Alcoa reloading

32hammer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I counted 74 but I was also told Sally Sue's half sister's real father's third cousin's boy was on vacation. I did also count 37 freshmen. Like you said that is a good number of kids that are playing but two years ago the team had 94 players and when you see 74 it is noticeable. The freshmen team have had 50 plus players the past few years and one had close to sixty and to see 37 would also get your attention. Just hope what ever is keeping these kids away from playing doesn't continue for both teams.

I think one reason, as has already been mentioned, is the year long commitment it takes to play football in Blount county. A lot of kids without the support of a solid two parent home would have trouble with that type of commitment.  Another reason The total numbers may be down is the current talent level. Some kids just aren't going to work their tails of for 11 months knowing they'll never start and get very little playing time even as a senior. Its a tough pill to swallow and there are too many other sports out there now they can participate in with less commitment and effort and still start.

When I saw Alcoa practicing the other day, it looked like they have a smaller team than they usually do. Not saying they have a small team numbers wise, they still have more than the average 3A team, but not as big as they usually have.

Do you mean fewer players, smaller players or both? Because I bet their freshman line is bigger than a lot of 4A lines.

Another issue may be the concussion issue. I have run across numerous parents who say they will not allow their sons to play football. With all of the national attention and bad press, one has to wonder just what the net impact is at the middle school level. I suspect not much yet, but this could become a more significant issue in the future.

I have not coached midget league in three years and I wonder what the numbers look like on local teams this fall?

Another issue may be the concussion issue. I have run across numerous parents who say they will not allow their sons to play football. With all of the national attention and bad press, one has to wonder just what the net impact is at the middle school level. I suspect not much yet, but this could become a more significant issue in the future.

I have not coached midget league in three years and I wonder what the numbers look like on local teams this fall?

I have a friend who is working on his PhD and he made an interesting comment the other day. He said that our society is becoming more and more feminized  and that things that are commonly associated with the masculine American male such a s Hunting and football will gradually be legislated down for our on safety. It will soon be seen as bad parenting for allowing your child to do these activities and eventually be seen as a form of child abuse or negligence for allowing your child to these activities. 

I don't necessarily agree with him but its an interesting topic. He said soccer will pass football in popularity unless football is downgraded to 7 on 7 passing games and  "e" games will eventually be the most popular sport of all.

No, he ain't from around here.

I have a friend who is working on his PhD and he made an interesting comment the other day. He said that our society is becoming more and more feminized  and that things that are commonly associated with the masculine American male such a s Hunting and football will gradually be legislated down for our on safety. It will soon be seen as bad parenting for allowing your child to do these activities and eventually be seen as a form of child abuse or negligence for allowing your child to these activities. 

I don't necessarily agree with him but its an interesting topic. He said soccer will pass football in popularity unless football is downgraded to 7 on 7 passing games and  "e" games will eventually be the most popular sport of all.

Hammer I'm not going to be surprised one bit. The last couple of years I have noticed the game crowds have dwindled down to nothing compared to years before and have mentioned it a few times but no one pays attention or counters it with something stupid. It's not only us but other schools as well. Just so many things to do or choose from keeps many away and the same with kids playing I would think. My thoughts are to scrap the system we're under such as the 6 classes and divide it into two and let there be rivalries and fun back in the game again and quit playing right into December so the T$$AA can make a pocket full of money. Let there be bowl games again. Pick you 16 or 32 teams and let it be that before they ruin it for good. 

We're from North California and south Alabama

And little towns all around this land

And we can skin a buck; we can run a trotline

And a country boy can survive

Country folks can survive - Bocephus

I do agree with the more feminized male population. The rest......he ain't from around here!