TSSAA Makes Money While Schools Lose It

etcoach

Ohio has 7 divisions (with no public/private split). There are around 108 teams in each division; however, division I has 72 teams. For regular season play, the schools are broken up into "traditional" conferences (based on geography, in order to minimize travel). As a result, conferences often have teams from different divisions (for example, 6A and some 5A teams grouped together, not 6A and 1A/2A). Therefore, there are no automatic playoff qualifiers based on conference finish.

Playoff qualification is based on computer rankings (I created a prior thread that showed the OHSAA model, if it were applied here). Each division/classification is split into 4 geographic quads (NW, NE, SE, SW). Each quad qualifies 8 teams for the playoffs, for a total of 32 teams per division. The top four seeds in each quad get home field advantage for the first round. After that, teams play at neutral sites, in order to minimize travel. Quad winners qualify for the state semifinals, which are also played at a neutral site (to cut down on travel). The finals are played at Ohio Stadium in Columbus.

Edited by osunut2

Did they not for a while play the finals in the stadium where the professional soccer team in Columbus plays?  Seems to me like that stadium steated in the 35K range, if memory serves.   

I don't think they've ever played the championship games at Crew Stadium, although that stadium often acts as a neutral site for playoff games. They used to play the championship games in Ohio Stadium annually, until around 1990. Then they started playing half of the title games at the HOF in Canton (Fawcett Stadium) and the other half in Massillon (Paul Brown Stadium). They finally returned to Columbus a couple of years ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought back in the 90's, you didn't play side by side regions, meaning regions 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 4, 5 vs. 7, 6 vs 8. Thought they changed it so there wouldn't be as much travel with side by side competition, 1 - 2, 3 - 4, 5 - 6, 7 - 8.

If you cut back to 4 class's won't there be more travel and the size range would be much greater then now?

Better go look at how Georgia, Alabama, Miss. do their playoffs. Think I heard where 4 teams from each region in Georgia go to playoffs, just like Tn. But they send them in 4 different directions for playoffs and there association pays for there travel expenses. Don't know if that's true or not, maybe a rumor.

There was more travel in early playoffs previously. Sequatchie's second round game one season was South Greene. It mixed things up in some ways for the better. First round was normally the neighboring region/district.

Four classes don't seem to look too great on paper, would lead to very small districts or very large regions. Five would probably be a good fit.

Lots of money talk but it does take money especially for sports that dont generate much on their own. I don't see their books but I doubt there is much over the top spending as is implied on here.