Best wrestler per class

smpanthers

Wrestler "A" wins a Division 1 state title in Tennessee. He then goes to a Division 2 college and wins a national championship at that division 2 college. Do we tell him his national title is not worthy because it was accomplished at a division 2 school?

Being a NCAA D2 national champion, while still being a great achievement, does not carry the same merit that being a D1 national champion carries. The example I choose here is Joey Davis from Notre Dame College. Amazing wrestler, kid has a gift. But people have been saying for the last couple years he needs to move up to D1 and see if he can win a national title there. He wrestles the defending 165 national champion at 185 pounds, a huge size advantage, gets teched. No way he moves up now. He'll finish his college career undefeated and a 4x NCAA D2 champion, but the fact that he didn't go D1 will be the asterisk next to his name when he's talked about in the future. Not saying that's right, its just the way it is.

Back in the day the d2 and d3 national Champions qualified for d1 Nationals. The only two that Im familiar with that placed was Carlton Haslerig from Pitt Johnstown that won it (I think) at Heavyweight and Tim Wright from SIUE (.4 time d2 champ) that placed 3rd. I'm sure there are probably more but the competition is worlds apart. UTC 126lb conference Champ (Scott Corcoran) beat the D2 National Champ first round of Nationals in 1988 and had a 700 winning percentage at best

• Upvote 1

Gray Simons (Lock Haven) was a 4X NAIA National Champion & 3X NCAA D1 National Champion.  At the time the NCAA would not allow freshmen to compete at the varsity level or Gray would have been the favorite to win the D1 title 4X.

John Azevedo, Dan Cuestas & Joe Gonzalez (Cal State Bakersfield) were from D2 schools and won the NCAA D1 Championship.

Edited by cbg

tops in the state would have to be a little kid in his Jr year at Riverdale eyeing world comp and close contender in utc bound Evans, then Ryan Parker and I would say Russo, eventhough Jr Sells took him into OT the other day.

I don't know about that Sommers, Sammy beats Nick 7 out of 10 times. Also, not knocking on Boykin but his accomplishment was in Cadet where Sammy was not comping last year (even if they're in the same grade).