What's considered too young for contact football?

PiRaTe._.MiKe

Are 4 and 5 year olds too young for contact football? Our county allows them at this age but curious about other counties, especially those with long traditions. I don't have a problem with it myself. I know Knox Co makes you play flag football first at age 6 then contact starting at 7. Thoughts?

Edited by PiRaTe._.MiKe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are 4 and 5 year olds too young for contact football? Our county allows them at this age but curious about other counties, especially those with long traditions. I don't have a problem with it myself. I know Knox Co makes you play flag football first at age 6 then contact starting at 7. Thoughts?

Our league which consist of WC, Cwood, Lawrence Co, Mount Pleasant and Giles Co starts at four years old. I think they more likely to get hurt when they get older than when they're young.

Good point pujo.LC lost a young man in high school a few years back playing flag and was hit in the head and passed away.

I hated it when my oldest played flag,he was one of the go getters and was on a collision coarse every play. I'm glad we done away with flag. You teach kids to reach and then you have to reteach it. Break down ,get you're head across and make a tackle.

I personally don't think there is a right or wrong age to start tackle football. You risk injury in both. Its the parents of the children that need to make that decision. The big thing in both flag and tackle is teaching proper fundamentals. Coaches in the youth ages need to remember it's not a win at all cost thing. Its about teaching the game of football correctly.

I personally don't think there is a right or wrong age to start tackle football. You risk injury in both. Its the parents of the children that need to make that decision. The big thing in both flag and tackle is teaching proper fundamentals. Coaches in the youth ages need to remember it's not a win at all cost thing. Its about teaching the game of football correctly.

This is our mentality.Take advantage of their youth and ability to learn and teach!The winning will come after learning HOW!