Alcoa 2017 - The F5 Tornadoes Making H15TORY!

BCsportsfan

6 hours ago, REBELRON said:

Rankin is right though. You wouldn't believe how many Alcoa fans have told me they want Rankin fired.  A bunch of them. I tell them they are crazy.  Yes Alcoa won titles before Rankin got there. But! Under Jon Reid they were never a threat to beat Maryville. Maryville pounded Alcoa those years. The Alcoa vs Maryville game in 2006 told me all I needed to know. I thought Maryville would kill Alcoa in 2006. Brandon Warren and Dustin Lindsey were gone.  In 2006 after Rankin got there they got a lot better. Alcoa is much more physical than they used to be.

You're absolutely right. Alcoa does have players, tradition,and resources but Alcoa wouldn't be what they are today without GR.. especially not trying to take the lead for most gold balls

12 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

You're absolutely right. Alcoa does have players, tradition,and resources but Alcoa wouldn't be what they are today without GR.. especially not trying to take the lead for most gold balls

Agreed!  8 titles (9 appearances) in 11 years is more than anyone could hope for.  They are only 10 points away from 11 titles in 11 years under Rankin.  

15 hours ago, REBELRON said:

Rankin is right though. You wouldn't believe how many Alcoa fans have told me they want Rankin fired.  A bunch of them. I tell them they are crazy.  Yes Alcoa won titles before Rankin got there. But! Under Jon Reid they were never a threat to beat Maryville. Maryville pounded Alcoa those years. The Alcoa vs Maryville game in 2006 told me all I needed to know. I thought Maryville would kill Alcoa in 2006. Brandon Warren and Dustin Lindsey were gone.  In 2006 after Rankin got there they got a lot better. Alcoa is much more physical than they used to be.

The physicality and discipline in the Rankin years are the big differences between most Alcoa teams in the past and the current ones.

Yes, Alcoa has always had talent. But look at the numbers. In 24 years, from 1980 to 2003, Alcoa won 2 state championships. In Rankin's 11 years they have won 8 state championships.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:04 PM, REBELRON said:

That 2006 team when all said and done was better than the 2004 and 2005 team. Hard to argue with Randall Cobb at QB, Shivdecker and Toney at RB.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:37 AM, 32hammer said:

Yes, Alcoa has always had talent. But look at the numbers. In 24 years, from 1980 to 2003, Alcoa won 2 state championships. In Rankin's 11 years they have won 8 state championships.

Alcoa won 3 State Championships (2000,2004,2005) in 5 years before Coach Rankin arrived in 2006. All the Asst. Coaches stayed when Coach Rankin arrived, And success has continued. Coach Nix has been Defensive Coordinator on the 2004 to current teams. That 10 State Championships he has been part of at Alcoa.

The best part about Rankin (and Nix) as it relates to defense is their ability to adapt the scheme to the players.  Some years I've watched Alcoa with smaller/faster players play a 3-4/50 and rely on movement.  Other years I've watched them play a 4-3 with bigger linemen and just line up and whip tail.  

In their last 10 championship game appearances they've allowed a total of 73 points combined in 10 contests:

2016:  12 (Liberty)

2015:  0 (CPA)

2014:  7 (CPA)

2013:  7 (CPA)

2010:  14 (Goodpasture)

2009:  0 (Milan)

2008:  14 (Milan)

2007:  3 (Goodpasture)

2006:  3 (Goodpasture)

2005:  13 (Goodpasture)

When you play in 10 Blue Cross Bowls and your points per game allowed average is 7.3 you're going to collect a lot of Gold Balls at the end of the day.  

Forget Blue Cross Bowl averages.  If you told any coach in the state that his team was only going to allow a total of 73 points in a 10 game season this upcoming campaign you wouldn't find a single one who'd pass up that deal.

18 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

The best part about Rankin (and Nix) as it relates to defense is their ability to adapt the scheme to the players.  Some years I've watched Alcoa with smaller/faster players play a 3-4/50 and rely on movement.  Other years I've watched them play a 4-3 with bigger linemen and just line up and whip tail.  

In their last 10 championship game appearances they've allowed a total of 73 points combined in 10 contests:

2016:  12 (Liberty)

2015:  0 (CPA)

2014:  7 (CPA)

2013:  7 (CPA)

2010:  14 (Goodpasture)

2009:  0 (Milan)

2008:  14 (Milan)

2007:  3 (Goodpasture)

2006:  3 (Goodpasture)

2005:  13 (Goodpasture)

When you play in 10 Blue Cross Bowls and your points per game allowed average is 7.3 you're going to collect a lot of Gold Balls at the end of the day.  

Forget Blue Cross Bowl averages.  If you told any coach in the state that his team was only going to allow a total of 73 points in a 10 game season this upcoming campaign you wouldn't find a single one who'd pass up that deal.

Coach Nix and Coach Gamble do a great job with the Defense. 

Heard some rumors about some talented players from Fulton and Carter moving into Alcoa?

On 7/2/2017 at 3:41 PM, howdoitknow said:

The young man from Fulton plays receiver.  He is a youngster and has a chance to be special.  Fulton's "best receiver" recently tore his ACL/MCL and will miss the 2017 season.  

I have no clue about the young man from Carter.  

Carter player is a QB....