Metro Rankings

bleacher

16 hours ago, fb247 said:

Needs to be black. parents want that and so do players. Just a good coach and not one of the ones mentioned already.

Really??? Why not just the best fit for the job?? Black, white, Asian.

I would be calling Hopkinsville, Kentucky and getting Lopez the former DC at Hillsboro a call. The guy can coach and players love him. He has worked under a hall of fame coach for the last decade. He may not want to leave KY but if they want to beat Pearl, he is a guy that can do it. Being an alum of Hillsboro, I was very impressed with what he and Clayton did for the Burros.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:31 AM, fb247 said:

Needs to be black. parents want that and so do players.

I hate to say this but in regards to landing a head football coaching job in Metro-Nashville you are absolutely right.  This is also the popular opinion of many who get the executive decisions when it comes to making these hires.  100% Fact.  

14 hours ago, District12AA said:

Really??? Why not just the best fit for the job?? Black, white, Asian.

I would be calling Hopkinsville, Kentucky and getting Lopez the former DC at Hillsboro a call. The guy can coach and players love him. He has worked under a hall of fame coach for the last decade. He may not want to leave KY but if they want to beat Pearl, he is a guy that can do it. Being an alum of Hillsboro, I was very impressed with what he and Clayton did for the Burros.

I appreciate all the kind words. I’m still finishing my certification and won’t be done until August. East will have a great selection of either coaches with HC experience or rising coordinators in Metro. I know many of them personally and all would do a heck of a job. 

• Like 1

I would love to be the system-wide Athletic Director in Metro.  There are so many "bad jobs" in Metro-Nashville today that haven't been competitive in quite some time.  Look at these numbers if you need proof.  

Hillwood (2010-2019):  30 Wins; 74 Losses

Antioch (2010-2019):  28 Wins; 77 Losses 

Whites Creek (2010-2019):  18 Wins; 83 Losses

Glencliff (2010-2019):  15 Wins; 86 Losses

Hunters Lane (2010-2019):  12 Wins; 89 Losses

Pearl-Cohn gets a bad rap because they get to co-op with MLK in football and it doesn't count against their enrollment numbers.  Honestly though MNPS would do themselves a tremendous favor if they'd do this with more of their schools across the district. 

Maplewood, Hunters Lane, and Whites Creek are all right down the road from one another.  If they'd co-op and form one football team on Friday nights in the fall it would certainly be a much better product.  

The same holds true for the Antioch kids who could be playing at Cane Ridge on Friday nights.

East Nashville and Stratford could return to the way it once was and their kids could play on one football team.  

If the TSSAA already allows it without penalizing one school then why wouldn't they do so across the entire district.   Think about how much better and more competitive the football would be across MNPS if this were the case.  

Howdoitknow I agree with what you are saying to a certain degree. The problem is exactly what you said last. I think metro is happy having three to four good teams and the rest mediocre at best. I think metro is happy having PC in 3A, MW in 4A, Hillsboro in 5A, and CR is 6A. PC has a good thing going in 3A. Solid staff that has been around together and always a threat to make a deep run. MW in 4A is usually at least solid and under RT they made a couple deep runs. In 5A Hillsboro is solid and has done well under Blade and Clayton. Fitzgerald could do it as well if he stays a little while. And CR has done well since JP was there and Woods has taken them on a couple deep runs. The rich get richer and they don't care about the poor. JMO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

I would love to be the system-wide Athletic Director in Metro.  There are so many "bad jobs" in Metro-Nashville today that haven't been competitive in quite some time.  Look at these numbers if you need proof.  

Hillwood (2010-2019):  30 Wins; 74 Losses

Antioch (2010-2019):  28 Wins; 77 Losses 

Whites Creek (2010-2019):  18 Wins; 83 Losses

Glencliff (2010-2019):  15 Wins; 86 Losses

Hunters Lane (2010-2019):  12 Wins; 89 Losses

Pearl-Cohn gets a bad rap because they get to co-op with MLK in football and it doesn't count against their enrollment numbers.  Honestly though MNPS would do themselves a tremendous favor if they'd do this with more of their schools across the district. 

Maplewood, Hunters Lane, and Whites Creek are all right down the road from one another.  If they'd co-op and form one football team on Friday nights in the fall it would certainly be a much better product.  

The same holds true for the Antioch kids who could be playing at Cane Ridge on Friday nights.

East Nashville and Stratford could return to the way it once was and their kids could play on one football team.  

If the TSSAA already allows it without penalizing one school then why wouldn't they do so across the entire district.   Think about how much better and more competitive the football would be across MNPS if this were the case.  

East Nashville co op with lead academy, Antioch co op with independence academy, Glencliff co op with valor academy, hillsboro co op with big picture high school, hillwood co op with hume-fogg, Maplewood co op with kipp. So the bottom half teams you mentioned does co op too. You can't hit PC enrollment for maybe 8 players from MLK. Trust me if they could TSSAA would've already. Especially after so many teams have turned us in!!!

12 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

East Nashville co op with lead academy, Antioch co op with independence academy, Glencliff co op with valor academy, hillsboro co op with big picture high school, hillwood co op with hume-fogg, Maplewood co op with kipp. So the bottom half teams you mentioned does co op too. You can't hit PC enrollment for maybe 8 players from MLK. Trust me if they could TSSAA would've already. Especially after so many teams have turned us in!!!

Hey I'm not throwing shade.  If it's not against the rules I say go for it.  Stratford did it with East Literature for years.  I get it.  If Metro wants to consistently on a year in/year out basis compete at the top in football they have to find a way to maximize their resources and this would definitely be something to explore.  MNPS does not need 13-14 football playing schools when only 4-5 of them are competitive.  So much talent slips through the cracks and is never identified because some of the programs are just that terrible.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Hey I'm not throwing shade.  If it's not against the rules I say go for it.  Stratford did it with East Literature for years.  I get it.  If Metro wants to consistently on a year in/year out basis compete at the top in football they have to find a way to maximize their resources and this would definitely be something to explore.  MNPS does not need 13-14 football playing schools when only 4-5 of them are competitive.  So much talent slips through the cracks and is never identified because some of the programs are just that terrible.  

Wouldn’t less teams promote less players actually playing though?  Not all players are going to be talented and produce big for their teams.  Some kids just need the direction and team unity.  Look at Glencliff last year that went winless but fought for the right to just play ball.  Not every team is going to be a winner.  

Sad to hear about Coach Waite over at East.  Anyone know what happened specifically? 

Not to change subject entirely, but what is going on with Gore at McGavock.  He told everyone (coaches, friends, etc) he was leaving this year but is 3 months into 2020 and he's still there.  I'm afraid his stock value as a HC has gone way down the last few years, with a run of bad seasons.  Principal also contemplating retiring soon also.  

Nevertheless, the metro carousel keeps on moving...It's time they (All of metro) hire from outside the district.   IMO