Unaka at Greenback

orngnblk

We regret to inform you that Unaka High School will not be participating in the playoff game against Greenback High School scheduled for November 4, 2016.

Despite all actions from our coaches and administration, the team members will not play. The coaches are very upset concerning this action by our football team. After the game against Midway on October 28th, most of our players turned in their uniforms. The coaches tried to talk to them but they were not successful.

We held a meeting today and the football players signed a statement indicating their intention not to show up for this game"

Interested to know how many signed this statement...was this an action against the coach or they just decided they hated football?

Interested to know how many signed this statement...was this an action against the coach or they just decided they hated football?

Not sure, I imagine it was a number of things. The didn't like the coach and they were tired of getting blown out and being made fun of because of it. As hard as it has been to get players out at Unaka lately, imagine how hard it will be to get them out knowing they have a post season ban! Unfortunate situation we have. Maybe you were right earlier, maybe the administration wanted football done away with all together.
  • Upvote 1

It is disappointing that the kids don't want to play. However, Unaka lost last Friday to a 5-5 team (Midway) by a score of 71-0. Greenback beat Midway 48-12 three weeks ago. Yes, they should play. Yes, I understand why they don't want to.

I mean I understand them not wanting to play. I also understand them making a statement against the coach. But what they are doing could have implications that reach FAR beyond this football season. We are talking about a potential year long post season ban for all sports. The girls basketball team, softball team, and baseball team all have a legit shot to make it to sub-state this year.

I mean what are the football players going to say to the girls who bust their butts while wearing a Ranger uniform??

"Yeah, girls we KNOW what we are doing is going to keep you out of the post season, but we feel it is more important that we not get beat by 72 points again... Sorry about your luck."

I mean how does that conversation even go?

I mean I understand them not wanting to play. I also understand them making a statement against the coach. But what they are doing could have implications that reach FAR beyond this football season. We are talking about a potential year long post season ban for all sports. The girls basketball team, softball team, and baseball team all have a legit shot to make it to sub-state this year.

I mean what are the football players going to say to the girls who bust their butts while wearing a Ranger uniform??

"Yeah, girls we KNOW what we are doing is going to keep you out of the post season, but we feel it is more important that we not get beat by 72 points again... Sorry about your luck."

I mean how does that conversation even go?

this exactly. I understand I do. I went through 2 of the worst years imaganiable in basketball in my time at Unaka. Coach who was way beyond his time, wasted talent, no control in the locker room, got pummeled several times. Never once though did I give any thought to just quitting to spite the coach. The administration should and needs to be held accountable for letting to get this far yes. But I also wish the kids would see their decisions effect more than just theirselfs.