CRB leaving CAK

QSouth89

All of those coaches have children who attend CAK, so that was probably part of the draw in luring them to CAK. I suspect a football coach who is young enough to have school-age children might see that as a draw as well.

As far as specific dollar amounts, I do not have any personal knowledge of any amount that might have been offered to a candidate. However, it's my understanding from being fairly involved in the football program for many years now that Rusty was making considerably more than $55K, and I can't imagine why the AD etc. would think they could find a quality replacement for Rusty for materially less than he was getting paid. I believe Rusty's dad was also making quite a bit more than that amount (although he might have taught two classes to Rusty's one), so with his departure to Jackson it shouldn't be difficult to find the $ to make an attractive offer to a new coach. In other words, I don't know who your source is for the $55K number, but I'd be shocked if it's accurate. Tuition keeps going up so the school is certainly spending money on something!

My source was contacted about the job and that was the salary quoted to him.

First, I'm not saying that Maryville is out recruiting. We're about the same age so I've seen many of the players that have come and gone through the Maryville program. Maybe I'm just basing it on the number of players I saw come into the program in the mid 2000's that grew up playing with my son. I know that Coach Fulmer had very in-depth conversations with the Douglas family about where Aaron needed to be playing. I think every family would have similar stories about why they ended up at Maryville. I agree completely with your last two sentences. I have the utmost respect for Coach Quarles (and Coach E) and the programs they run. Fulton has the same scenario for both football and basketball. Maybe my perception is based on the high quality of players that have come in and had a big impact on the program. If they are losing players, I would assume it's because they couldn't perform at the level needed to earn minutes.

Sometimes we have lost a player to another school that would have never got to play at Maryville for one reason or the other but did well somewhere else. Recently a few years ago CAK had a kid that came through the Maryville system that would have never seen the light of day had he stayed.  The kid put some big numbers up and was one of the main reasons CAK made it to the championship and beat Alcoa that year. I knew the family personally and has a big reason I have always liked watching them when Maryville is not playing. I loved Rusty Bradley's system on offense. Anyway's when you get put on the shelf at Maryville which many do you have two choices, either hang around and be a part of a winning team and watch from the sidelines and be known as being Rudy the rest of your life or go somewhere else where you can contribute. I can name a hand full of kids that will be starting at other schools right now that would be on the shelf had they stayed.   Maryville is a very competitive program and is always looking at the future kids coming up and has a tendency to forget the ones they have when it looks like someone better is on the way.  It's a part of what comes with the price of winning at all cost.  

Sometimes we have lost a player to another school that would have never got to play at Maryville for one reason or the other but did well somewhere else. Recently a few years ago CAK had a kid that came through the Maryville system that would have never seen the light of day had he stayed.  The kid put some big numbers up and was one of the main reasons CAK made it to the championship and beat Alcoa that year. I knew the family personally and has a big reason I have always liked watching them when Maryville is not playing. I loved Rusty Bradley's system on offense. Anyway's when you get put on the shelf at Maryville which many do you have two choices, either hang around and be a part of a winning team and watch from the sidelines and be known as being Rudy the rest of your life or go somewhere else where you can contribute. I can name a hand full of kids that will be starting at other schools right now that would be on the shelf had they stayed.   Maryville is a very competitive program and is always looking at the future kids coming up and has a tendency to forget the ones they have when it looks like someone better is on the way.  It's a part of what comes with the price of winning at all cost.

You may want to keep David Douglas in your prayers. He isn't doing very well.

Sometimes we have lost a player to another school that would have never got to play at Maryville for one reason or the other but did well somewhere else. Recently a few years ago CAK had a kid that came through the Maryville system that would have never seen the light of day had he stayed. The kid put some big numbers up and was one of the main reasons CAK made it to the championship and beat Alcoa that year. I knew the family personally and has a big reason I have always liked watching them when Maryville is not playing. I loved Rusty Bradley's system on offense. Anyway's when you get put on the shelf at Maryville which many do you have two choices, either hang around and be a part of a winning team and watch from the sidelines and be known as being Rudy the rest of your life or go somewhere else where you can contribute. I can name a hand full of kids that will be starting at other schools right now that would be on the shelf had they stayed. Maryville is a very competitive program and is always looking at the future kids coming up and has a tendency to forget the ones they have when it looks like someone better is on the way. It's a part of what comes with the price of winning at all cost.

I'm no Maryville fan by any means, but from Coach Q's win/loss record I'd say he knows how to plug in the right players where they are needed. Not playing Upward anymore, they do keep score. Edited by GaddisTossSweep
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes we have lost a player to another school that would have never got to play at Maryville for one reason or the other but did well somewhere else. Recently a few years ago CAK had a kid that came through the Maryville system that would have never seen the light of day had he stayed. The kid put some big numbers up and was one of the main reasons CAK made it to the championship and beat Alcoa that year. I knew the family personally and has a big reason I have always liked watching them when Maryville is not playing. I loved Rusty Bradley's system on offense. Anyway's when you get put on the shelf at Maryville which many do you have two choices, either hang around and be a part of a winning team and watch from the sidelines and be known as being Rudy the rest of your life or go somewhere else where you can contribute. I can name a hand full of kids that will be starting at other schools right now that would be on the shelf had they stayed. Maryville is a very competitive program and is always looking at the future kids coming up and has a tendency to forget the ones they have when it looks like someone better is on the way. It's a part of what comes with the price of winning at all cost.

. Corey Rathbones dad was a Maryville High alumni and played drums in the band

I'm no Maryville fan by any means, but from Coach Q's win/loss record I'd say he knows how to plug in the right players where they are needed. Not playing Upward anymore, they do keep score.

Coach Q knows what he is doing for sure but sometimes with a team with almost a 100 players makes it hard to play everyone. A lot of kids that are on the team are able to play at other schools that may have been in a group of kids that were all good at one certain position. The one thing I'm saying about the youth coming up it's very easy for someone that watches the program closely can almost guess who most of the starters will be three years from now.