during the regular season. In the east, it almost guaranteed that the top teams will win out except when Alcoa plays Maryville and maybe a Fulton everything else are usually blowouts. WH is 1-1 and WS is 1-0 vs Maryville. The way the West is set up. A WH, WS, RW, Smyrna, HV can be there any given year and give Maryville the game of their lives. So my point is that the second best team in the state (or best team from the west) can't play Maryville every year cause it changes just about every year. Edited by Havengrad04

Earlier ,before the privates were put into their own classification, BA played Maryville twice for the state championship. BA coach thought Maryville had only a fair team . Maryville waxed BA 25-0. BA lost the other championship game to the Rebs also. Whether that would happen nowadays, who can say, but I wouldn;t  bet against the Rebs no matter what the classification.

I think it was said earlier, but teams who play each other every year is different than team who see each other once every couple of years. You honestly think that if Maryville plays Blackman or Oakland or Ravenwood every year for the past ten years, that they would not have some losses to those teams? 

It makes a difference when you are familiar with a team. 

I also know for a fact that Hoover (Al) has tried to schedule Maryville a few time over the last 6-7 years, but for whatever reason it didn't work. That is a game I would like to see. 

Maryville has been so dominant locally, I wonder why the won't play the big teams from Ga, Al, and Fl, like those other states do. Would be a great gate and probably on ESPN.

Edited by jokrswylde

Don't jump me. FYI only. From Sonny Moore after 2nd Round. The only TN Computer Rankings I know of. (I know Fulton will stand out) Updated yesterday....

TEAM SOS PR

1 BRENTWOOD ACADEMY 104.91 157.36

2 MARYVILLE 122.65 152.14

3 OAKLAND 113.55 148.83

4 MONTGOMERY BELL 121.11 147.75

5 INDEPENDENCE 115.35 146.79

6 BLACKMAN 112.1 142.31

7 FULTON 113.87 139.3

8 MORRISTOWN WEST 117.8 139.1

9 RAVENWOOD 112.99 138.58

10 RHEA COUNTY 115.38 138.19

11 BAYLOR 120.67 138.17

12 ALCOA 111.1 137.07

13 OAK RIDGE 118.22 136.44

14 CENTENNIAL 119.34 136.02

15 HILLSBORO 119.11 135.87

16 CHRISTIAN BROTHERS 100.1 135.78

17 McCALLIE 121.53 135.77

18 WHITEHAVEN 112.11 134.92

19 MEMPHIS EAST 105.52 134.67

20 OOLTEWAH 119.2 134.58

(Point difference is last number +2 for Home)

There is another. You need to check out the LazIndex every week!

Earlier ,before the privates were put into their own classification, BA played Maryville twice for the state championship. BA coach thought Maryville had only a fair team . Maryville waxed BA 25-0. BA lost the other championship game to the Rebs also. Whether that would happen nowadays, who can say, but I wouldn;t bet against the Rebs no matter what the classification.

I mean let's be honest how many years ago was that? That's not very fair and Id say the privates have gotten a lot better since then since they can fully "recruit" now.