My Take On The State Championships

BoardHater71

1A: It was a perfect start for Greenback jumping out to a 13-0 lead. Dresden was very dynamic offensively and once they got it going there was no way they were going to lose at this level of play.

2A: Trezevant was the better team and despite the fact that they continued to make things harder on themselves with foolish penalties they were able to overcome Marion Co. late (the injuries took a lot out of the late in the game).

3A: Alcoa jumped out to a lead early and Liberty put forth a great effort at the end of the first half/beginning of the second half. In the end though Alcoa just continues to prove they own this class.

4A: Memphis East was dominant in a surprising effort to me. Knoxville Central could not get anything whatsoever going offensively and in the end it was Memphis East who took their will and blew it open.

5A: Independence jumped up by 28 and it appeared to be headed toward a 35 point lead going into halftime. A mistake followed by a score before the intermission gave life to Farragut and in the second half they capitalized on countless Independence mistakes and cashed them all in for back breaking scores and completed one of the best comebacks in state history.

6A: Oakland had a promising start thanks to field position and silly mistakes. They built a 9-0 lead and it appeared for 3+ quarters like they would cruise to a victory. In the end Whitehaven showed tremendous heart and got off the deck and rallied to win a real defensive battle.

Edited by howdoitknow

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll share some thoughts of mine if I may.

1A:  Dresden was about a complete team as I've seen this year. The combination of Winn and Yates is as good as any level of high school football that I can remember.  Greenback just way too many mistakes and things started to snowball right before the half and on throughout the 2nd half. Couldn't be happier for Coach Rang and his family. Dresden's first gold ball and Greenback with 2 straight silver.

2A:  Trezevant is hard to watch at times but exciting at the same time if that is even possible. I remember a great story last year of pastors in the Frayser community that raised funds to help get the team to Cookeville.  Another great story came out of this game as well with Trezevant's Tristian Jackson.  A story that should go national. So all you media people out there need to push this story to the forefront. Trezevant back to back gold and Marion with a three-peat silver.

3A: Alcoa. What can you say?  Obviously, Alcoa just being Alcoa. They'll grind you up and spit you out only to grind some more. Nothing fancy. Just straight grind. How much bling does that make Alcoa now?  15 gold?  I know it's enough to make Mr T look like he shops at yard sales for second hand costume jewelry.

4A: Didn't watch much of this game at all. No disrespect to either team. I took a few breaks after the 2A game and only caught parts of the match ups. I will say I was surprised a bit that Central made it out of the East bracket. And say congrats to both teams.

5A: Farragut and Indy.  Instant classic. Just an unbelievable comeback. Or was it a monumental meltdown?  Probably both. You can't have one without the other can you?  Hardin was outstanding on both sides of the ball for the Admirals. Farragut wins their first gold ball and Indy brought home silver to go along with the gold from last year.

6A: Whitehaven.  Great defensive game throughout. The Tigers hung around long enough to pull off the comeback scoring their first TD almost mid way thru the last quarter after converting on a 4th and 16.  I thought Oakland may have tried the shift a little too much on offense and defense. With the Patriots up 9-0 and driving they had 2 men on offense shift from the left to the right side of the line. Looked like a good shift to me as both players were not set in their stance. Refs called illegal shift and it cost them 5 huge yards on the drive they couldn't afford to give up while deep in Tigers territory. The point I'm getting at is the shift gimmicks throughout the game to draw the Tigers offsides worked great but it cost Oakland big time twice I believe. Once on that drive that stalled a great scoring opportunity and once again on defense when it looked as though they were caught in the middle of a shift on defense when Mosby broke off a long run on 2nd and long after getting Whitehaven to jump the play before on offense. That run set up the winning TD. Too many gimmicks and may have just out coached yourselves. Sorry if that seems harsh but its just my take and nothing more.  Congrats to Oakland for getting past Mairvul and collecting silver and Whitehaven on 2 gold in 5 years I believe.

Edited by Southtowner

With new bids being accepted in the coming months I wouldn't mind seeing it relocated to another venue. I believe Finley Stadium would be a fantastic setting, but I'm sure they wouldn't consider that geographically centered and we know how the TSSAA feels about geographic location.

The TSSAA’s Board of Control will award the bid at its Jan. 12 meeting.

Great evaluation and I might add that the 6a game was really sloppy,just a ton of mistakes by both squads.

Whitehaven has some big ol boys.  Oakland seemed stagnant throughout the game. Never could get any rhythm going. And the constant shifts they would go into kept stalling the game and therefore I think it hurt them most in the long run.  I thought they were better than what they showed but I didn't see it. Some say their athletes were never given much of an opportunity to get the ball in space and the wingt is not the right approach for 6A football.  I got to give Whitehaven credit for hanging around then making those 2 big plays down the stretch when they had no more room for error or much time remaining.