William Blount at Dobyns Bennett

The mercy rule in football IS A JOKE.  No one has time to put anyone in.  The clock was running after a TD was scored for goodness sake.  Then I love it when the officials confer for 2 minutes about something and the clock just keeps on ticking.  So what if a team loses 66-0 versus 45-7.  It is still a beatdown.  I thought the game was "for the kids."  It is very hard to reach a 35 point lead in basketball.  It is not in football.  It needs to be 49 minimum.  Parents pay money to see their kids play in the second half of blowouts.  The only people who like the mercy rule are the officials.  TSSAA needs to rethink this. 

And as far as Friday night's contest, the athleticism of Alcoa is remarkable.  Easy 14-1 State championship with their only loss to, of course, Maryville.  Same ole story...different year.

BORING..........If NCAA football was like Tennessee High School football, not many people would care to watch.  Same teams in state championship every year.  Absolutely NO PARITY.  It reminds me of NCAA Women's Basketball in the 1980's.  Every game was predictable.

I have to go because lunch is over but I am going to start a different thread discussing this tonight.  A possible solution to make high school football more entertaining.

And, for the record, Alcoa could beat Loudon 242-0 if they wanted.  These two teams should not be playing.  That is dumb.

I think it would be better if the Mercy rule was started in the 4th quarter. I agree I don't like it starting in the 2nd or 3rd quarter.

As far as boring, I disagree. Attendance is up from 20 years ago and the now have HS football on TV every week which didn't happen 20 yrs ago and the wouldn't be doing that if people weren't watching. Pilot wouldn't have donated all of thatmoney to have their logo on the fields if people thought it was boring and weren't watching.

Loudon has won state championships and beat a 6A team a couple of years ago. Let them play.

Loudon is a 3A school, Seymour is a 4A school (I think). I don't expect much from Cleveland this year . How did WB do against CC?

Regardless, Cleveland and Seymour are 2-0. WB lost to Campbell Co 4-2 in the scrimmage, but that was the scrimmage where the starting QB and RB didnt play and a freshman was starting at QB.

Remember  when "everybody" said Maryville couldn't compete with the ORs and Farraguts if they moved up?  LOL

Maybe everyone should focus on getting better rather than saying its unfair for a 2A school to playing teams in a 3A region.

I wasn't one of those. I can honestly say I thought Maryville would still be great when they moved up. You don't dominate 4A, 3A, or any A for that matter unless you're very very good. 

For wb, it doesn't matter what class Alcoa is in. They should play every year.

I agree. Cross county rivals should play. If a 5A or 6A school thinks about running from a 2A county rival, then administration needs to take a good look at the poor example they would be setting for their students.