GCA @ Wartburg Central

BarneySox2007

How do they get away with it so easy? There are several area schools really hurting from it. Oakdale (especially) OS and Wartburg are all really struggling this year when Coalfield has pieced together a pretty good team. But less than half of their starters have grown up there??

The same could be said for Harriman this year. The kids actually move to coalfield or have went there since elementary/middle school. Coalfield is the only program in the county to have continued success so they don't have to recruit as the better athletes in the county want to go somewhere they can win and receive good coaching. Edited by TheMan2015

The same could be said for Harriman this year. The kids actually move to coalfield or have went there since elementary/middle school. Coalfield is the only program in the county to have continued success so they don't have to recruit as the better athletes in the county want to go somewhere they can win and receive good coaching.

I don't hold Coalfield at fault. It is what it is and no one is gonna turn a good player away.. I do think the Lowe situation was a tad shady.

Completely agree with this. It's cyclical, too. Sometimes the gene pool just isn't what it was during a school's hey-day, but that changes over time. A lot of these dynasty style teams that compete year in and year out just have a favorable set up right now. Eventually, they all stumble a little. 

Heck, Wartburg was 9-3 six years ago and went to the state quarterfinals. I just thing we have to accept that every team is going to have some down years, especially at the local level where schools can't draw as many from the community as other places. 

Putting them all together won't alleviate that. It will just let them beat up on each other and never really improve. 

But it's okay to have six classes based on enrollment and even with that everyone gets on here and argues like cats and dogs because one did something the other didn't. Just thinking of a better plan as to go completely through high school and lose every game you played. Look at Union County, I would bet somewhere out there that there are midget league teams that could beat them. I look for them to cancel football after this year and see a bunch of others follow.

Edited by BarneySox2007

I don't hold Coalfield at fault. It is what it is and no one is gonna turn a good player away.. I do think the Lowe situation was a tad shady.

From my understanding he was leaving Oakdale no matter what but I can see where people see it as shady. If he would've went to Wartburg, Sunbright, or even Harriman no one would've been upset.

The same could be said for Harriman this year. The kids actually move to coalfield or have went there since elementary/middle school. Coalfield is the only program in the county to have continued success so they don't have to recruit as the better athletes in the county want to go somewhere they can win and receive good coaching.

I am talking about non stop 24/7. Heck we ain't even that good at it. That's why we lost basketball coaches over it a few years back. I'm actually glad they are gone but most years the Harriman team you play is from here. We don't have 8 of 11 starters on defense from other places year in and year out.

But it's okay to have six classes based on enrollment and even with that everyone gets on here and argues like cats and dogs because one did something the other didn't. Just thinking of a better plan as to go completely through high school and lose every game you played. Look at Union County, I would bet somewhere out there that there are midget league teams that could beat them. I look for them to cancel football after this year and see a bunch of others follow.

Listen, I'm sympathetic to them, but you're asking TSSAA to manage a moving target. Who gets the "1A" status there. Is it a certain number of losses? A number of players on the team? I think school enrollment wouldn't be a good gauge because then the smaller "1A" schools would complain because they're in with the bigger schools. And in some cases, maybe it's best to hang up the cleats for a program. I don't have a perfect or even close to right answer. I just don't know how manageable it would be is all I'm saying.

I am talking about non stop 24/7. Heck we ain't even that good at it. That's why we lost basketball coaches over it a few years back. I'm actually glad they are gone but most years the Harriman team you play is from here. We don't have 8 of 11 starters on defense from other places year in and year out.

This the first time in 5 or 6 years that Coalfield has had to rely on transfers to come in and play big roles. Most of our starters on offense and defense have went to coalfield since elementary or middle school. We just happened to have the best athlete in the county to transfer to us so it looks bad.

From my understanding he was leaving Oakdale no matter what but I can see where people see it as shady. If he would've went to Wartburg, Sunbright, or even Harriman no one would've been upset.

Just think he was aided in his decision. The dad wanted help for his son. Can't blame him for that but I do think it could be termed undue influence.

The only thing that will Waterbug of of their funk is community support and steady coaching that is going to stay in place for awhile. It's my understanding from a very good source Davis didn't watch to come back to coach but no one was either qualified or wanted the job daddy ball maybe?

Tennessee has 2 many state championships already only need 5 in my opinion 3 public 2 private financial aid and non aid. Just my two cents

In all honesty, Rockwood has had more transfers than us overall each year. So in comparing to other schools in our area, we're definitely not at the top of receiving transfers. I don't mean to upset you Coalfield guys because I have stated I have the utmost respect for your program and Coach Henry, but I can't remember a year when the Jackets roster hasn't been highlighted by a transfer from somewhere. That's not necessarily your fault because people want to come where they can win, it's just an observed fact. I feel like it's almost every year you guys are getting decent talent out of Oliver Springs! It's like those boys in OS just grow up playing hoping to get a chance to play for the Jackets! 😉

This the first time in 5 or 6 years that Coalfield has had to rely on transfers to come in and play big roles. Most of our starters on offense and defense have went to coalfield since elementary or middle school. We just happened to have the best athlete in the county to transfer to us so it looks bad.

You speaking on transfers brings up a funny one I've got for you. Obviously as you know we beat Kingston this year in demanding fashion. One of the first commments that I heard more than multiple times was "they beat us with an illegal quarterback, he transferred from Lenoir City." I thought it kind of ironic that we went to Kingston last year with that "illegal quarterback and wide receiver" and they beat us and nobody says a word! First thing a loss comes and the excuse is made of illegal transfers and "recruiting". Of course that's a very small of portion of fanbases and no disrespect to Kingston as my family goes there. Moral of the story is this: transfers don't really matter when you're losing. Start having success with them and you'll instantly be bending the rules and recruiting. Just the typical fairweather fan that comes to the games on Friday and doesn't do a thing to keep up with the team and league any other day or time during the year.