knox west next head coach

Knoxtastic

A coach should be a teacher and teach at a school, hopefully where he coaches. And the coaching supplement should be larger, to compensate for the hours they put in doing their coaching duties. Coaches don't really get paid much for the hours they put in.

Maybe HTV can answer the question of How much is a head coach's supplement? Just asking 

I understand that the norm is that coaches are also teachers, but is that really neccessary? Why cant schools just pay a decent salary comparable to a teachers and allow a coach to just do what they do best? Which is coach. HTV made the argument that coaches should be present in the building during the school day. Who says that has to entail teaching? Why cant a coach just be game planning, watching film, and dealing with the discipline and academic problems of their players during the school day? This is just me thinking out loud. I cant help but wonder how many potential great coaches are being pushed away because they have no desire to teach algebra but still know how to connect with kids and love the game.

I have pondered this myself. I wonder if there is anyone on staff that could take over the roll of OC or if he would have to find someone to bring in.

If Lane were to get the job, there has to be someone still on staff who was apart of the championship teams that can get the offense back to that level. I know West has had great running backs before. Is that coach still there, you'd think he would have a pretty good idea of what to do offensively?

Edited by adalum96

A coach should be a teacher and teach at a school, hopefully where he coaches. And the coaching supplement should be larger, to compensate for the hours they put in doing their coaching duties. Coaches don't really get paid much for the hours they put in.

Maybe HTV can answer the question of How much is a head coach's supplement? Just asking 

The supplemental pay info (along with the standard pay scale) is public record and usually posted annually on the KCS website. I'll try to dig it up and link it.

I understand that the norm is that coaches are also teachers, but is that really neccessary? Why cant schools just pay a decent salary comparable to a teachers and allow a coach to just do what they do best? Which is coach. HTV made the argument that coaches should be present in the building during the school day. Who says that has to entail teaching? Why cant a coach just be game planning, watching film, and dealing with the discipline and academic problems of their players during the school day? This is just me thinking out loud. I cant help but wonder how many potential great coaches are being pushed away because they have no desire to teach algebra but still know how to connect with kids and love the game.

No offense Govs, but as a taxpayer, I'm not willing to pay someone a teacher's salary or more solely to coach football (or any other sport). Especially when we can't even compensate our teachers appropriately.

Edited by osunut2

Here's the Knox County Schools pay scale, and it includes supplements.  

A couple of points:

1.  A few years back Knox County changed its policy with booster clubs.  Knox County now audits all booster club accounts, which has cut out a lot of the "off the books" monies going out.  Expenditures have to be legit now.

2.  Knox County doesn't allow booster clubs to supplement coaches pay.  Being caught doing that is a punishable, and even firable, offense.  Thought being that if one Knox County Schools System school can't do it, none can.  Mixed feelings on that one, but that is the policy.  

And on the pay scale, it's not rocket surgery.  This is the scale, this is what teachers get paid and what supplements for coaching, band, and other extras are: 

http://knoxschools.org/Page/3615

Wasn't my argument, but Knox County's policy.  

As Nut said, with budgetary issues the way they are it would be hard to justify having "coaches only" in Knox County.  If the coaches aren't teaching that puts more of a classroom load on those who are teachers, or it requires more teachers being hired to take up that slack, and there's just not enough money in the budget to do that.  

Bottom line - they are teachers first.  Period.  Dot.  Period.  

Edited by HTV

Here's the Knox County Schools pay scale, and it includes supplements.

A couple of points:

1. A few years back Knox County changed its policy with booster clubs. Knox County now audits all booster club accounts, which has cut out a lot of the "off the books" monies going out. Expenditures have to be legit now.

2. Knox County doesn't allow booster clubs to supplement coaches pay. Being caught doing that is a punishable, and even firable, offense. Thought being that if one Knox County Schools System school can't do it, none can. Mixed feelings on that one, but that is the policy.

And on the pay scale, it's not rocket surgery. This is the scale, this is what teachers get paid and what supplements for coaching, band, and other extras are:

http://knoxschools.org/Page/3615

You're exactly right about the money thing. If schools could "throw the book at them" and pay coaches through boosters and stuff like that it would seem as if Farragut and some of the private schools would have a huge advantage over teams like Austin East, Fulton and schools like that.

You're exactly right about the money thing. If schools could "throw the book at them" and pay coaches through boosters and stuff like that it would seem as if Farragut and some of the private schools would have a huge advantage over teams like Austin East, Fulton and schools like that.

That's also why none of the schools installed artificial turf until the Pilot/Flying J gift provided it for all 14 football playing publics in Knox County.  There are some schools that have the ability to raise the money to do it, and others that don't.  Again, the "if all can't have it, nobody can have it" theory was in play.  

And once again, mixed feelings on that, but it was and still is the thought process being used on a lot of issue. 

I teach in Knox County and I agree with you about the low pay, the "who you know" mentality and very little if any administrative support, but the one thing I disagree with is your statement about teaching a full slate of class. Most Knox County Schools are on the block system so you'll teach 3-4 classes a day, I mean this isn't college the first priority is to educate the kids.

Yeah, I know knox teachers teach 3 classes a day and get one plan.  Some schools will atleast give the coach 4th plan during the season.  I have no problem with the coach teaching 3 classes a day.  I'm just saying outside of Knox County, I know of one situation where the coach teaches 2 gym classes and is done by 11:00 and another where the head coach teaches zero classes.  I'm not judging right or wrong, that's just how it is.  Which sometimes makes it harder for Knox County to hire top notch head coaches.

HTV. rocket science + brain surgery = rocket surgery or brain science.

either one

West has a guy on staff that would be a good OC.  And if Lane is hired, I think he will be loyal to his long time colleague, plus West is not in a position to create a teaching position for an OC, 

Edited by oridgecat