private vs public in football final

Indian

population Per Square mile

Knoxville- 1,850....Not Rural

Trenton- 857.....Not Rural

Hampton- 72.....Rural

Urban and Rural is judged by People per Square mile not overall population.

The US Census classifies rural as any area having less than 1000 people per square mile therefore Trenton is rural.

Maryville is an open zone school but tuition there is very expensive also($2,300,00) a year. We have a roster of 96 kids and five are from open zone and only one of them start. I listen to all kinds of BS and lies told by people that think they know or heard it from some D.A. that likes spreading crap to see how many people will listen to them. $2,300.00 is a lot of money to send a kid to a public school to play football, don't you think. That fee is so high because the school is busting at the seems and they can't handle the extra students from outside the city. I respect anyone's opinion that doesn't like the open zone rule but it has been that way forever in Blount County. 95% of the kids on that team started out together and yes there may be a transfer come in every year or two but that is to be expected with any school that has 1,500 students. One of the last transfers that has came to Maryville in the past few years now starts at #1 Clemson at center. His family transferred here from North Carolina his junior year job related and was being looked at by major colleges in N.C. and Clemson's offensive line coach (Dan Brooks) told the family Maryville would be his best bet if he really wanted to play at another level after high school. Dan Brooks own son played at Maryville when he was coaching under Fulmer at UT.  I hate watching people get out and say stupid stuff just to run their mouth. I love high school football (All teams) and I know there are plenty of people that don't like Maryville for one reason or another but I will all ways be honest and tell you the truth. There are Maryville people that don't care for me because I don't hide anything good or bad. All I can tell you is why it's working there and why it's not at other places from my personal observation.

Maryville is in the highest group, you can't put them in 7A. When the schools have 1500-2000 students, they should have enough potential in the halls to compete with open zone, Division II powers, whoever.

Not a big school issue but the big school's don't want to lose kids to the privates. If all the privates go d2 everyone near the bigger cities could have problems. Now that would be a hoot.

One thing about Maryville is that they didn't qualify to be in 6A but 5A and ask to move up if another school would agree to move down which they did. Also the freshmen don't go to the high school but the junior high school which is 3/4 of a mile away. The enrollment at Maryville include those freshmen though or there would only be 1,050 that actually go to the high school. Freshmen that are on the varsity come on at the end of the year which is now but that number is usually four or five but rarely do they see any action. GQ just wants them to get a taste of what is in store for them for the future.

And if a person isn't from a rural area, they will never understand this comment

And the good programs still do fairly well on most years but it takes a special bunch to compete at the top.Hampton has actually been to the semi's 4 times in the last 10 years,that's pretty darn good for a true small rural school.  Wayne Co is quite amazing also .speaks volumes for the Coach and the entire football program.

And the good programs still do fairly well on most years but it takes a special bunch to compete at the top.Hampton has actually been to the semi's 4 times in the last 10 years,that's pretty darn good for a true small rural school.  Wayne Co is quite amazing also .speaks volumes for the Coach and the entire football program.

Yep....Every 7-10 years these small schools have "one of those" type teams...05,06,07 was one of those teams.

I've decided, since you and I have time on our hands, to follow suit and begin "persuading".

Think of the team we would have fielded if only a couple from Cloudland had played here....We start getting one from here and one from there (only 15 minutes away either direction) we won't have to wait years to field this type of 2A team again!

I may even start the process to gain the funds to install our own plastic-grass field since ours is so inferior to others...And auto-flush urinals and toilets too! We'll buy a white suit and hire the EXPERT to pass out hand-towels in our air conditioned rest rooms!

Naaa, all that sounds as if it'd take away from the FB experience to me

Yep....Every 7-10 years these small schools have "one of those" type teams...05,06,07 was one of those teams.

I've decided, since you and I have time on our hands, to follow suit and begin "persuading".

Think of the team we would have fielded if only a couple from Cloudland had played here....We start getting one from here and one from there (only 15 minutes away either direction) we won't have to wait years to field this type of 2A team again!

I may even start the process to gain the funds to install our own plastic-grass field since ours is so inferior to others...And auto-flush urinals and toilets too! We'll buy a white suit and hire the EXPERT to pass out hand-towels in our air conditioned rest rooms!

Naaa, all that sounds as if it'd take away from the FB experience to me

Although this year didn't end on the best note, I couldn't be happier. Our kids were mentored with people who not only taught football but how to attack life. How our young one's have the same kind of leadership.

And you guys won in 2011, so there are rural programs that are competitive across the state. I definitely think it should be tweaked, but it's not as drastic as people make it out to be. We also are way to restrictive based by enrollment. We need to be more flex on enrollment, increase the multiplier very slightly, take travel into the equation and even out the regions and the classifications. It is neat to think about.

If, and only if, they were to split and also end the open zones then a multiplier could be made for public schools taking into account total population in each school's district. That would even it out for those that say the talent pools are different based off of the school's drawing pool. It can all be done if the right people are in place for the state.

Why increase the multiplier? It's the highest in the nation now. It is completely useless because of the raw vs multiplier rule. If folks want the multiplier to actually do something then wherever the multiplied enrollment puts you then play there. As it stands now if your enrollment is near the upper limit of a classification the multiplier will probably put you 2 classes higher in enrollment but the TSSAA has a rule stating your multiplied enrollment can only put you 1 class above your raw numbers. There are a bunch of 2A private schools that have multiplied enrollment for 3A but raw numbers are 1A. The huge multiplier means nothing. Essentially the multiplier rule in Tennessee is if you're a private school is you can stay in the same classification or maybe move up a classification. Look at NCS for example, they're still 1A, I'm sure there are plenty but they're easy to know what classification they're in right now.