Regions Announced: 1A

BoardHater71

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot of Huntingdon fans want to move to region 7 due to travel and overall better competition. No disrespect to Wayne County because they are one of the best 1A programs in the state but overall the competition would be better. I have no idea about Bruceton.

The only competition in region games the past two years for HHS and WC have been against each other, no disrespect taken.

I think this classification is actually better for middleton than being sent to memphis for a number of reasons:

1. in memphis they would have been in an 9 team region. This means that 4 of their home games every year would be against teams from memphis who bring no fans to the games. Gates would be awful. It also means that they couldn't schedule the teams from right across the mississippi line that usually bring in the biggest gates of the season.

2. 1a high school football in memphis is a disorganized mess. It the past two years middleton has had 5 scheduled games cancelled due to schools closing or not fielding a team after they had scheduled the games. Once they had to dress in a field because there was no one there to let them in a locker room when they arrived. at btw they had rocks thrown at their buses as they were leaving the game. Some of the coaches are almost impossible to get in contact with and many refuse to swap film.

3. The travel time really is not that much different. When you have to drive to downtown memphis in rush hour traffic on a bus it takes about an hour and 40 minutes from middleton. 15 more minutes to collinwood isn't that big of a deal. And it would only be 3 trips east per year as opposed to 4 trips into memphis.

4. I honestly think middleton can be competitive with a few of the teams in the bottom of region 6.

Most of these small town 1a schools will bring a good gate. Looking forward to meeting up with y'all next year

Well Jo Byrns is now an east TN team...never thought I'd say that.  However, it makes more sense to put JB in the east as opposed to the current region alignment.  Right now we have an entire Region 4 who has traditionally been in the west and 6 of 9 teams in Region 5 who have been an east team traditionally.  

I hate the travel times for JB but on a positive note, making it to the third round of the playoffs looks a lot easier than it has in the past.  I'm definitely not saying JB will be doing that anytime soon but IF JB had a good team (able to win region 4), history would say we'd have an easy time making it to round 3.  We'd meet up with South Pitt. in round 3 which doesn't look good but it'd be fun.

Republic high school concerns me.  Here's what I've found on them:  They are located in north Nashville (near the I-24/I-65 split) and it's made up of 4 different charter schools.  Their enrollment is 361 but from what I gather, that only includes 9th and 10th grade.  They started the school last year with 9th and each year they are adding another grade.  So that's about 175 students per grade and next year that would put them at 536 students and the following year at 711.  Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like they won't be in 1A very long (maybe too long for me).  Based on what I've found, they've played a JV schedule this year including games against Hendersonville and Hillsboro.  We'll see what happens there.

I really wish they had aligned the regions like they were years ago...oh well.  Someone mentioned JB playing Copper Basin...we actually scheduled and played them about 10-15 years ago.  I'd hate to see the travel time of a JB semifinal game.  It'llnever happen but it'd be funny to see JB have to travel 4 hours to Greenback for a semifinal game then travel about 30 minutes to Clarksville (Austin Peay) for a state championship game.  Neither will happen...JB isn't going to the semifinals and AP isn't getting the championship games (although AP is trying).  

Well Jo Byrns is now an east TN team...never thought I'd say that.  However, it makes more sense to put JB in the east as opposed to the current region alignment.  Right now we have an entire Region 4 who has traditionally been in the west and 6 of 9 teams in Region 5 who have been an east team traditionally.  

I hate the travel times for JB but on a positive note, making it to the third round of the playoffs looks a lot easier than it has in the past.  I'm definitely not saying JB will be doing that anytime soon but IF JB had a good team (able to win region 4), history would say we'd have an easy time making it to round 3.  We'd meet up with South Pitt. in round 3 which doesn't look good but it'd be fun.

Republic high school concerns me.  Here's what I've found on them:  They are located in north Nashville (near the I-24/I-65 split) and it's made up of 4 different charter schools.  Their enrollment is 361 but from what I gather, that only includes 9th and 10th grade.  They started the school last year with 9th and each year they are adding another grade.  So that's about 175 students per grade and next year that would put them at 536 students and the following year at 711.  Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like they won't be in 1A very long (maybe too long for me).  Based on what I've found, they've played a JV schedule this year including games against Hendersonville and Hillsboro.  We'll see what happens there.

I really wish they had aligned the regions like they were years ago...oh well.  Someone mentioned JB playing Copper Basin...we actually scheduled and played them about 10-15 years ago.  I'd hate to see the travel time of a JB semifinal game.  It'llnever happen but it'd be funny to see JB have to travel 4 hours to Greenback for a semifinal game then travel about 30 minutes to Clarksville (Austin Peay) for a state championship game.  Neither will happen...JB isn't going to the semifinals and AP isn't getting the championship games (although AP is trying).  

I am glad they put JB back in this Region!  JB and Monterey are having some barn burners last couple years and after this year i think its safe to say next years game will be another! For sure a game you will not want to miss after what was left at end of this years game! The only part i dread is the drive to JB ugh! U missed a good one Moto! It did get out of hand at end but it was all the emotions from seniors knowing it was over! As for the NEW school in Region i am glad you have studied up on them! Looks like they could be a force in a couple years! Thats ok cause 2017 is our Senior year! Good luck to you guys Moto!!!

The state office will continue to re-evaluate every member school's enrollment figures after two years during the four-year classification cycle. Schools which have a 20 percent decrease or increase in enrollment which causes them to move to another class are moved at that time.

On their school directory it shows they have an actual enrollment of 150 and have a classification enrollment of 600.

http://portal.tssaa.org/common/directory/detail.cfm?id=417

You are right!  In the next two years if they keep their growth under 73 students (432 enrolled) they will be in 1A regardless of their growth in year 3-4.  On the flip side if the students don't go/stay the doors may close before we have to worry about it.

The state office will continue to re-evaluate every member school's enrollment figures after two years during the four-year classification cycle. Schools which have a 20 percent decrease or increase in enrollment which causes them to move to another class are moved at that time.

On their school directory it shows they have an actual enrollment of 150 and have a classification enrollment of 600.

http://portal.tssaa.org/common/directory/detail.cfm?id=417

Yeah I knew about the re-evaluation and 20 percent rule.  I had no idea their actual enrollment was 150.  So I guess the 361 enrollment figure was a guess based on them adding an 11th and 12th grade over the next two years?  Where is the 600 enrollment number coming from?  Sounds like there's nothing to see here.  Davidson Academy is only 5 minutes away...

Yeah I knew about the re-evaluation and 20 percent rule.  I had no idea their actual enrollment was 150.  So I guess the 361 enrollment figure was a guess based on them adding an 11th and 12th grade over the next two years?  Where is the 600 enrollment number coming from?  Sounds like there's nothing to see here.  Davidson Academy is only 5 minutes away...

Your guess on the 150 and 600 is as good as mine.  

I am glad they put JB back in this Region!  JB and Monterey are having some barn burners last couple years and after this year i think its safe to say next years game will be another! For sure a game you will not want to miss after what was left at end of this years game! The only part i dread is the drive to JB ugh! U missed a good one Moto! It did get out of hand at end but it was all the emotions from seniors knowing it was over! As for the NEW school in Region i am glad you have studied up on them! Looks like they could be a force in a couple years! Thats ok cause 2017 is our Senior year! Good luck to you guys Moto!!!

I hear ya TALMAD.  Nothing against everybody but if I travel I'd prefer to go to the places I'm accustom to (and closer).  I don't mind going to Gordonsville but that's it!  You guys, clay, picket, RBS, I don't want to pay y'all a visit.  So for me, that's 4 games I year that I know I'm not going to watch.  In the old region we'd have McEwen, Clarksville Academy, & Houston Co. and I'd go to each one of those.  I don't have a kid playing, I'm just a fan and these region alignments don't work for me.

I hear ya TALMAD.  Nothing against everybody but if I travel I'd prefer to go to the places I'm accustom to (and closer).  I don't mind going to Gordonsville but that's it!  You guys, clay, picket, RBS, I don't want to pay y'all a visit.  So for me, that's 4 games I year that I know I'm not going to watch.  In the old region we'd have McEwen, Clarksville Academy, & Houston Co. and I'd go to each one of those.  I don't have a kid playing, I'm just a fan and these region alignments don't work for me.

I dont blame u! Well i will look you up when i get there next year! That will be our last meet because my youngest does not go to Monterey! Rumor has it we may lose our coach and if we do you wont see me or my son this year i dont believe!  He will be making a move for his senior year if Coach leaves! Either way i have enjoyed you guys!