Metro Rankings

bleacher

8 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

1.) PC will never fall into that kind of slide.

2.) Glencliff's problems are demographics not coaching

Glencliff isn't a good team but they're moving in the right direction 

That is not a certainty. I never thought Glencliff would either. 

Edited by fb247

25 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

Pearl-Cohn will never become Glencliff.  The school’s cheerleading coach could become the head football coach and I’d say it’s a safe bet that PC would never fall to that level of obscurity.  

Never say never. I never thought Glencliff would be like this. Whites Creeks, Hunters Lane , Maplewood  and Mcgavock have all had very good teams. Never underestimate metro schools decisions to impact a program

20 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

It's a fact.  The tuba section from the Pearl-Cohn band would start at Glencliff.  

Comments like that you should be banned from coacht. Your user name should be changed to whatajerkiam. Those boys are someone's kids and no place on coacht should kids be embarrassed by people like you. 

Edited by fb247

8 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

It's as close to a certainty as it can be. Glencliff has never been good in a historical context. They only had 2 good seasons under Jim Wilson. 2 of the best coaches metro has had coached/ are coaching at Pearl

All it would take is a developer with pockets to start buying up the property around the school and putting up $$$ housing selling the proximity to "downtown and Nashville nightlife". You obviously have not lived here long enough to know what the Nations, Germantown and East Nasty were like before the "urban renewal'. 

Glencliff was a power in the 60's under Herschel Moore, late 80's under Broadbent and a couple years with Wilson.  Yall act like Pearl was always great. Pearl Cohn was open for 12 years before they were any good. It didn't happen until they put the "arts Magnet" over there so John Henderson could go to PC while living in the McGavock zone. You had to take something they offered that your zoned school didn't. Don't remember PC wanting Wheeler Henderson to come with him.

PC built a tradition that is strong, but nothing is forever. Creek had strong teams for 25 years with terrible facilities. Now they are a 2A school. 

8 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

It's as close to a certainty as it can be. Glencliff has never been good in a historical context. They only had 2 good seasons under Jim Wilson. 2 of the best coaches metro has had coached/ are coaching at Pearl

Pearl would beat Glencliff’s 1999 team with CJ Scott and CJ Johnson as badly as they wanted to.  It would be a massacre.  

This may be the best Pearl team since their 1997 team.  They’ve taken on all comers.  

I would love to see a hypothetical matchup between Pearl-Cohn and Oakland this year.  I know most years Oakland would probably beat them convincingly but this year I think it would be a great battle.  

48 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

All it would take is a developer with pockets to start buying up the property around the school and putting up $$$ housing selling the proximity to "downtown and Nashville nightlife". You obviously have not lived here long enough to know what the Nations, Germantown and East Nasty were like before the "urban renewal'. 

Glencliff was a power in the 60's under Herschel Moore, late 80's under Broadbent and a couple years with Wilson.  Yall act like Pearl was always great. Pearl Cohn was open for 12 years before they were any good. It didn't happen until they put the "arts Magnet" over there so John Henderson could go to PC while living in the McGavock zone. You had to take something they offered that your zoned school didn't. Don't remember PC wanting Wheeler Henderson to come with him.

PC built a tradition that is strong, but nothing is forever. Creek had strong teams for 25 years with terrible facilities. Now they are a 2A school. 

I've lived in Middle Tennessee all my life, and I agree that the demographic could change quickly but so far it hasn't. I hope it does change 

Pearl has had a pretty good run over the last 30 years, could they slide into mediocrity? Sure, but aside from a few bad years, they didn't miss much of a beat transitioning from Fitz to Brunetti

35 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

Pearl would beat Glencliff’s 1999 team with CJ Scott and CJ Johnson as badly as they wanted to.  It would be a massacre.  

This may be the best Pearl team since their 1997 team.  They’ve taken on all comers.  

I would love to see a hypothetical matchup between Pearl-Cohn and Oakland this year.  I know most years Oakland would probably beat them convincingly but this year I think it would be a great battle.  

I've always wanted Oakland to play Pearl, hopefully it happens soon.  Nothing but respect for PC, they'll anybody anywhere anytime

22 hours ago, fb247 said:

Never say never. I never thought Glencliff would be like this. Whites Creeks, Hunters Lane , Maplewood  and Mcgavock have all had very good teams. Never underestimate metro schools decisions to impact a program

You are absolutely correct that MNPS could basically screw up a one car funeral!  When Tony leaves PC they will have a difficult time replacing him.

One of the major issues with Glencliff is that there are 48+ various languages other than English that are spoken in the home of Glencliff students.  The student body is typically made of up first generation immigrants that did now grow up participating in athletics.  Most of the Glencliff student body goes to work immediately after school as work and making money to help ones family is a valued asset.  Yes, with a great principal that wanted to win in football Glencliff could hire a great coaching staff that would theoretically go out and recruit enough talent (yes, I said it and it’s the truth) to become competitive. 

Edited by cbg

2 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

I believe his successor is the head coach of another Metro program.  

MNPS tend to hire from within!  How long has it been since MNPS actually did anything past posting job openings on a website to hire coaches?  Great coaches are difficult to both find and hire.  When you fail to actively recruit those great coaches the chances are very slim that one of them will phone MNPS and inquire about a job.

Edited by cbg