TSSAA meeting

devilsden

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read the agenda for the TSSAA meeting on Wednesday that includes a 2 game suspension for a targeting foul in football?  Is this a national rule or a TSSAA rule they are wanting to pass?

This isn't a national rule, as far as I know. As of 2014, TSSAA game officials determine whether or not a targeting foul is deemed flagrant. Flagrant targeting warrants an ejection; otherwise, it's just a 15-yard personal foul penalty. I don't believe there is a mandatory suspension if a player is flagged for targeting, flagrant or not, so I think this is a proposal by TSSAA to potentially beef up the penalty for targeting.

Edited by osunut2

Well this is a disaster waiting to happen. I saw two helmet to helmet personal fouls last season that were an absolute joke. So you're telling me, that the men in stripes, who for the most part are terrible at their job and who are held to zero accountability by the TSSAA, are now going to possibly determine whether a kid can play for two weeks on a judgement call? Like I said, disaster waiting to happen if this is approved.  

Well this is a disaster waiting to happen. I saw two helmet to helmet personal fouls last season that were an absolute joke. So you're telling me, that the men in stripes, who for the most part are terrible at their job and who are held to zero accountability by the TSSAA, are now going to possibly determine whether a kid can play for two weeks on a judgement call? Like I said, disaster waiting to happen if this is approved.

Officials are held accountable and are graded. They do the best they can. Everybody sees things differently. It is not an easy job.

Officials are held accountable and are graded. They do the best they can. Everybody sees things differently. It is not an easy job.

Just curious as to who holds them accountable? I have seen way too many things go wrong over the last few years and the worst thing I have seen is the dismantling of a crew. Is that really being held accountable?

. They are not held accountable. Coaches can grade them & supervisors watch them & try to help them improve but they can't really do anything to them because they don't have enough officials to go round on Friday nights! With that being said the TSSAA is a bunch of darn idiots for even considering this. At the college & NFL level where the officials are amazing they have to use instant replay to determine if an ejection is justifiable. So you are telling me we are going to let high school officials (who are just doing the best they can) cost a kid 2 games of his short high school career on a judgment call without replay? If the best officials in the world need replay for this one how can the worst ones make that call without it??

. They are not held accountable. Coaches can grade them & supervisors watch them & try to help them improve but they can't really do anything to them because they don't have enough officials to go round on Friday nights! With that being said the TSSAA is a bunch of darn idiots for even considering this. At the college & NFL level where the officials are amazing they have to use instant replay to determine if an ejection is justifiable. So you are telling me we are going to let high school officials (who are just doing the best they can) cost a kid 2 games of his short high school career on a judgment call without replay? If the best officials in the world need replay for this one how can the worst ones make that call without it??

I know they are graded periodically. A guy in my hometown does this from the stands. Also know that film has been sent in from time to time that resulted in suspensions so I have been told. It is not an easy job. Officials will always make bad, questionable calls. It's part of the game.

Those of you on here that are quick to blast football officials should come give it a try. We are about to get things going. The state will be glad to have you professionals register and improve our roster of officials. Just for the record in football we (the association I'm in) are graded/observed for opportunities to work playoff games. We are prone to make mistakes but all the guys I work with put in as much as 4 to 10 hours a week not counting Friday night of work and study on officiating. Just be careful judging guys doing something most of you are scared to try

Personally, I figured this was about what the T$$AA was going to talk about is what their response is going to be if there is an incident here in Tn like Texas last year where the two players TOOK out an official there during a game.

Ummm? It happened this year in metro. Was highly publicised.

Think its funny you use T$$AA considering your programs history at Riverdale. The TSSAA has been very good to you guys. :)

Glad to see the proposal was tabled for later discussion.  I have talked to some coaches in different area's of our state and found not one single coach OR OFFICIAL that thinks this is a good rule.  Does that mean we shouldn't look at it and decide what if anything we need to do to help protect the safety of our players?  No, something needs/should be done, but what, is the question. 

I really liked what Bernard Childress stated in the newspaper interview.  Maybe we should suspend the guilty player for 4 quarters.  I think some coaches would support that rule.

Here is a situation that is hypothetical...Opening kickoff for the 2016 season.  K-off coverage player hits returner and receives a flagrant targeting foul penalty and receives:  1) 2 game suspension as proposed. The player actually will miss 3 games.  2) A 4 quarter suspension.  He will be eligible to return to action in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd game.  NOW, what do you do to a repeat offender?  MAYBE DOUBLE THE PENALTY?  I don't know the answer but I do believe that the situation described in #1 is way too harsh.

I think the TSSAA and the TnFCA need to sit down and discuss the possibilities.  I also know that the state of Georgia has not implemented any rule of this nature but was assured by the man that runs the championship games in Atlanta, that it would be brought up for discussion when they meet in mid April.  I have another friend that is checking with Alabama association to see if they have a rule in place.

Edited by sheppy

The problem with rule change is it's origin. Almost always the NFHSS recommends changes. This rule change is the brainchild of a TSSAA staff member. Coaches, players, and officials should all be involved in education about a problem. If it continues I would then make a recommendation to NFHSS for a rule change. Someone is watching to much college and pros and suggesting the high school football has a problem. How many times have you seen this? We had a call last year and after reviewing film bad call on wrong player and no way to review.