Can USJ finally get a gold ball?

IMO they did Marley wrong. And if they came crawling back I would tell them to take a hike. They got their just reward.

I feel the same way BigEdMo... with an asterisk*. I don't blame any administration for trying to do their best as long as it's on the up & up, but going about business as usual with your own coach while negotiating with another to replace him is treachery in my book. Everyone was shocked when Coach Marley was let go in order to go in "a different direction", save a select few who already had the new direction mapped out.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO they did Marley wrong. And if they came crawling back I would tell them to take a hike. They got their just reward.

They probably did Marley wrong, but Marley had his chance and didn't take advantage. Great talent, D-2, less talent in that classification. He had the easier route compared to D-1 coaches across our state. He did have an amazing record at USJ but it was ruined when you go into details. Some people did believe USJ did Marley wrong, but that's our opinions.

They probably did Marley wrong, but Marley had his chance and didn't take advantage. Great talent, D-2, less talent in that classification. He had the easier route compared to D-1 coaches across our state. He did have an amazing record at USJ but it was ruined when you go into details. Some people did believe USJ did Marley wrong, but that's our opinions.

I agree on the opinions. They are like butt holes, everyone has one and mine stinks sometimes. But IMO USJ thought a new coach would get different results. 2 years 2 coaches 2 semi finals. Now that coach is gone so I will ask the question that started this thread. How many gold balls will USJ win?

I agree on the opinions. They are like butt holes, everyone has one and mine stinks sometimes. But IMO USJ thought a new coach would get different results. 2 years 2 coaches 2 semi finals. Now that coach is gone so I will ask the question that started this thread. How many gold balls will USJ win?

I will say this about USJ. The night before the Milan game, I thought the Bulldogs would've won that game 35-21 (14 points), I thought the Bulldogs would have total control throughout the whole game and score a touchdown at the end of the game to seal the deal.

I will admit, I thought Milan would physically wear them down with speed and size in the game. I was wrong. Yes, USJ scored a touchdown in the later part of the game and recovered an onside kick to give them a chance to kick a game-winning field goal, which was a disaster from the word go.

I left Milan talking about how good USJ is, not Milan. It's not about who you come to see, it's who you leave talking about. USJ impressed me that night and I knew Rusty was in a great situation. They also followed that 2 point loss to Milan with a big win at Briarcrest the week after.

I don't know why he is leaving, I don't believe it has anything that relates to God even though he said that in the article in the Jackson Sun. He also said something about God on the reason he came to USJ, so I'm not buying that God is the reason why he is leaving.

I call myself a christian, but it would be wrong for me to say "God called me here" when I accepted a new job in Miami that comes with a 6-figure pay raise.

I will say this about USJ. The night before the Milan game, I thought the Bulldogs would've won that game 35-21 (14 points), I thought the Bulldogs would have total control throughout the whole game and score a touchdown at the end of the game to seal the deal.

I will admit, I thought Milan would physically wear them down with speed and size in the game. I was wrong. Yes, USJ scored a touchdown in the later part of the game and recovered an onside kick to give them a chance to kick a game-winning field goal, which was a disaster from the word go.

I left Milan talking about how good USJ is, not Milan. It's not about who you come to see, it's who you leave talking about. USJ impressed me that night and I knew Rusty was in a great situation. They also followed that 2 point loss to Milan with a big win at Briarcrest the week after.

I don't know why he is leaving, I don't believe it has anything that relates to God even though he said that in the article in the Jackson Sun. He also said something about God on the reason he came to USJ, so I'm not buying that God is the reason why he is leaving.

I call myself a christian, but it would be wrong for me to say "God called me here" when I accepted a new job in Miami that comes with a 6-figure pay raise.

funny you bring up the Milan game. A friend and I were discussing that game yesterday. I am not short changing USJ athletes but Milan should have handled them. I believe the coaching is what kept them in there. But also their talent also. USJ lost a lot this year. No more Trey no more Peel and a few other key players. And no Bradley now. Where does USJ go now. How many gold balls is not the question now. The question. Ow is how does USJ stabilize the program without stud athletes and no coach. What happens now with spring practice. What system do they use on offense, who coaches the line because there are big shoes to fill. And that is key to protect the QB. A lot of questions.

funny you bring up the Milan game. A friend and I were discussing that game yesterday. I am not short changing USJ athletes but Milan should have handled them. I believe the coaching is what kept them in there. But also their talent also. USJ lost a lot this year. No more Trey no more Peel and a few other key players. And no Bradley now. Where does USJ go now. How many gold balls is not the question now. The question. Ow is how does USJ stabilize the program without stud athletes and no coach. What happens now with spring practice. What system do they use on offense, who coaches the line because there are big shoes to fill. And that is key to protect the QB. A lot of questions.

No I don't think USJ will win a gold ball in the immediate future. They lost T. Smith, Peel (half of their D-Line), and Wells Smith (probably their best receiver statistically) and a nice supporting cast. 

They have some talent. Buie and Ryan Miller (WR I believe) are good football players, might want to add Laird in there at the safety position. Can't forget about Campbell, their kicker. Other than that, not much.

I mentioned a few days ago that their middle school program is down compared to what it was a few years ago. They don't have that "athlete" that other middle school programs have, they had a hard time stopping the run, and they were out sized and beat physically, couldn't keep up.

I looked at their schedule for the next two seasons and I've noticed D-1 teams are on it. It'll give us a identity where USJ will currently stand. Schedule wise:

They'll probably beat Chester County

They'll probably lose to Crockett County (I'm expecting Jordan Branch to have a huge senior season for CC, throw the 2016 Crockett County Cavs away, unfair game since the first week).

They'll lose to Haywood and St. George's (Haywood is the best team in West TN right now).

Everything else are wins/toss ups.

Also, I have been slacking and not looking at their classification throughout the whole state since the new alignment. They can't compete with CPA if CPA is in their new class, which there's a good chance that USJ will play CPA in November.

If USJ plays Milan on August 18th, 2017 (I think 8/18 is the opening night) Milan would probably win by 17-21. I don't think what they have coming back can replace what they lost.

I don't think the USJ administration feels like going through a huge search to bring a guy in, but who knows. They have the facilities and money to do it, we all know that.

If you take a step back here are some factors impacting his leaving. I'm on the outside with no real knowledge.

1) Knoxville is a great football town with more talent than Jackson. The Vols presence and population make for a better coaching life.

2) Did he sale his house in Knoxville ?

3) Was his family happy at USJ ?

4) GCA gives a coach the chance to build the program and with area connections make coaching hires. Who did he know in Jackson ?

5) The Memphis schools have more population and talent to draw from in the city than USJ in Jackson. USJ is now playing in a tough football league.

6) USJ will hire a quality football coach and continue to do well.

Edited by Gambler

If you take a step back here are some factors impacting his leaving. I'm on the outside with no real knowledge.

1) Knoxville is a great football town with more talent than Jackson. The Vols presence and population make for a better coaching life.

2) Did he sale his house in Knoxville ?

3) Was his family happy at USJ ?

4) GCA gives a coach the chance to build the program and with area connections make coaching hires. Who did he know in Jackson ?

5) The Memphis schools have more population and talent to draw from in the city than USJ in Jackson. USJ is now playing in a tough football league.

6) USJ will hire a quality football coach and continue to do well.

1. Knoxville should have more talent it is a much bigger town. However that talent is spread across many more high schools both public and private in Knoxville. They have a lot more schools than Jackson.

2. Selling his house is a great question.

3. He'll never say if his family was happy only citing God led him to the decision. I respect that but ultimately you know he had to do what was best family wise.

4. In my book building a program at USJ would have been about the same as at GCA because both are well established programs with track records of success. However you make a great point about knowing area coaches.

5. I fail to see the connection with Memphis as it relates to Jackson. And yes USJ is now playing in a tough football league. But it is the same league GCA will be in.

6. I absolutely agree.

• 2 weeks later...