Week 2: Meigs @ Oneida

crow

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh Pujo.....you must really know your coffee....!  This year region 2 is just gonna be a dogfight every time out, with GB considered the obvious front runner.  We'll each take our shot but unless they hit the skids (I don't expect that to happen) or get cursed with an injury bug then it will take a sharp team to overtake them.  They certainly have some nice pieces in place.  I suspect Meigs might be similar to GB, but was just slow out of the gate against a solid Sweetwater team. 

Crow, I think the excitement generated from the passing game was due to several things:  Accurate ball, solid protection, vertical throws, good routes, and the WR catching every thing sent their way.  In the past we have rarely been this solid in all phases, with our most glaring problem being dropped balls.  I can remember two (just last season) that would have been easy walk in scores without question.  Hope we can hit more but it was clearly an improvement over most efforts from last season.

The run game looked fine to me.....some tackles were more of a result of a busted assignment more than any other thing.  You know Oakdale spent all evening keying on Bam to keep him in check yet he had no minus yardage carries that I can remember.  The younger backs are just getting their feet wet.....you can see they have very good potential.    We'll just need to get our assignments corrected so that the RB's can get a lane.  I thought that criticism was much ado about nothing really.

Kazzy

Sheesh Pujo.....you must really know your coffee....!  This year region 2 is just gonna be a dogfight every time out, with GB considered the obvious front runner.  We'll each take our shot but unless they hit the skids (I don't expect that to happen) or get cursed with an injury bug then it will take a sharp team to overtake them.  They certainly have some nice pieces in place.  I suspect Meigs might be similar to GB, but was just slow out of the gate against a solid Sweetwater team. 

Crow, I think the excitement generated from the passing game was due to several things:  Accurate ball, solid protection, vertical throws, good routes, and the WR catching every thing sent their way.  In the past we have rarely been this solid in all phases, with our most glaring problem being dropped balls.  I can remember two (just last season) that would have been easy walk in scores without question.  Hope we can hit more but it was clearly an improvement over most efforts from last season.

The run game looked fine to me.....some tackles were more of a result of a busted assignment more than any other thing.  You know Oakdale spent all evening keying on Bam to keep him in check yet he had no minus yardage carries that I can remember.  The younger backs are just getting their feet wet.....you can see they have very good potential.    We'll just need to get our assignments corrected so that the RB's can get a lane.  I thought that criticism was much ado about nothing really.

Kazzy

Yet to be determined Kaz but IMHO if you guys can pull one out this week,you'll  give everyone in you're region fits. I do think  Meigs is the obvious favorites simple because of how many starters you had to replace.  Coach Lambert will have you guys prepared and he won't be there to lose. Hope like heck you pull it out. I'd love to see this game and it just might happen. Just depends on when we head back home from Williamsburg.

If we can keep it a low scoring affair then I like our chances. Keeping it low scoring is the hard part though :lol:

If you want a ticket to the game Thursday night,I've got you one. From what I hear,its gonna be a pretty good sized crowd.I'm pumped to see what the Patriots look like. I've heard that Brady boy is a good football player. lol

I'm not sure how much you can learn off of the first film because Oneida played one half and Meigs probably stayed with their first team all the way.  I was more surprised by Oneida considering all the players they lost.  I mean come on 4 returning starters on offense and defense, and they put Oakdale to rest in a half.  Meanwhile, a veteran Meigs team with almost everyone back has trouble separating from Sweetwater.  Maybe they were looking ahead or the Indians caught lightning in a bottle.....?  I do feel more confident in my team's prospects going forward.  We still have some things we have to shore up but this group seems to play with a chip on their shoulder.

Kooz

Meigs had trouble holding onto the ball last Friday. Turnovers and penalties were a big issue with the Sweetwater game. Meigs has returned most of the team but is using a freshman QB. I'm not making excuses for the mistakes nor am I making a pick for this game. After all Meigs lost to the Indians at home last year. Should be a good game I know Oneida is well coached and always has a good team. So I'll be looking forward to making the trip Friday.

I'm not sure Meigs can win a close game, especially if it comes down to coaching. Defensively Meigs is pretty solid but I really question the play calling. This is one of the most talented teams Meigs will have for some time but if you don't know how to use it what good is it? And for the life of me, why would you play a freshman over a senior at QB? I saw all the scrimmages except for Hixson and the senior was clearly the better of the two. The freshman is a good football player but is in no way ready to lead a team in this region. Yes Meigs beat Sweetwater but that's not saying a whole lot. The Marion, Tyner and Boyd games will be a long night for the Tigers if some things don't change and Friday night could be also if we don't take care of the ball.

If you want a ticket to the game Thursday night,I've got you one. From what I hear,its gonna be a pretty good sized crowd.I'm pumped to see what the Patriots look like. I've heard that Brady boy is a good football player. lol

Hey I appreciate the invite and the ticket offer. If something changes and I can come up I'll sure let you know but I gotta work in Knoxville the next morning. As it stands I'm not gonna be at the meigs game either. Grandpa duty calls, that's a trade I'll make any day, I'm getting the good end of the deal. As much as I like high school football it's not even in the same conversation as spending time with them grand youngns.

I'm not sure Meigs can win a close game, especially if it comes down to coaching. Defensively Meigs is pretty solid but I really question the play calling. This is one of the most talented teams Meigs will have for some time but if you don't know how to use it what good is it? And for the life of me, why would you play a freshman over a senior at QB? I saw all the scrimmages except for Hixson and the senior was clearly the better of the two. The freshman is a good football player but is in no way ready to lead a team in this region. Yes Meigs beat Sweetwater but that's not saying a whole lot. The Marion, Tyner and Boyd games will be a long night for the Tigers if some things don't change and Friday night could be also if we don't take care of the ball.

The QB change stumped me as well. The kid from last season was pretty darn good. Nothing against the freshman, he looks like he'll be a dandy but there is a lot of growing up goes on between 15 and 18.

Meigs had trouble holding onto the ball last Friday. Turnovers and penalties were a big issue with the Sweetwater game. Meigs has returned most of the team but is using a freshman QB. I'm not making excuses for the mistakes nor am I making a pick for this game. After all Meigs lost to the Indians at home last year. Should be a good game I know Oneida is well coached and always has a good team. So I'll be looking forward to making the trip Friday.

GT14 I'm right there with you. This is definitely a wait and see game for me. Like you I have some concerns on our side. Our difficulty sustaining drives with the inside run game and the number of missed tackles Friday has me a bit worried. Like you no excuses and no predictions here either. I know y'all are a talented team and yes we got the win last year but I think everyone that saw that one knows it could've easily went the other way.

Hey I appreciate the invite and the ticket offer. If something changes and I can come up I'll sure let you know but I gotta work in Knoxville the next morning. As it stands I'm not gonna be at the meigs game either. Grandpa duty calls, that's a trade I'll make any day, I'm getting the good end of the deal. As much as I like high school football it's not even in the same conversation as spending time with them grand youngns.

Don't blame you in the least Crow. Family come's before anything.