Moving to Division II

boxer822

How can any private school remain in D1, LEGALLY.

There may be other catches, but the main catch all that the TSSAA decided to consider "financial assistance" is the fact that most privates cost $10,000 - 20,000 per student per year. So for the benefit of families who have 2, 3, 4, 5 children they offer ALL families a multi student discount on tuition to make it more practical to send a family with multiple children to a private school. Our tax dollars do not help our particular school 1 penny, which it is our choice to sacrifice knowing this. This frankly has very little to do with athletics and just as well applies to multi children families who have band members, cheerleaders, dancers, artsy kids, etc. But it was a good thing for the TSSAA to hang their hat on and they did. No argument from me, only that if they are going to have size classifications, move effectively most if not all privates to D2, then address open zone schools that are used to the fullest advantage within the rules. That is a glaring issue left on the table.

There may be other catches, but the main catch all that the TSSAA decided to consider "financial assistance" is the fact that most privates cost $10,000 - 20,000 per student per year. So for the benefit of families who have 2, 3, 4, 5 children they offer ALL families a multi student discount on tuition to make it more practical to send a family with multiple children to a private school. Our tax dollars do not help our particular school 1 penny, which it is our choice to sacrifice knowing this. This frankly has very little to do with athletics and just as well applies to multi children families who have band members, cheerleaders, dancers, artsy kids, etc. But it was a good thing for the TSSAA to hang their hat on and they did. No argument from me, only that if they are going to have size classifications, move effectively most if not all privates to D2, then address open zone schools that are used to the fullest advantage within the rules. That is a glaring issue left on the table.

The problem with the tssaa and opened zoned schools is that every school system is effectively open zoned unless the school board to votes to have a closed zoned school system. I would say that at least 50% of the schools that play in the tssaa is open zoned

The problem with the tssaa and opened zoned schools is that every school system is effectively open zoned unless the school board to votes to have a closed zoned school system. I would say that at least 50% of the schools that play in the tssaa is open zoned

Then why all the hate for the privates?  I thought the argument for the multiplier was that the privates got players from wherever, while the publics got "whoever gets off the school bus".  I understand that argument.  However, I do not understand that argument if more than 50% of the publics can also get players from wherever.  Someone please explain.

Then why all the hate for the privates? I thought the argument for the multiplier was that the privates got players from wherever, while the publics got "whoever gets off the school bus". I understand that argument. However, I do not understand that argument if more than 50% of the publics can also get players from wherever. Someone please explain.

that's why the the next thing for them to cry about is how they can't win a gold ball because of open enrollment. They will cry until they get a multiplier. By then we will probably have 12 classes so everyone can get a gold ball. Strap up and play football.

Then why all the hate for the privates?  I thought the argument for the multiplier was that the privates got players from wherever, while the publics got "whoever gets off the school bus".  I understand that argument.  However, I do not understand that argument if more than 50% of the publics can also get players from wherever.  Someone please explain.

for the most part, the phsychological inclination for hatred is only there if you as a private school are germane in sports when competing against the PUB....if you are not germane in a sport on the day of competition against that PUB; then the PUB can shed fair portions of that hatred.....if you are not germane in that sport against that PUB over long periods of time; one may even experience luv of frienship with a PUB

Booger just sayin  :mrgreen:

Then why all the hate for the privates? I thought the argument for the multiplier was that the privates got players from wherever, while the publics got "whoever gets off the school bus". I understand that argument. However, I do not understand that argument if more than 50% of the publics can also get players from wherever. Someone please explain.

Edited by Swipes

I personally don't have a problem with playing against private schools. My school has had state championships in multiple sports while being public and competing against teams like Catholic, Notre Dame, Berean Christian, etc. What alot of people don't like when it comes the difference between public and private is that all private school student can come from anywhere (In county, out county) as long as they have the money or financial aide as it stands before the new rule came out, and have access to alot more resounces that alot of public open zoned schools do. In an open zone system kids are still in a zone that they can attend by bus, but have to get a school board approval to attend another school were they have to provide their own Transpertation

I personally don't have a problem with playing against private schools. My school has had state championships in multiple sports while being public and competing against teams like Catholic, Notre Dame, Berean Christian, etc. What alot of people don't like when it comes the difference between public and private is that all private school student can come from anywhere (In county, out county) as long as they have the money or financial aide as it stands before the new rule came out, and have access to alot more resounces that alot of public open zoned schools do. In an open zone system kids are still in a zone that they can attend by bus, but have to get a school board approval to attend another school were they have to provide their own Transpertation

well said.......what Booger was sayin......we would have 1 or 2 Gold balls in the last couple of years were for Alcoee.....they aint hatin on no Privates

Booger just said  :thumb:

So let's recap what we know so far

Going D2 - Concord Christian, CAK, Boyd Buchanan, Silverdale, ChattanoogaChristian, Grace Baptist (Chatt), Goodpasture, CPA, Nashville Christian, and Jackson Christian

Staying D1 - Columbia Academy, Clarksville Academy, Trinity Christian

Undecided - Knoxville Catholic, Grace Christian (Knox), Notre Dame, Middle Tennessee Christian, Grace Christian (Franklin), Lipscomb Academy

• Upvote 1

So let's recap what we know so far

Going D2 - Concord Christian, CAK, Boyd Buchanan, Silverdale, ChattanoogaChristian, Grace Baptist (Chatt), Goodpasture, CPA, Nashville Christian, and Jackson Christian

Staying D1 - Columbia Academy, Clarksville Academy, Trinity Christian

Undecided - Knoxville Catholic, Grace Christian (Knox), Notre Dame, Middle Tennessee Christian, Grace Christian (Franklin), Lipscomb Academy

Waiting on the "official" announcement, but Grace Christian (Knox) appears to be heading to D2. Still no word on Catholic.

Waiting on the "official" announcement, but Grace Christian (Knox) appears to be heading to D2. Still no word on Catholic.

Will Knox catholic still be able to keep those kids that the parents get compensated to pay for tuition for doing odd jobs for the team or school and still stay D1 ??