When Will Schools Realize Its A Program That Breeds Sucess, Not Talent

TNBROADCASTER

The only problem with your statement is in todays world the parents only care while their kid is in school. After they graduated the program is not on their minds anymore. That's where is has to become a school, community program that builds from the middle school program on up. A lot of the parents you see talking down programs where a part of that same program when it was successful and they have a hard time standing by and walking it crumble. IE, the Riverdale's of the world and other programs around the state. It takes years to build a program and a single win doesn't  make one. We'll see that next year when surely Maryville will be right back on top. All you have to do is look at the top Alabama schools to see what a program can do and despite the doubters they are mainly public schools. A great program breeds success year after year and creates the desire for community, parental and student development to reach the same goal year after year....

You are right. Most parents are a done as soon as my kid is out mentality is the general sentiment with most programs . The primary thing that I see that makes Maryville unique is that many of their supporters and boosters are  people who's children have long since graduated. I am hopeful to see us create some enthusiasm at Blackman in and around our program from the middle school up. I also think that it is important that you keep alumni as involved as possible. If you don't, this type of building results in a constant 4 year wash out cycle and nothing is ever accomplished.  The other thing that makes this possible to do is great coaches who welcome the support. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right. Most parents are a done as soon as my kid is out mentality is the general sentiment with most programs . The primary thing that I see that makes Maryville unique is that many of their supporters and boosters are  people who's children have long since graduated. I am hopeful to see us create some enthusiasm at Blackman in and around our program from the middle school up. I also think that it is important that you keep alumni as involved as possible. If you don't, this type of building results in a constant 4 year wash out cycle and nothing is ever accomplished.  The other thing that makes this possible to do is great coaches who welcome the support. 

Maryville has the hard core fans like Me,Stars and these other Maryville coachT posters. The ultimate Maryville fan is a woman named Della Mae Nuchols. Her health isn't good now so she stays at home and listens to the games. For years she never missed a game. I see a lot of the same people at Maryville games every Friday. Ones who live in another state keep up by internet.

Maryville has the hard core fans like Me,Stars and these other Maryville coachT posters. The ultimate Maryville fan is a woman named Della Mae Nuchols. Her health isn't good now so she stays at home and listens to the games. For years she never missed a game. I see a lot of the same people at Maryville games every Friday. Ones who live in another state keep up by internet.

A strong fan base is important but its only a small part of what builds a program. Lets face it , many "fans" sit by and enjoy the success of their schools program without ever opening their wallet and check book other than to by tickets and a hot dog. It takes the community business support and the donations of thousands of dollars to support the program that makes a difference. Contrary to the belief of many, it takes a lot more than concession sales and a few car washes to support a program.

Maryville has the hard core fans like Me,Stars and these other Maryville coachT posters. The ultimate Maryville fan is a woman named Della Mae Nuchols. Her health isn't good now so she stays at home and listens to the games. For years she never missed a game. I see a lot of the same people at Maryville games every Friday. Ones who live in another state keep up by internet.

is Della a huge UT fan?

Disagree.  You've got to have players, especially in smaller classes.  Great example is Polk County.  7-8 year span they dominated with talented players and great coaches. Same coaches, lack of talent...and haven't won a game in two years.  You could drop Billicheck off in some places and they'd never win.

What you need to understand no matter what class your in is that "talented players" just don't pop up in the 11th grade. A true program develops players from community ball on up into middle school and then on the high school. Every school has a good year or two as a result of a specific talented player but the key to a successful program builds year after year and just reloads. The one thing your missing is a truth that many don't want anyone to realize or accept and that is if you have this type of successful program year after year parent will want to move into your schools area so their kid can play there. Programs take years to build and maintain. A single year or two with a talented player doesn't make a program.

TNBC this iz tha troof rite hear.....Donkee baskitbawl, cow drops and bake sails ere also vurry emportunt..... :popcorneater:

We all know about the many donkeys at Maryville...lol...No, seriously annual reports given to TSSAA on donations from successful programs all seem to have a common thread. 3 to 4 main donors who open their check books every year to support. These amounts exceed any amount you could come up with by having any fundraiser events...

That is apart of why that program is so successful..