Sequoyah at Polk County

BigDave1967

Like I said Polk is still very young. But with that said I like the direction we are going. Not saying we are going to run the district or anything like that. From what I saw last Friday I'm very encouraged with the next two years they will be contending for that top spot. But that's in the future. As of now just keep improving and learning and make those strides and we will be ok. Coach David finally weeded out all the kids that just wanted to put that helmet and jersey on and just stand there. He has the players bow that want to work and play with that Pride we always preach. For the GB scrimmage that's what it was a scrimmage against a very good football team and Polk worked on a lot of different things. Just from that scrimmage they improved. This year will have it rough spots but I think we will be in many of the games unlike last year. But ready for Friday and hopefully we get win number two.

Good Post!I hope Polk wins them all!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the keys to building a winning program you have to find out who wants to practice and play hard and find out who just wants to be on the team to get a letter jacket.

Exactly and I believe Coach Davis finally has those guys that will earn it and work for him. Took a couple of years but shouldn't be long before Polk is back to normal. Edited by Blaster7

I like Davis as a coach but I've been watching the feeder programs in our area the last 4 years. Not a surprise to anyone that Polk doesn't have the athletes and I haven't seen many that look like they are going to be like those teams mentioned above. I know kids grow and develope but they just don't have those numbers like they did and their style needs depth. Great fan base. Travel well. But one game doesn't make or break you at the beginning of the year. Good luck.

Glad to see that they hung with Coach Davis through the past couple of seasons.  As is the case with all rural small schools, talent comes and goes.  Say what you will about attitude, work ethic, etc., the bottom line is Polk hit a lull in good players.  That is evident at PC across the board in all sports.  A mule is never going to win the KY Derby.  Hope the Cats can keep it rolling and have a respectable sesaon!!!

Glad to see that they hung with Coach Davis through the past couple of seasons. As is the case with all rural small schools, talent comes and goes. Say what you will about attitude, work ethic, etc., the bottom line is Polk hit a lull in good players. That is evident at PC across the board in all sports. A mule is never going to win the KY Derby. Hope the Cats can keep it rolling and have a respectable sesaon!!!

That's all we are hoping for this season and continue to show improvement every week.

I'm taking Sequoyah 24 to 17. They have an athlete or two. Polk has a chance controlling the ball but I don't think they have depth to grind game in game out.

You clearly dont know Coach D's Style of play.  That is how he has built an exceptional football program that was a powerhouse at one point in time.  That being said.  I will be suprised if Polk wins this one after the way Sequoyah ran over Tellico.  Is Tellico just that bad? Or is Sequoyah actually a good football team?  Either way Polk is probably still at least a year away from being a good football team again and they will have to fight for everything win they get this year.  However, Polk's Griswold looked very impressive last Friday and the last time Polk was good they pretty much road one really good player in Zack Miller to several district titles.  Not taking anything away from the other players on those old teams, but if not for Miller they wouldnt have been near as good as they were.  Griswold could be such a player from what I saw last Friday.  Only time will tell.