East TN Coaching Changes

SGHSAlum93

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard nothing but good things about Lane, but I don't know much about him personally. Maybe he is what Clinton needs. A coach with no ties to Clinton?

In my opinion he is the best defensive coordinator in East Tennessee. He won a state championship at west a few years ago as the DC. I have talked to many coaches the past few weeks and its obvious that he is well respected. west had a terrible year, but it was because the offense couldn't score points. defense kept them in almost every game.

In my opinion he is the best defensive coordinator in East Tennessee. He won a state championship at west a few years ago as the DC. I have talked to many coaches the past few weeks and its obvious that he is well respected. west had a terrible year, but it was because the offense couldn't score points. defense kept them in almost every game.

Everybody knows I love defense! That is something Clinton has lacked since Cute Andy left.

Knox County Schools has some guidelines in place for head coaches of some sports involving certified and non-certified personnel.

As I understand it, there are waviers given in cases where applicants are very close to certification, but those have been few and far between and depended on just how close that certification is from being obtained.

Don't think Anderson County Schools has that requirement.

Sometimes it is about more than what some teacher scores on an observation. When a man has somewhat control over 15-20% of your male student population, that goes a heckuva long way. Not sure that Knox County understands that.

Sometimes it is about more than what some teacher scores on an observation. When a man has somewhat control over 15-20% of your male student population, that goes a heckuva long way. Not sure that Knox County understands that.

Like it or not, in the eyes of KCS, the primary function of a coach should be teacher first and coach second. That also explains the KCS supplemental salary structure for coaches.

When a man has somewhat control over 15-20% of your male student population, that goes a heckuva long way. 

You may not realize it, but you just made the point for Knox County's policy.  

As osunut said, these guys are teachers, first.  The fact that they have a big influence over some 100 young guys in the school is another reason they need to be IN the school building during the school day, and not just coaching them after school hours.  

I don't like a lot of what has happened within the Knox County Schools System - and particularly the policies of the former superintendent - but I have zero problem with head footaball coaches being certified personnel and being in the buildings in which they coach.  

As osunut said, these guys are teachers, first. The fact that they have a big influence over some 100 young guys in the school is another reason they need to be IN the school building during the school day, and not just coaching them after school hours.

I don't like a lot of what has happened within the Knox County Schools System - and particularly the policies of the former superintendent - but I have zero problem with head footaball coaches being certified personnel and being in the buildings in which they coach.

And if he is the right guy they can find a "spot" for him in the building until certification is attained. As long as he is working towards certification. It has occurred before.

As osunut said, these guys are teachers, first.  The fact that they have a big influence over some 100 young guys in the school is another reason they need to be IN the school building during the school day, and not just coaching them after school hours.  

I do not like that some schools hire non-certified folks to be a head coach.  I know I am in the minority though.