Moving to Division II

boxer822

Alright. Back to the original intent of this discussion thread. We will know for sure by mid-October about current private schools going to division 2. But as of right now, who all has declared an official intent to make the move? Notre Dame and Chattanooga Christian? What about the Knoxville privates? Have any officially made an announcement yet?

it would be a much shorter list to say who hasn't officially declared they are moving to D2. Chattanooga Christian announced early they were moving. Notre Dame will have to move. They are one of the main ones the new rules were written for... They have been very creative with work-studies, scholarships and the like.

I think I have seen where just about everyone except Knox Catholic has announced. Did I miss Catholic's announcement? Seems like everyone with a football team is going D2, except maybe one smaller school, who I don't recall.

Columbia Academy announced they are staying D1.  I haven't heard anyone else announcing intentions to stay.

The way I understand it, if Knox Catholic moves to D2, they will be 1 of 7 teams in AAA based on TSSAA's recent ruling.  As the only Knoxville team in AAA, they would have to travel to Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis for region games.  Travel costs for region games between Knoxville and Memphis would be ridiculous, probably requiring an overnight stay.  Knox Catholic may be waiting to see if anyone decides to play up in AAA (specifically BA and Ensworth) to get a better picture of what their region may look like.  

As an aside, has TSSAA considered the safety of students and parents driving 6-7 hours one-way for region games?  Crazy.........

Columbia Academy announced they are staying D1.  I haven't heard anyone else announcing intentions to stay.

The way I understand it, if Knox Catholic moves to D2, they will be 1 of 7 teams in AAA based on TSSAA's recent ruling.  As the only Knoxville team in AAA, they would have to travel to Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis for region games.  Travel costs for region games between Knoxville and Memphis would be ridiculous, probably requiring an overnight stay.  Knox Catholic may be waiting to see if anyone decides to play up in AAA (specifically BA and Ensworth) to get a better picture of what their region may look like.  

As an aside, has TSSAA considered the safety of students and parents driving 6-7 hours one-way for region games?  Crazy.........

They already travel to Nashville and Belfrey KY to play games .. so if only 7 teams in it then it would only require maybe 1 more travel game and they could fill in schedule with Publics and play close to home ... I think they may be using this as excuse .. I dont think Knox Catholic wants any part of the D2 AAA Privates ... we all now that there are kids at knox Catholic getting aid but how they mask it .. the TSSAA will not have the funds or manpower to investigate ..so look for KC to stay D1 ... and stay away from the other BIG privates who they want no part of ....  

They already travel to Nashville and Belfrey KY to play games .. so if only 7 teams in it then it would only require maybe 1 more travel game and they could fill in schedule with Publics and play close to home ... I think they may be using this as excuse .. I dont think Knox Catholic wants any part of the D2 AAA Privates ... we all now that there are kids at knox Catholic getting aid but how they mask it .. the TSSAA will not have the funds or manpower to investigate ..so look for KC to stay D1 ... and stay away from the other BIG privates who they want no part of ....  

Forgot to mention they also travel to Chattanooga currently  also ..... 

They should make Privates play privates  .. even the playing field for us teams like Carter .... 

They already travel to Chattanooga , Nashville and Belfrey KY to play games .. so if only 7 teams in it then it would only require maybe 1 more travel game and they could fill in schedule with Publics and play close to home ... I think they may be using this as excuse .. I dont think Knox Catholic wants any part of the D2 AAA Privates ... we all now that there are kids at knox Catholic getting aid but how they mask it .. the TSSAA will not have the funds or manpower to investigate ..so look for KC to stay D1 ... and stay away from the other BIG privates who they want no part of ....  

Seems like Knox Cath would want to play the best .... KC has 3 OL already offered by Tennessee and Rogers a Clemson commit and their best player IMO - Kuerchen who is D1 talent also .. and a host of others who will be playing in some form of college .. heck my poor ole Carter team may have 1  or 2 that could play on Div 3 teams .... a team like they have they arent really showing how good they are  ..they will steam roll all they play all the way thru playoffs ... but if they get joy and a feel of accomplishment doing that then I guess thats most important to them ... but ig they are skirting the rules by staying in D1 by masking some payments for tuition .. then shame on them . 

Seems like Knox Cath would want to play the best .... KC has 3 OL already offered by Tennessee and Rogers a Clemson commit and their best player IMO - Kuerchen who is D1 talent also .. and a host of others who will be playing in some form of college .. heck my poor ole Carter team may have 1  or 2 that could play on Div 3 teams .... a team like they have they arent really showing how good they are  ..they will steam roll all they play all the way thru playoffs ... but if they get joy and a feel of accomplishment doing that then I guess thats most important to them ... but ig they are skirting the rules by staying in D1 by masking some payments for tuition .. then shame on them . 

I know nothing about Knox Cath, other than hearing that they are very good - perhaps the best team in Tennessee this year.  I definitely don't know what their intentions are for D1 vs D2.  But if I were them, I would certainly consider the consequences of moving to D2, which would currently include 1 or 2 trips each year to Memphis for region games and 1 or 2 trips to Nashville.  

The point of my post was directed at the stupidity of TSSAA's ruling on D2's divisions - not accepting the recommendation of 3 equal divisions but making the "arbitrary" cutoffs at 265 and 530 to create AAA with only 7 teams.  They want all privates to go D2 (and I would agree), but then they create ludicrous divisions which make it very unattractive.

Besides the example of Knox Cath potentially being the only Knoxville team in AAA, based on enrollment numbers released already, Silverdale, Grace Christian in Knoxville, and Columbia Academy would be in AA with Ensworth and Brentwood Academy.  Surely Ensworth and BA would prefer to play up in AAA, but they would be crazy to not seriously consider staying where TSSAA put them based on the insane travel schedule they'd be forced to have in AAA.  I don't know if they have announced what they are doing, but it seems like several D1 privates may want to know that before they make a decision.......

Jackson Sun just confirmed that Jackson Christian will be moving back to D2 next year. Hopefully they can compete in football and boys and girls basketball.

Here's the "loophole" in TSSAA's rules...they were already DII before the last reclassification cycle, and decided to go back to DI after four years of freedom to accumulate talent by methods not allowed if in DI. I applaud the administrators for the move previously, and understand that they struggled in some sports to win (not compete), but I also feel that they had (and have) the advantage of skipping back and forth as they choose, and the potential of using these cycles from the private division to public to load up talent. Understand that I'm not accusing them of doing this...just saying that it would be possible if they (or any other private) chose to do that. I feel that TSSAA should be proactive rather than reactive in legislating...don't address a situation when someone is "caught" doing something unethical, the rules should be formulated to prevent such transgressions.