D-1 AAA vs D-2

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Let's keep in mind a few facts about Eason:

1.  He injured his shoulder & elbow early in the season and will have "Tommy John" surgery ASAP.

2.  The natural weight for Eason would have been 120.

3.  Not only did he win his 2nd state title while requiring surgery he was also one match away from placing at national preps.

If he recovers from his surgery without any complications I see Eason as one of the top recruits coming out of Tennessee next season.  His wrestling skills are strong but his athletic ability is unmatched and he has the mental toughness required to win when the bright lights are turned on.  Give Eason a redshirt season and a year in a good weight program and he will make someone a great 133 or 141 that has the athletic ability to AA on the D1 level. 

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

chalifoux-Mullin may have very well have been the best match on the year. I wasn't aware Killian had beaten pond.. But even then I don't see him as top 5 with 3 losses to Griggs. He's right there on the cusp. But if we are talking ALL-Star, there are better options is all I'm saying. I wish we did have an all state team. How hard would it be to have the coaches and officials at the state tournament vote on an all state 1st team, 2nd team, and freshman team?

Not sure if I understand your logic about Killian, losing to the state champion (and finishing second yourself) bumps you out of the Top 5? And of the other kids you mentioned, Killian majored one and another (Sesnan) couldn't even make weight at Regionals.

CBJ, that is fascinating about Eason, I had no idea he was injured; to overcome two prior losses to an opponent while also requiring major surgery takes guts. He sure is fun to watch

Edited by D2Wrestling
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if I understand your logic about Killian, losing to the state champion (and finishing second yourself) bumps you out of the Top 5? And of the other kids you mentioned, Killian majored one and another (Sesnan) couldn't even make weight at Regionals.

CBJ, that is fascinating about Eason, I had no idea he was injured; to overcome two prior losses to an opponent while also requiring major surgery takes guts. He sure is fun to watch

well for starters you have Griggs ahead of him. You also put Dezember who beat him, Sesnan, who even though he was a tenth of a pound over that doesn't mean Killian would beat him. Then you have Palmer, who beat Griggs. And Nelson and wheaten, who both beat Palmer.

IMO, The top 3 106's are wheaten, Palmer, and Nelson. That leaves 2 spots for either Killian, Griggs, Sesnan, Dezember, pond. Griggs beat him

3 times.. So at the most, Killian is 5th. And that's if he could beat Sesnan or Dezember, who beat him in the year

Killian did not win D2. I would also put Luke Mullin over Eason. Boykin has never faired well against Evans. The last time they were in a bracket together Evans placed third and Boykin placed seventh. My team would be

Wheaton

Hicks

Chalifoux

Mullin

Simpson

King

Murphy

Heyward

Russo

Linton

Whimper

Parker

Stacey

Evans

Heyward 152 for Chatt Central  BTW beat Byer ,Sells and 145 runner up ....ALL in AAA did not lose to a TN wrestler this year.

endless fun, if only someone would sponsor a round robin of at least all three 1st place finishers and if you like expand it to include all 2nd place as well with one additional at large for each weight to include young men like Russo.  I know you say it cant be done, but seriously y not - three hours three mats...  And wouldn't the wrestlers being champions look forward to settling it?   

Did he beat Beyer this year?

Varsity - 152

1st Place - Alonso Heyward of Chattanooga Central High School

2nd Place - Donnie Beyer of Bradley Central High School

3rd Place - Arthur James of Science Hill High School

4th Place - Justin Wheeler of Chattanooga Christian High School

1st Place Match

1st Place Match - Alonso Heyward (Chattanooga Central High School) won by decision over Donnie Beyer (Bradley Central High School) (Dec 7-2)

3rd Place Match

3rd Place Match - Arthur James (Science Hill High School) won by fall over Justin Wheeler (Chattanooga Christian High School) (Fall 1:31)

Varsity - 152

1st Place - Alonso Heyward of Chattanooga Central High School

2nd Place - Donnie Beyer of Bradley Central High School

3rd Place - Arthur James of Science Hill High School

4th Place - Justin Wheeler of Chattanooga Christian High School

1st Place Match

1st Place Match - Alonso Heyward (Chattanooga Central High School) won by decision over Donnie Beyer (Bradley Central High School) (Dec 7-2)

3rd Place Match

3rd Place Match - Arthur James (Science Hill High School) won by fall over Justin Wheeler (Chattanooga Christian High School) (Fall 1:31)

Yeah I remembered when I was trying to think of it. Knew he lost at one of the invitationals, just couldn't remember which one.

Zach Linton at 170 went 65-1 this year and did not lose to a Tennessee Wrestler. He defeated 4 of the other 5 state medallist in his bracket, and 2 of the D2 medallist, all but one by major dec or above.  He only gave up an offensive score in 4 of 66 matches this past season (match he lost to Georgia state champ in OT, region final, state semis, and state finals)