Moving to Division II

boxer822

Here's the "loophole" in TSSAA's rules...they were already DII before the last reclassification cycle, and decided to go back to DI after four years of freedom to accumulate talent by methods not allowed if in DI. I applaud the administrators for the move previously, and understand that they struggled in some sports to win (not compete), but I also feel that they had (and have) the advantage of skipping back and forth as they choose, and the potential of using these cycles from the private division to public to load up talent. Understand that I'm not accusing them of doing this...just saying that it would be possible if they (or any other private) chose to do that. I feel that TSSAA should be proactive rather than reactive in legislating...don't address a situation when someone is "caught" doing something unethical, the rules should be formulated to prevent such transgressions. 

Trader,

You may know that before I started announcing TCA football back in 2009, I spent the 3 previous years as the radio PBP voice for the JCS football team.  I can assure you that JCS did not take advantage by switching between the two divisions and loading up on talent before coming back to Division 1.  The record of the JCS football team over the last few years certainly shows that they are some what thin in the talent department on the football side of things.  My opinion on the main reason they switched back to D1 from a stint in D2 was travel costs.  Also, most of the teams in their D2 football region did not travel well and that hurt the JCS gate. 

While I can't vouch for all private schools, I know for a fact that TCA and JCS have operated completely within the TSSAA rules that were mandated for private schools playing in D1.  Unfortunately, all of the cry babies have gotten the TSSAA to for all practical purposes legislate the vast majority of D1 privates to D2.  JCS announced it today.  I am sure that an announcement from TCA will be forth coming.  It will be a sad day when it happens. 

With TCA and JCS in this region, travel will be much better for everyone but St. George's.

Maybe TSSAA will bump them over to Memphis-only region?

That region would be:

St. George's, FACS, Northpoint, Harding, ECS, and Lausanne. 

Rural West Tenn region would be:

USJ, TCA, JCS, Fayette Academy, and Tipton-Rosemark.

With TCA and JCS in this region, travel will be much better for everyone but St. George's.

That region would be:

Kublah, based on the current classification numbers by the TSSAA, all of the Memphis-only region teams you list would be in AA (ECS and Lausanne haven't yet reported, but should be over the 265 cutoff).  

Only USJ in the Rural West Tenn region would be in AA; the rest would be in A (JCS hasn't reported yet). 

That region would be:

numbers don't shake out like that 256 would be cutoff for D2 A. USJ would be in AA Edited by BigEdMo

Jackson Sun just confirmed that Jackson Christian will be moving back to D2 next year. Hopefully they can compete in football and boys and girls basketball.

JCA has struggled the last severa years being competitive against D2 teams. Maybe the move will help change that? Staying where they are might be a more competitive environment?

I will say this though. The folks there are first class and the facilities are pretty good too. I wish them all the best.

Trader,

You may know that before I started announcing TCA football back in 2009, I spent the 3 previous years as the radio PBP voice for the JCS football team.  I can assure you that JCS did not take advantage by switching between the two divisions and loading up on talent before coming back to Division 1.  The record of the JCS football team over the last few years certainly shows that they are some what thin in the talent department on the football side of things.  My opinion on the main reason they switched back to D1 from a stint in D2 was travel costs.  Also, most of the teams in their D2 football region did not travel well and that hurt the JCS gate. 

While I can't vouch for all private schools, I know for a fact that TCA and JCS have operated completely within the TSSAA rules that were mandated for private schools playing in D1.  Unfortunately, all of the cry babies have gotten the TSSAA to for all practical purposes legislate the vast majority of D1 privates to D2.  JCS announced it today.  I am sure that an announcement from TCA will be forth coming.  It will be a sad day when it happens. 

You folks at TCA and JCS are the reason that I choose my words carefully Reitz...great programs, great fans, and NO WRONGDOING that I even suspect. The fact is though, that if there is an avenue to gain an advantage someone will use it, and it's there. Friendship Christian had an unbelievable run before they switched to DII...football, basketball, softball, and girls soccer all won state championships within two years (football back to back), and bad luck kept the baseball team from winning it all, as they were the probable best team in the state for about three years running. Their own website proudly declared that over 70% of students participated in athletics...not possible to accumulate championship caliber athletes in that many sports with only 300+ students, unless they're selected for that purpose. The actions of a few cast a bad light on those who are similar, but don't "bend" the rules. Your program and fans have my sincere respect, and hope that we can continue to play.. we have great atmosphere and good competition (along with some large gates) at all our games, but I don't relish the idea of our team running into a "loaded" private school who is in our division just because of enrollment, which the administration can control.  

You folks at TCA and JCS are the reason that I choose my words carefully Reitz...great programs, great fans, and NO WRONGDOING that I even suspect. The fact is though, that if there is an avenue to gain an advantage someone will use it, and it's there. Friendship Christian had an unbelievable run before they switched to DII...football, basketball, softball, and girls soccer all won state championships within two years (football back to back), and bad luck kept the baseball team from winning it all, as they were the probable best team in the state for about three years running. Their own website proudly declared that over 70% of students participated in athletics...not possible to accumulate championship caliber athletes in that many sports with only 300+ students, unless they're selected for that purpose. The actions of a few cast a bad light on those who are similar, but don't "bend" the rules. Your program and fans have my sincere respect, and hope that we can continue to play.. we have great atmosphere and good competition (along with some large gates) at all our games, but I don't relish the idea of our team running into a "loaded" private school who is in our division just because of enrollment, which the administration can control.

I am pretty sure Friendship Christian won the D1 Single A State Championship in baseball in 2013.

And no offense but I bet USJ would love to give up St George and ECS for TCA and JC. Nope you guys will still be with them. TCA and JC enrollment is around 245. We would be in the lower division.

ECS is in the other West region.

As for USJ loving the trade, they're not paying Coach Bradley to beat up the same teams we've already been beating up for 30 years ;)

TCA should be very competitive in the lower division! They'd do fine in the middle division in some years, as recent victories over SGS, ECS and USJ have shown

By the way, any update on Jabriel Washington? Was hoping he'd make the Rams. He impressed in camp. Did I miss it or has the Jackson Sun yet to mention this?

You folks at TCA and JCS are the reason that I choose my words carefully Reitz...great programs, great fans, and NO WRONGDOING that I even suspect. The fact is though, that if there is an avenue to gain an advantage someone will use it, and it's there. Friendship Christian had an unbelievable run before they switched to DII...football, basketball, softball, and girls soccer all won state championships within two years (football back to back), and bad luck kept the baseball team from winning it all, as they were the probable best team in the state for about three years running. Their own website proudly declared that over 70% of students participated in athletics...not possible to accumulate championship caliber athletes in that many sports with only 300+ students, unless they're selected for that purpose. The actions of a few cast a bad light on those who are similar, but don't "bend" the rules. Your program and fans have my sincere respect, and hope that we can continue to play.. we have great atmosphere and good competition (along with some large gates) at all our games, but I don't relish the idea of our team running into a "loaded" private school who is in our division just because of enrollment, which the administration can control.  

Pretty big leap. And to set the record straight, the softball championship was AFTER switching to DII. It should not be unusual for a small school trying to field multiple teams when the excitement of winning kicks in. I can tell you as an alum and current parent, you're way off on "selecting" for that purpose. You have no reason to make accusations you can't prove. We had our run. It's over for now. Hopefully, it will cycle back.

Pretty big leap. And to set the record straight, the softball championship was AFTER switching to DII. It should not be unusual for a small school trying to field multiple teams when the excitement of winning kicks in. I can tell you as an alum and current parent, you're way off on "selecting" for that purpose. You have no reason to make accusations you can't prove. We had our run. It's over for now. Hopefully, it will cycle back.

Got my information from the FCS website and a frequent poster, commanderman, who was a recent graduate from the school. The comment about "selecting" was not stated as fact, but my opinion...which I stand by. 70% participation for athletics from the entire student body is barely believable if encouraged strongly enough...being "in the conversation" for a state championship in virtually every sport is not.