East TN Coaching Changes

SGHSAlum93

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that FOOTBALL coaches should absolutely be teachers first. I would say a large majority of their salary comes from their teaching position. now smaller sports like tennis, golf, and softball/baseball I don't think should have be in the school at all times. I know in Anderson county, ALL sports coaches also have some kind of position in the school.

I think that FOOTBALL coaches should absolutely be teachers first. I would say a large majority of their salary comes from their teaching position. now smaller sports like tennis, golf, and softball/baseball I don't think should have be in the school at all times. I know in Anderson county, ALL sports coaches also have some kind of position in the school.

Maybe true at clinton, but not AC.  Not all of our coaches work for the school system.  

It's not always practical, especially at small schools, to get the coach in the building because they may just not have a job opening there.  That doesn't really apply to Knox County, though.

TSSAA rules, unless they've changed them in the last couple of years, say that any Head Coach in football with less than 5 years of experience has to be a certified teacher.  He doesn't have to work at the school or even work as a teacher, but he needs to be certified.

What is West and Clinton's time frame?  Have someone in place before spring semester or sometime during the spring?

From what I am told by those I trust Clinton has their guy.  I would think that something will be announced well before Christmas break.  

West will likely be well in to January or February, given that the job just opened late last week and that Knox County requires that the job be posted for 5-10 days before any interviews can take place.  Normally in Knox County it's a 6 week or so minimum process.  

Edited by HTV

I don't like it either. I expect them to teach first.

Back in my day, coaches were teachers who were also school leaders. Some of them didn't get it done in the classroom, but a lot of them did. It seems like state testing and other academic requirements make it tough to try to do both successfully these days. I don't know how they do it in any sport.