Unaka at Greenback

orngnblk

Did it make sense to punish all sports for 1 year at GCA over a boys basketball and football player? The rules should be the same for everyone, you shouldn't get special consideration just because your average loss was by 45.

That's like comparing apples to kangaroos. What happened at Grace was widespread corruption by adults in positions of power across multiple sports over an extended period of time. What happened at Unaka was 7 or 8 teenagers got together and decided to quit after their final regular season game. Not even remotely similar.

That's like comparing apples to kangaroos. What happened at Grace was widespread corruption by adults in positions of power across multiple sports over an extended period of time. What happened at Unaka was 7 or 8 teenagers got together and decided to quit after their final regular season game. Not even remotely similar.

You are wrong. What was found at Grace was 1 (ONE) football player that also played basketball to be in violation of the "tuition assistance" program. I've got all the documents and I've read them many times. We can go down this road if you want to, but you will not throw your garbage about widespread corruption out there without proof. It will be reputed with facts from the investigation by our great governing body.

The point the poster was making is that what happened with 1 (ONE, per the official documents) GCA male football player / basketball player resulted in implications on all sports, including girls sports. If the rule says you forfeit your basketball post season if you refuse to show for a playoff football game, TSSAA should hold to the rule. Kids can't make that decision, that's on the administration. Pathetic.

• Upvote 1

The TSSAA could easily fix this with a rule that finishing in the top 4 in the conference gets you in... unless you have a sub .500 record.

Allow the top seed from each district in regardless of record just to give each district representation (Cloudland was 4-6), but if a sub .500 team finishes in spots 2-4, give those spots to wild card teams, in order of record, across the state. If you put all the 5-5 teams in, the last spots would go to the 4-6 teams with the toughest schedules.

That way they still get their 16 first round playoff games and the games go to teams who earned a postseason and would actually want it.

It's painful that a team like Midway, which hammered Unaka 71-0 a week ago and finished 5-5 IIRC, is sitting at home for finishing 5th in a loaded conference while Unaka was 1-9 and got in despite not even wanting it.

Teams would load up on weaker non region games and this would penalize teams in tougher regions, too.

I don't like anyone backing out but it probably won't happen often. If it does, just find the nearest fifth place finisher who wants to play.

You are wrong. What was found at Grace was 1 (ONE) football player that also played basketball to be in violation of the "tuition assistance" program. I've got all the documents and I've read them many times. We can go down this road if you want to, but you will not throw your garbage about widespread corruption out there without proof. It will be reputed with facts from the investigation by our great governing body.

The point the poster was making is that what happened with 1 (ONE, per the official documents) GCA male football player / basketball player resulted in implications on all sports, including girls sports. If the rule says you forfeit your basketball post season if you refuse to show for a playoff football game, TSSAA should hold to the rule. Kids can't make that decision, that's on the administration. Pathetic.

FILTHY, RED COMMIE CHEATERS!

:P

PfffffffT....I busted Pride years ago and he was the first to stand up, admit, and speak the truth from GCA...still can't stand him, but he's usually straight up...

Although, I don't see Unaka and their situation being so similar....except that rules and rules and breaking them should result in consequences

Edited by uknoit2

PfffffffT....I busted Pride years ago and he was the first to stand up, admit, and speak the truth from GCA...still can't stand him, but he's usually straight up...

Although, I don't see Unaka and their situation being so similar....except that rules and rules and breaking them should result in consequences

We can agree on that. As obsure as the punishment is, if it's written right there in the bylaws in black and white, you wouldn't think much can be done about it. I do find it odd that no one even checked or called down there to ask before the decision was made final though.

Really, just a couple of kids huh, I'm hearing a lot of talk about this being a conspiracy to drop football or an attempt to funnel athletes to basketball from other sports. Sounds like there may be some corruption there as well. Plain and simple if they don't want to play in November that's fine but notify tssaa by the deadline, if you enter into a season playoff eligible then you are agreeing to abide by the rules. If you can't live up to your end then expect repercussions for your actions. Personally I hope they up the penalty, a basketball only suspension is not right in my mind, it should be all sports for 1 year ending week 15 of next football season. Life has consequences that come with decisions, we all know that, it looks like some folks that were only thinking of themselves have an opportunity to learn a valuable lesson for relatively cheap tuition. I assume we will agree to disagree on this subject.

I cant believe I'm doing this!!!! Cause I hate Grace but this is right! I'm sorry about the other teams at Unaka but if the rules state that all sports be ban then its time we quit raising quiters and make them pay for their choices. Be it the kids that made the decision or the administration. And I really don't know how they didn't know the rules before they sent the letter or the idiots that's running the school should have asked what they were before sending the letter.