Quarles leaving Maryville

GC_Quincy

This is the deal, the same way Alabama passed on a more qualified Sly Croom for Mike Shula average coaching self I am wondering out loud would the Maryville Red Rebels, with their appreciation for the Confederate Flag, be willing to let a Brother lead their program? Knowing PEOPLE from East TN the way I know them I think this is a fair question that the good people in that area can answer without getting all bent out of shape. This society is what it is. Let's stop trying to pretend that the BlackHavenSenator is making up red herrings. So if you, RW87, or anyone else that knows the program and its ins and outs would like to speak on what I'm wondering, please do, I'd love to hear your opinion, IF NOT, just skip my reasonable thoughts. It's no big deal but tadvols (sp?) put it out there and I'm willing to follow up with some questions. Thanks in advance   :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  

I don't think that Maryville is as backwards and racist as you think it is.  Yes, our fans have an appreciation for the confederate flag, but to all of us who are at those games, that flag has everything to do with school pride and nothing to do with the actual confederacy or the practices of the Antebellum South.  This symbol can understandably be offensive and the Maryville administration has taken steps to reduce this image at their sporting events.  I have said for years that it would be good to adjust the confederate flag to be red and black instead of red and blue.  I don't know if this will be a big enough change to ease the minds of those who might be offended, but it would at least reflect more on school pride than the confederate flag.  

I think Maryville fans are looking for two things in a coach:  

1.  What kind of a person is he?  GQ set the bar extremely high in terms of being a role model for these young men, and Maryville fans want to continue to have a head coach who is going to be an excellent role model and who will teach their children to excel as men in life.

2.  What resume does this coach have?  What has this coach done to warrant being offered this position?  Many would also add that they would like someone who was either coached or who has been an assistant of GQ so his formula is continued.  So, I think that some coaches who have a connection to Maryville may be favored, but that doesn't mean that many people would be against others. 

I don't think race will play any factor on supporting a new coach at all.  If the new head coach is a great role model and has a great resume then Maryville fans will give him a chance even if his skin is blue.  Now, you may have some racist people out there that don't like it, but those people aren't really your every Friday at the football game Maryville fans.  At least none that I have ever experienced.