Unaka at Greenback

orngnblk

We can agree on that. As obsure as the punishment is, if it's written right there in the bylaws in black and white, you wouldn't think much can be done about it. I do find it odd that no one even checked or called down there to ask before the decision was made final though.

You wrote this as I was typing the other post. That's my point as well, the rules are what they are so if broken then the penalty should be applied. I realize there are stark contrasts between the two situations but when you get down to the nut cuttin' is about rule violations and subsequent punishments.

Teams would load up on weaker non region games and this would penalize teams in tougher regions, too.

I don't like anyone backing out but it probably won't happen often. If it does, just find the nearest fifth place finisher who wants to play.

They would try, but they already do that.  Everyone wants to load up on weaker non-region games because everyone wants as many wins as they can get, but there just aren't enough of those to go around.

This wouldn't penalize teams in tougher regions any more than it does now because, eventually, it would even out.  If you get 4th place at 1-9, your region is softer than a tough region where the 5th place team would have at least 4-5 wins.  It also helps make things a lot more equitable for schools who play in 5 team regions and are making it at 1-9 or 2-8 vs. teams who play in tough 8 or 9 team regions and are left on the outside looking in at 6-4.

A lot of states have "opt out" provisions in place for teams who are in Unaka's situation.  That's another way to look at this.  If a team in those states doesn't like their odds and doesn't want to travel or risk injuries just to be a sacrificial lamb, they can simply "opt out" and the state association looks to find the next best team to replace them.  That would also be sensible.

I don't like that Unaka's kids all quit like this, but they struggled to field a team at all this year.  You can't put that all on the coaches when they had a hard time even getting enough kids out to hold a practice. The attitude from posters on here who gripe about how much the team sucks, then say they would have never even tried to do anything about it when they were in school because the team sucked shows the culture of failure surrounding the team, which was there before Pink ever was coach.  Something's got to change up there.

Edited by BlueDevil58

From what I've heard, it may make sense to punish basketball there if the players quit to get a head start on basketball season, which has been hinted at in rumors I've heard.

The rumors that the basketball coaches at Unaka have been telling kids not to play football go back several years.

Whether there's any truth to those, I don't know, but Pink McKinney has publicly complained about it since he took over and it is odd that the school's best athletes all play basketball and have pretty recently won state there but play no other sports.

Take it up with the AD.- any AD at a small school who doesn't encourage multi sport athletes should be fired on the spot.

Seems there would be a better way of doing things balancing school size,geography, and looking closer at number of schools relatively close in size (like number 100-200, 1800-2000 etc) for classification, even if the classes don't all end the same size. Maybe even make prior success a small part of it. For postseason, more than just ordering 1-4, but some teams may not have a top schedule due to local money games being the priority, or simply no such teams around or willing to play.

From what I've heard, it may make sense to punish basketball there if the players quit to get a head start on basketball season, which has been hinted at in rumors I've heard.

The rumors that the basketball coaches at Unaka have been telling kids not to play football go back several years.

Whether there's any truth to those, I don't know, but Pink McKinney has publicly complained about it since he took over and it is odd that the school's best athletes all play basketball and have pretty recently won state there but play no other sports.

So what ?

Seems there would be a better way of doing things balancing school size,geography, and looking closer at number of schools relatively close in size (like number 100-200, 1800-2000 etc) for classification, even if the classes don't all end the same size. Maybe even make prior success a small part of it. For postseason, more than just ordering 1-4, but some teams may not have a top schedule due to local money games being the priority, or simply no such teams around or willing to play.

Stay 8 regions but just region champions make post season like they used to. Makes for 3 good round which is all we really have anyway. 2 problems though, T$$AA gets cut some gate and not every little Johnny gets a participation trophy.

We can agree on that. As obsure as the punishment is, if it's written right there in the bylaws in black and white, you wouldn't think much can be done about it. I do find it odd that no one even checked or called down there to ask before the decision was made final though.

I totally agree about that...I'd say all this was prearranged and I'm betting TSSAA withdraws the punishment