Happy Valley

EHSTrack06

So what's happening on the hill over there? 2014 they score 152 points all season. 2015 they score 409 points all season and this year in just 4 games they have scored 236 points. I understand they dropped to 2A after 2014 but is the gap between 3A and 2A that big or did they improve that much? If HV is for real this would have been a great year for them to be in 3A as they could handle most of the teams in Elizabethton's conference

So what's happening on the hill over there? 2014 they score 152 points all season. 2015 they score 409 points all season and this year in just 4 games they have scored 236 points. I understand they dropped to 2A after 2014 but is the gap between 3A and 2A that big or did they improve that much? If HV is for real this would have been a great year for them to be in 3A as they could handle most of the teams in Elizabethton's conference

They are looking like the real deal right now!

To be totally honest with you, as someone who has played while Larry Shively was head coach (even the first year, when we almost beat Elizabethton), the difference in HV football is that Coach Jarrett took over last season.  He had coached me as an assistant coach in middle school and high school and had always been phenomenal.  Coach Justin Cruz who coach the offensive and defensive line in 2010 and 2011 seasons, in my opinion, was also phenomenal, but left after the 2011 season.  Our first year with Shively, in which we did pretty well, he followed his assistant's advice and let them be coaches of their respective groups pretty well.  throughout the season, he let the team's success get to his head.  By the second season, he had an ego that wouldn't allow him to really listen to the other coaches.  Offseason workouts only got weaker. During a few offseason workouts, he would end the workouts with a mile run, but while the coming up freshmen were still running them, he would end practice, having the rest of the team breakdown.  Without getting into more detail, I'm sure you can see that what started out as a great coach (via having great assistants) turned into having a coach who believed only in himself.  Fast forward a few years, Larry Shively resigned from the team.  Last season was Jarrett's first season as coach, and though it was fairly unimpressive, it was a step up from the year before.  However, this season has been very impressive.  Even knowing how good a coach Jarrett was by playing under him, I am still impressed that he has turned the team around that quickly.  So, I don't think it was necessarily the athletes on the team, but the coaches that had been at HV.  

They would destroy the teams in Elizabethton,s conference. Region 1 2a is better top to bottom than Region 1 3a. Etown is the exception but  3 of the 2a schools would  hang in there with um.

To be totally honest with you, as someone who has played while Larry Shively was head coach (even the first year, when we almost beat Elizabethton), the difference in HV football is that Coach Jarrett took over last season.  He had coached me as an assistant coach in middle school and high school and had always been phenomenal.  Coach Justin Cruz who coach the offensive and defensive line in 2010 and 2011 seasons, in my opinion, was also phenomenal, but left after the 2011 season.  Our first year with Shively, in which we did pretty well, he followed his assistant's advice and let them be coaches of their respective groups pretty well.  throughout the season, he let the team's success get to his head.  By the second season, he had an ego that wouldn't allow him to really listen to the other coaches.  Offseason workouts only got weaker. During a few offseason workouts, he would end the workouts with a mile run, but while the coming up freshmen were still running them, he would end practice, having the rest of the team breakdown.  Without getting into more detail, I'm sure you can see that what started out as a great coach (via having great assistants) turned into having a coach who believed only in himself.  Fast forward a few years, Larry Shively resigned from the team.  Last season was Jarrett's first season as coach, and though it was fairly unimpressive, it was a step up from the year before.  However, this season has been very impressive.  Even knowing how good a coach Jarrett was by playing under him, I am still impressed that he has turned the team around that quickly.  So, I don't think it was necessarily the athletes on the team, but the coaches that had been at HV.  

A lot of truth in that 94; I had a son play under that regime and worked endless off season hours with Coach Cruze only to be threatened that if he and other HV players were working off-season with Cruze they would not get playing time. I went to the "then head coach" and explained to him that my son was working hard to help better his program and he needed the extra training to keep up with the more athletic linemen. I was assured it would not affect my son. It wasn't till Coach Jarrett took over that he earned a starting spot. I now have a son that plays under Jarrett and with the exception of Coach Ferrell, it is a whole new coaching staff. Coach Jarrett has found a way to get the most and full potential of every player he puts on the field. I'm not sure that this is the year that we beat Hampton or not; but I know we have a better shot at it this year due to the fact that we have a coach(s) that understand are willing to use multiple assets at different skill levels. Looking forward to this game, have a lot of friends on the Dawgs and there is a lot of respect between both teams. 

A lot of truth in that 94; I had a son play under that regime and worked endless off season hours with Coach Cruze only to be threatened that if he and other HV players were working off-season with Cruze they would not get playing time. I went to the "then head coach" and explained to him that my son was working hard to help better his program and he needed the extra training to keep up with the more athletic linemen. I was assured it would not affect my son. It wasn't till Coach Jarrett took over that he earned a starting spot. I now have a son that plays under Jarrett and with the exception of Coach Ferrell, it is a whole new coaching staff. Coach Jarrett has found a way to get the most and full potential of every player he puts on the field. I'm not sure that this is the year that we beat Hampton or not; but I know we have a better shot at it this year due to the fact that we have a coach(s) that understand are willing to use multiple assets at different skill levels. Looking forward to this game, have a lot of friends on the Dawgs and there is a lot of respect between both teams. 

A lot of animosity too.  I'd say it will be an all out war when they play