Does your basketball coach allow players to play football?

Expectus

I heard that the Bearden coach will not let his players play football. Can anyone verify?

The Football and Baseball coach allow players to play multi-sports. It is my understanding that the basketball coach allows JV and freshman to play Football but tells them as long as the play football they will not play varsity basketball.

Being involved in high school football for a long time I can honestly say I have only saw one situation where the basketball coach worked to convince kids not to play football. I can't ever really remember a situation where a football coach tried to stop his players from playing basketball many of the ones I knew were multisport athletes growing up themselves. I believe the kids should be allowed to enjoy their high school experience and play all sports they are capable of playing because most will not play beyond high school. I have told many an athlete my biggest regret from high school was not playing basketball my senior year after playing the previous years because I knew I was going to college to play football. I missed being with the guys, bus rides, games etc. My honest opinion is the real reason we see less multi-sport athletes is not necessarily the school coaches but you aaau, summer league stuff. That help convince kids they have better chance to get a college scholarship by focusing on one sport and doing all this travel stuff to get seen.

I agree with wardawg. I am a firm believer that playing multiple sports is a good thing and should be encouraged. As an outsider, it appears to me that the AAU, select leagues, or whatever you call them, do more to discourage multiple sports than the high school coaches. Although they are sometimes one in the same if I'm not mistaken. Helicopter parents also seem to be pushing their kids toward one sport, year round, at an early age.

I think this is a big problem with high school athletics these days, but I don't see it changing anytime soon. There really should be a concerted effort on the part of the T$$AA, high school principals, AD's, and coaches to promote and encourage kids playing multiple sports. With all of the lottery scholarships and Tennessee's new free two-year community college programs, the need for athletic scholarships should decrease.

The Football and Baseball coach allow players to play multi-sports. It is my understanding that the basketball coach allows JV and freshman to play Football but tells them as long as the play football they will not play varsity basketball.

sad for the kids & even sadder that this Bearden coach thinks he is coaching in the NBA... Edited by FootballFan51

sad for the kids & even sadder that this Bearden coach thinks he is coaching in the NBA...

I wish I was his AD

How can the AD and administration let this guy get away with that. I went to the Farragut/Bearden basketball game last night and our football players played very well. I can't imagine a high school coach being able to dictate what sport the kids play. Does he also dictate what classes they take, or are the kids allowed to pick the classes they want. I 've heard A LOT of terrible things about this coach. Can't imagine having a kid at Bearden and him not being able to play the sports he wants. Can someone answer this? How in the world does he get away with this? This may be better a thread all by itself.

Just found out on the another thread that the Bearden coach does not let kids play basketball if they play football. First of all, Is this true? How does he do it? I'm sure he doesn't come out and say those words. Can anyone explain this? Why does the principle and/or AD let this happen. This man should not be telling anyone what sport they can and cannot play.  THOUGHTS??

Just found out on the another thread that the Bearden coach does not let kids play basketball if they play football. First of all, Is this true? How does he do it? I'm sure he doesn't come out and say those words. Can anyone explain this? Why does the principle and/or AD let this happen. This man should not be telling anyone what sport they can and cannot play.  THOUGHTS??

just curious, did you start the other thread expecting bearden to be mentioned so you could complain about the coach? I think what was actually said was they can't play varsity... Only JV. In any event, no a coach should not limit his players. However, for the sake of discussion, let's say it's a large school with plenty of players. Coach knows he needs everyone clicking on same page to be in the mix. I can see how players missing a few weeks and then jumping in would impact team chemistry and play. Or how losing a kid to a football injury you were counting on could really throw a wrench in things. Coach might see it as best to not have to worry about football players, chemistry, injuries, etc.

Actually I was so shocked to hear that a coach in my own county would do this to students, that I had to make it a separate post. I wanted to get others thoughts on it and figure out how this stuff goes on at such a "well respected" high school such as Bearden.

It's a "large school with plenty of players"? No son, you can't take Chemistry. This is such a large school and we have so many other science courses available. You have to pick one of them. If you do , however, take my class I will have to flunk you...

poor argument if you ask me.

They tried it in Campbell county. It set both programs back five years. You have enough athletes at Bearden to do it, Campbell county doesn't.

As for Blevins? As far as I'm concerned, he can do what he wants. He's earned it. He's the winningest AAA coach in the state. If he can win 28 games without football kids like he did last year? Who's gonna fire him?

Edited by CarolinaCrazy