Best Overall in The State

steelerfan32

You agreed that I said you could be but you did say that Mitchell cheats. That is a big difference.

How did i say they cheated?  By recruiting?  Surely you don't expect me and everyone else to believe that these athletes just show up on your door step year after year?  Is the omission of the truth a lie?  As i have said open enrollment give Memphis teams a huge advantage over most public school systems would you not agree?  So most coaches use the AAU programs as a way of sending messages to get kids to come to the school.  Now granted if a school is successful that will most assuredly bring kids in as well.  Memphis East is going to draw them in because of Hardaway, i mean what kid wouldn't want to play for him!  Do I think Mitchell puts up billboards like the private schools do?  No but i know how the system works and as a coach i'm not going to say no to a 6'7 kid that shows up on my doorstep!  Like i said its more of a TSSAA thing to me.  They penalize us while allowing schools systems like Memphins/Alcoa/private schools etc.. to have "open enrollment" where no move is necessary.  All the kids down there have to say is they moved in with their Aunt or Grandma or whomever and they "ok" it.  I'm all for these kids having a great high school experience and hopefully it will lead to them being a productive citizen in our society.  You look at Manassas, ever since Buckner left and they had to play in AA they haven't even been heard of have they?  Mitchell has AAA talent that is coming to that  school from all over the city, how is that possible? With "open enrollment" so call it what you want, a duck is still a duck.....

Edited by UCSportsFan

How did i say they cheated?  By recruiting?  Surely you don't expect me and everyone else to believe that these athletes just show up on your door step year after year?  Is the omission of the truth a lie?  As i have said open enrollment give Memphis teams a huge advantage over most public school systems would you not agree?  So most coaches use the AAU programs as a way of sending messages to get kids to come to the school.  Now granted if a school is successful that will most assuredly bring kids in as well.  Memphis East is going to draw them in because of Hardaway, i mean what kid wouldn't want to play for him!  Do I think Mitchell puts up billboards like the private schools do?  No but i know how the system works and as a coach i'm not going to say no to a 6'7 kid that shows up on my doorstep!  Like i said its more of a TSSAA thing to me.  They penalize us while allowing schools systems like Memphins/Alcoa/private schools etc.. to have "open enrollment" where no move is necessary.  All the kids down there have to say is they moved in with their Aunt or Grandma or whomever and they "ok" it.  I'm all for these kids having a great high school experience and hopefully it will lead to them being a productive citizen in our society.  You look at Manassas, ever since Buckner left and they had to play in AA they haven't even been heard of have they?  Mitchell has AAA talent that is coming to that  school from all over the city, how is that possible? With "open enrollment" so call it what you want, a duck is still a duck.....

UC, I love you and i pray for you everyday...

Just my 2 cents...I don't call it cheating when its open enrollment. 

The Shelby County School district has zoned attendance areas for each school.  It is also open enrollment, meaning that a student can apply to another school and probably will be accepted if the school is not at 85% (i think that is what it was a few years ago) of full capacity, but official school bus transportation will not be provided.

the reason for open enrollment has to due with size of student population as well as location of school buildings.  SCS is #1 in the state as far as number of students and in the top 10 nationally.  Some schools would have double digit enrollment if it was not Open due to families leaving school's zoned neighborhoods.  There are more students enrolled in a single high school than some small town / county's entire school district. 

The same playing restrictions apply to Open schools. Player has to sit out a year from last play / practice date and the previous school's coach / AD has to sign a release form that has to be turned into tssaa.  two very, very high profile players from Memphis could not play their senior year because of this.  

So all those kids that play for Mitchell live in that area of Memphis, right next to the school?  

When you have open enrollment, any kid across the city of Memphis can attend Mitchell High School. A kid that lives blocks away from FedEx Forum, the Liberty Bowl, the intersection of Central Avenue and Poplar Avenue, or even Ridgeway High School has the opportunity to attend Mitchell High School. However, there are some rules for this. It's not like a student can attend one high school to play basketball, not like it and then transfer back to the normal high school he is originally suppose to attend and play basketball. The honest thing is, winning attracts players. Look at Alabama in football, UCONN in girls basketball, so on and so on. That's reality as it gets. If you win and your school district has open enrollment, you're going to attract players. There's no if's, and's, or but's about it. Dyer County has open enrollment and they collect athletes from Crockett and Lake counties. If I was a baseball player, I would choose Dyer County over Crockett and Lake County. Who wouldn't? And yes, Dyer County is a county school.

Since your name is UCsportsfan, it looks like you made be representing Union or Unicoi County. You need to worry about your Patriots or Blue Devils because they look to be an average team. If it is not Union County or Unicoi County, would you mind telling me which team you are representing? The team I am representing is Jackson North Side. We aren't perfect in our sports, but I am glad to tell you what our athletes do on the field (even though we aren't good except for football)

Edited by TennesseeVol