Bradley Invitational teams

Da Bears

Unless DaChampsAgain (and/or his unnamed "father" acquaintance) was flat-out lying, then Baylor was in clear violation of the rules.  If so, they need to report this to TSSAA.  More likely, this is just BS born of jealousy.  Baylor and all of the other D2 schools are about far more than athletics.  They are, among other things, about helping kids evolve into productive members of society and are also about furthering that goal by helping kids get accepted into schools like Harvard, Princeton, etc.  If you think that Baylor is going to risk the reputation that it has painstakingly built up over decades in order to land this "hot golfer", then I suggest that you are kidding yourself.  Better yet, take a look at the list of those schools that the TSSAA has caught cheating in recent years; they are almost all Division 1 schools.

^ Truth.

All of this rhetoric only serves to tear down our sport. Parents, coaches and wrestlers talking about what division is better than the other! Who cares? Thankfully programs attend tournaments that cross division lines and the best wrestler that day, or over a course of days, is identified. Don't recall hearing Cody Brewer complain that Penn State, Ohio State or Iowa have better coaches, wrestling partners or more money in their wrestling programs. And to go one further, Zeke Mosiey didn't either. A champ and a runner-up not from perennial powerhouse programs. 

What's really bad is all this whining is teaching kids how to make excuses... How pathetic!

All of this rhetoric only serves to tear down our sport. Parents, coaches and wrestlers talking about what division is better than the other! Who cares? Thankfully programs attend tournaments that cross division lines and the best wrestler that day, or over a course of days, is identified. Don't recall hearing Cody Brewer complain that Penn State, Ohio State or Iowa have better coaches, wrestling partners or more money in their wrestling programs. And to go one further, Zeke Mosiey didn't either. A champ and a runner-up not from perennial powerhouse programs. 

What's really bad is all this whining is teaching kids how to make excuses... How pathetic!

Very true statement about all the whining and making excuses is pathetic.  The question that I have is what does having D1 & D2 in individual sports teach the high school athletes in Tennessee.  All individual sports should only have one state champion.  I don't recall Shazon Bradley being scared to wrestle anyone from a public or private school!  This has everything to do with the egos of adults.

• Upvote 1

There is a definitive answer to your question - we would all benefit if people bothered to look up the rules before posting about something they know nothing about.  The following is directly from the TSSAA rulebook. In your scenario (the "full ride"), if the payor is other than a parent, bona fide guardian or family member, the school has cheated and is subject to disciplinary action.  Unless DaChampsAgain (and/or his unnamed "father" acquaintance) was flat-out lying, then Baylor was in clear violation of the rules.  If so, they need to report this to TSSAA.  More likely, this is just BS born of jealousy.  Baylor and all of the other D2 schools are about far more than athletics.  They are, among other things, about helping kids evolve into productive members of society and are also about furthering that goal by helping kids get accepted into schools like Harvard, Princeton, etc.  If you think that Baylor is going to risk the reputation that it has painstakingly built up over decades in order to land this "hot golfer", then I suggest that you are kidding yourself.  Better yet, take a look at the list of those schools that the TSSAA has caught cheating in recent years; they are almost all Division 1 schools.

Tuition and Financial Aid

Section 16. If tuition is charged, it must be paid by parent, bona fide guardian or other family member. If a parent, guardian or other family member secures a loan for payment of tuition, it must remain an

obligation of the parents, guardian or other family member to repay the principle and interest in full with no exceptions. Any loan program, grant program, educational foundation or similar program that is

established and/or administered, in whole or in part, by a school or official of a school is considered financial aid. Financial aid will be allowed under the following conditions:

1. Children of full-time faculty members may be given financial aid, but such students, if transfers, shall be ineligible for 12 months in any sport in which they have an athletic record for the previous

or current year.

2. Financial aid may be awarded on the basis of need, but proof of such need must be filed in the TSSAA office on forms approved by the Executive Director. In order to determine the basis for need, all schools awarding financial aid shall use one of the following services in order to determine the basis for need: FACTS Grant and Aid Assessment (FACTS), Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST), School and Student Scholastic Service for Financial Aid (SSS), Family Financial Needs Assessment (FFNA), Private School Aid Services, or Smart Tuition Aid. Schools must choose one of the companies for all student-athletes. A committee consisting of School Heads from Division II schools and one ex-officio, non-voting member from the Board of Control and Legislative Council will meet and make recommendations to the Board of Control on each student submitted. In addition, this committee will collect information from schools regarding financial aid statistics, grant procedures, and the overall financial aid program within the school. The Board of Control will then rule on all cases at the August meeting. The Board of Control shall have authority to reject the basis of need for students when in its opinion, or in the opinion of the school committee, the amount of need stated by the financial service cannot be justified. Schools shall remove any student from athletic eligibility whose accounts with the school are 60 days overdue. All records pertaining to financial aid or tuition assistance shall be open to TSSAA upon its request. Each school shall be responsible for securing necessary authorization to allow TSSAA to review or audit such

records.

Thank you Red Robin, I understand what is considered cheating and what is not.  A few years ago I vetted my knowledge to a well know Baylor friend of mine to share the exact name and student athlete in question.  Was it a one time transgression?  I do not know.  There is zero jealously regarding my comments, I do not care.  I am okay with any manner in which a student gets to a private or public program.  Students should not be owned by the schools, they should always be able to choose where they want to attend, at any time during their education and for any reason they want.  That is just an opinion, not held by hardly any that I know of.

There is a definitive answer to your question - we would all benefit if people bothered to look up the rules before posting about something they know nothing about. The following is directly from the TSSAA rulebook. In your scenario (the "full ride"), if the payor is other than a parent, bona fide guardian or family member, the school has cheated and is subject to disciplinary action. Unless DaChampsAgain (and/or his unnamed "father" acquaintance) was flat-out lying, then Baylor was in clear violation of the rules. If so, they need to report this to TSSAA. More likely, this is just BS born of jealousy. Baylor and all of the other D2 schools are about far more than athletics. They are, among other things, about helping kids evolve into productive members of society and are also about furthering that goal by helping kids get accepted into schools like Harvard, Princeton, etc. If you think that Baylor is going to risk the reputation that it has painstakingly built up over decades in order to land this "hot golfer", then I suggest that you are kidding yourself. Better yet, take a look at the list of those schools that the TSSAA has caught cheating in recent years; they are almost all Division 1 schools.

Tuition and Financial Aid

Section 16. If tuition is charged, it must be paid by parent, bona fide guardian or other family member. If a parent, guardian or other family member secures a loan for payment of tuition, it must remain an

obligation of the parents, guardian or other family member to repay the principle and interest in full with no exceptions. Any loan program, grant program, educational foundation or similar program that is

established and/or administered, in whole or in part, by a school or official of a school is considered financial aid. Financial aid will be allowed under the following conditions:

1. Children of full-time faculty members may be given financial aid, but such students, if transfers, shall be ineligible for 12 months in any sport in which they have an athletic record for the previous

or current year.

2. Financial aid may be awarded on the basis of need, but proof of such need must be filed in the TSSAA office on forms approved by the Executive Director. In order to determine the basis for need, all schools awarding financial aid shall use one of the following services in order to determine the basis for need: FACTS Grant and Aid Assessment (FACTS), Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST), School and Student Scholastic Service for Financial Aid (SSS), Family Financial Needs Assessment (FFNA), Private School Aid Services, or Smart Tuition Aid. Schools must choose one of the companies for all student-athletes. A committee consisting of School Heads from Division II schools and one ex-officio, non-voting member from the Board of Control and Legislative Council will meet and make recommendations to the Board of Control on each student submitted. In addition, this committee will collect information from schools regarding financial aid statistics, grant procedures, and the overall financial aid program within the school. The Board of Control will then rule on all cases at the August meeting. The Board of Control shall have authority to reject the basis of need for students when in its opinion, or in the opinion of the school committee, the amount of need stated by the financial service cannot be justified. Schools shall remove any student from athletic eligibility whose accounts with the school are 60 days overdue. All records pertaining to financial aid or tuition assistance shall be open to TSSAA upon its request. Each school shall be responsible for securing necessary authorization to allow TSSAA to review or audit such

records.

I'm all honestly, the father did tell me this. Rather he was lying to me or not, I couldn't tell ya. I could care less if he was lying or not. Nothing to me. All I'm saying and a few others that div 2 is only better cause they can recruit the best athletes. Of a kid gets a full ride or scholly than so be it. Who cares. We just don't like when div 2 parents/fans say that they're better than div 1 all together. With or without recruiting.

Far from jealousy also lol. Bradley, Cleveland and whoever else in public schools has the same education as privates and athletes. Nothing to be jealous about in privates at all.

Edited by DaChampsAgain

I'm all honestly, the father did tell me this. Rather he was lying to me or not, I couldn't tell ya. I could care less if he was lying or not. Nothing to me. All I'm saying and a few others that div 2 is only better cause they can recruit the best athletes. Of a kid gets a full ride or scholly than so be it. Who cares. We just don't like when div 2 parents/fans say that they're better than div 1 all together. With or without recruiting.

Far from jealousy also lol. Bradley, Cleveland and whoever else in public schools has the same education as privates and athletes. Nothing to be jealous about in privates at all.

Lol same education, that's a joke. Public does not compare to a private schools education. And please tell me why numerous of Cleveland wrestlers have been in GA the past years and somehow they're in TN this year? How did they hear about Cleveland?

Doesn't Bradley have open enrollment? Open enrollment + free education is just about as big an advantage as a school can have.

Doesn't Bradley have open enrollment? Open enrollment + free education is just about as big an advantage as a school can have.

Open enrollment and free education? Ha! No! My daughter is a very good bball player. Which lives just 2 min from Bradley. We tried to get her in there. Where we both graduated and wanted her to go. They denied us 3 times. She is now at Walker Valley. Rather you all think so or not, it takes a act of congress to get your kid in at Bradley. Especially if you're not zoned for it. That is the truth!

Lol same education, that's a joke. Public does not compare to a private schools education. And please tell me why numerous of Cleveland wrestlers have been in GA the past years and somehow they're in TN this year? How did they hear about Cleveland?

Could not tell you about the kids at Cleveland except they're good. How did they hear about Cleveland? Probably how everyone heard bout Bradley? Maybe to 2 best storied wrestling programs in the state of Tennessee ever?

Could not tell you about the kids at Cleveland except they're good. How did they hear about Cleveland? Probably how everyone heard bout Bradley? Maybe to 2 best storied wrestling programs in the state of Tennessee ever?

Based on your prior statements, I'm shocked that Baylor and McCallie didn't get into a bidding war for the Georgia free-agents, offering these kids free education, jobs for their families, new cars, cash, etc.

Based on your prior statements, I'm shocked that Baylor and McCallie didn't get into a bidding war for the Georgia free-agents, offering these kids free education, jobs for their families, new cars, cash, etc.

This actually sounds like a pretty good deal, but to be honest the education is not free, if you are paying your taxes you are paying for this.  New cars and cash is very, very nice.