Offishull Catholick att Mairvul thread

STARSNBARS

36 minutes ago, smoltz said:

IIs it true, the "WHITE HAT" for this game was Barry Mathis? If true, this would be completely unethical. I hear he is not only a very loyal Maryville alum, but he was also a star QB for Maryville back in the day. I have also heard 2 other Maryville grads were on that crew.

I know there is no way to make sure all Friday night football crews are perfectly matched up and assigned so nobody calls a game for their former high school. I do think it is a MAJOR difference and a serous conflict of interest IF the "WHITE HAT" was an alumni and former star player for a team in a game that featured the 2 top ranked teams in this area. This should never happen.

You can't throw flags on 5 plays that resulted in 1st downs, overlook an intentional grounding, call a pass that short hops the receiver a catch, have a line judge call holding on a player that didn't even make contact with a defender, and have all of these penalties go against one team and all in the 2nd half and not have people start wondering if this crew was partial to one team. 

I thought it was someone joking when they said on coacht last week that if it was a close game, Catholic better get ready to lose by 1 referee. I will feel so much better if someone in the know can tell me this is not true concerning "Barry Mathis" being the "WHITE HAT" and his alleged ties to Maryville. And for the record, in my opinion only, I think if these 2 teams played 10 times, each team would probably go about 5-5. And even if this was a "homer" ref crew, it doesn't diminish the heart and characer that the Maryville players displayed to come back in this game. 

If you watched that game and didn't see that the penalties were legit, then you are flat out blind.  

9 hours ago, smoltz said:

IIs it true, the "WHITE HAT" for this game was Barry Mathis? If true, this would be completely unethical. I hear he is not only a very loyal Maryville alum, but he was also a star QB for Maryville back in the day. I have also heard 2 other Maryville grads were on that crew.

I know there is no way to make sure all Friday night football crews are perfectly matched up and assigned so nobody calls a game for their former high school. I do think it is a MAJOR difference and a serous conflict of interest IF the "WHITE HAT" was an alumni and former star player for a team in a game that featured the 2 top ranked teams in this area. This should never happen.

You can't throw flags on 5 plays that resulted in 1st downs, overlook an intentional grounding, call a pass that short hops the receiver a catch, have a line judge call holding on a player that didn't even make contact with a defender, and have all of these penalties go against one team and all in the 2nd half and not have people start wondering if this crew was partial to one team. 

I thought it was someone joking when they said on coacht last week that if it was a close game, Catholic better get ready to lose by 1 referee. I will feel so much better if someone in the know can tell me this is not true concerning "Barry Mathis" being the "WHITE HAT" and his alleged ties to Maryville. And for the record, in my opinion only, I think if these 2 teams played 10 times, each team would probably go about 5-5. And even if this was a "homer" ref crew, it doesn't diminish the heart and characer that the Maryville players displayed to come back in this game. 

In Blount County, if one eliminates alums from refereeing games, there wouldn't be enough referees to cover the home games.  Most of the Blount County referees went to one of the four main schools.  I know there were at least 2 Alcoa grads and a couple of County grads on the crew also.  Sitting in the stands for years, it's interesting to me how many Maryville fans think Mathis calls against the Rebels.

Edited by OldRebel2

5 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

In Blount County, if one eliminates alums from refereeing games, there wouldn't be enough referees to cover the home games.  Most of the Blount County referees went to one of the four main schools.  I know there were at least 2 Alcoa grads and a couple of County grads on the crew also.  Sitting in the stands for years, it's interesting to me how many Maryville fans think Mathis calls against the Rebels.

Thanks for clearing that up that the WHITE HAT was Barry Mathis, former Maryville star QB, and longtime supporter of the rebels. I understand any game in TN can have a referee on the crew that graduated from one of the schools playing, but the WHITE HAT having a MAJOR, MAJOR conflict of interest, is much different. 

Also, OldRebel2, can you confirm or deny that 2 other referees on that crew were also Maryville grads? I have heard at least one other member of the crew was not only a Maryville grad, but also a known Maryville homer who not only has deep ties does to the Rebels, but one that does some of his best work in 2nd half. And some people have said that 3 of the 7 man crew were former Rebel grads.

You can spin it any way you want but if you guys were to lose at Fulton, with a former Fulton star player as the WHITE HAT and 2 other Fulton grads on the crew, you would want some heads to roll in the referee assigning hierarchy. Assuming there about 8 very questionable calls in the 2nd half. 

If just 2 of the 7 officials last Friday were Maryville grads  with strong & deep loyalties to the Rebels, including the white hat, that would be considered very unethical and wrong on a couple of levels (and if 3 of the 7 were Maryville grads, that would be completely out of hand). First, any white hat with major ties to any Blount or Knox County school should never preside over a game as the lead official (WHITE HAT). Especially in a game with 2 state powers.  Secondly, TSSAA asks officials in all sports to not only be fair and impartial, but also to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. I am extremely confident there are other crews in Blount Co. that have a WHITE HAT that is not only not a Maryville grad, but one that apparently has such a long and loyal connection to Maryville. On top of that, I'm also confident that there must be a crew or 2 that has less than 40% of its crew represented by Maryville alums. The point here is twofold. An assignor should know better than to assign a crew with many conflicts of interest to any game.  That being said, a referee that is a WHITE HAT, with loyal & strong ties to one team, should also have recused himself from that assignment as soon as it came out. The assignor would have plenty of time to switch them to another game. 

I know this lack of checks and balances won't get cleaned up anytime soon. I just felt strongly that if it was true that it needed to be exposed for what it is. One thing for sure, the good ole boy network is alive and well in Blount County!

Edited by smoltz

8 minutes ago, smoltz said:

Thanks for clearing that up that the WHITE HAT was Barry Mathis, former Maryville star QB, and longtime supporter of the rebels. I understand any game in TN can have a referee on the crew that graduated from one of the schools playing, but the WHITE HAT having a MAJOR, MAJOR conflict of interest, is much different. 

Also, OldRebel2, can you confirm or deny that 2 other referees on that crew were also Maryville grads? I have heard at least one other member of the crew was not only a Maryville grad, but also a known Maryville homer who not only has deep ties does to the Rebels, but one that does some of his best work in 2nd half. And some people have said that 3 of the 7 man crew were former Rebel grads and longtime supporters. Is it also true that these consistent, and I'm sure in your opinion, "coincidental" conflicts of interest with "homer" referee crews  are the reason Alcoa won't schedule you guys anymore?

You can spin it any way you want but if you guys were to lose at Fulton, with a former Fulton star player as the WHITE HAT and 2 other Fulton grads on the crew, you would want some heads to roll in the referee assigning hierarchy. Assuming there about 8 very questionable calls in the 2nd half. 

If just 2 of the 7 officials last Friday were Maryville grads  with strong & deep loyalties to the Rebels, including the white hat, that would be considered very unethical and wrong on a couple of levels (and if 3 of the 7 were Maryville grads, that would be completely out of hand). First, any white hat with major ties to any Blount or Knox County school should never preside over a game as the lead official (WHITE HAT). Especially in a game with 2 state powers.  Secondly, TSSAA asks officials in all sports to not only be fair and impartial, but also to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. I am extremely confident there are other crews in Blount Co. that have a WHITE HAT that is not only not a Maryville grad, but one that apparently has such a long and loyal connection to Maryville. On top of that, I'm also confident that there must be a crew or 2 that has less than 40% of its crew represented by Maryville alums. The point here is twofold. An assignor should know better than to assign a crew with many conflicts of interest to any game.  That being said, a referee that is a WHITE HAT, with loyal & strong ties to one team, should also have recused himself from that assignment as soon as it came out. The assignor would have plenty of time to switch them to another game. 

I know this lack of checks and balances won't get cleaned up anytime soon. I just felt strongly that if it was true that it needed to be exposed for what it is. One thing for sure, the good ole boy network is alive and well in Blount County!

Essay

55 minutes ago, smoltz said:

Also, OldRebel2, can you confirm or deny that 2 other referees on that crew were also Maryville grads? I have heard at least one other member of the crew was not only a Maryville grad, but also a known Maryville homer who not only has deep ties does to the Rebels, but one that does some of his best work in 2nd half. And some people have said that 3 of the 7 man crew were former Rebel grads and longtime supporters. Is it also true that these consistent, and I'm sure in your opinion, "coincidental" conflicts of interest with "homer" referee crews  are the reason Alcoa won't schedule you guys anymore?

Obviously, you missed my point entirely.  Blount County does not have "crews".  And, if the refs are assigned as you say, there are not enough refs in the Blount County association to cover games because they almost all went to one of the local schools.  For those folks who have actually reviewed the game film (even Catholic fans on here), the calls were legit regardless who the WHITE HAT is or was.  I guess you'd like to just have the Knoxville Association ref all the Blount County home games.

14 minutes ago, OldRebel2 said:

Obviously, you missed my point entirely.  Blount County does not have "crews".  And, if the refs are assigned as you say, there are not enough refs in the Blount County association to cover games because they almost all went to one of the local schools.  For those folks who have actually reviewed the game film (even Catholic fans on here), the calls were legit regardless who the WHITE HAT is or was.  I guess you'd like to just have the Knoxville Association ref all the Blount County home games.

I have watched the film and to be honest, the refs were pretty lenient on a certain Catholic O-Liner who was holding on way more plays than he was called for.

• Upvote 2

I hate to say this but Barry Mathis wasn't a star QB at Maryville, he was the starting QB on the 74 team that went 6-4. Now Barry had a younger brother Danny that was a star running back at Heritage and he was named state player of the week twice his senior year rushing for over 400 yards in one game and over 300 in another. The way I see it is if the Mathis family were happy at Maryville with how things turned out with Barry then why would you send your better player to Heritage.  I know Barry personally an the entire family. His dad had a van and took a few of the players to away games in order for all the boy's on the team to get a chance to go. Barry is a fine man and a greater person and I have seen many a time in the past he has sided against Maryville but the moment he made a call the other way you would think there was a plot. I seen this two years ago when a call was made by Barry against Alcoa during a long completed pass which was called back and I seen it on live stream and they showed it as plain as day and the broadcaster said there was no mistake on that call. You couldn't convince Alcoa fans of that and there was a replay to see it.

28 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I hate to say this but Barry Mathis wasn't a star QB at Maryville, he was the starting QB on the 74 team that went 6-4. Now Barry had a younger brother Danny that was a star running back at Heritage and he was named state player of the week twice his senior year rushing for over 400 yards in one game and over 300 in another. The way I see it is if the Mathis family were happy at Maryville with how things turned out with Barry then why would you send your better player to Heritage.  I know Barry personally an the entire family. His dad had a van and took a few of the players to away games in order for all the boy's on the team to get a chance to go. Barry is a fine man and a greater person and I have seen many a time in the past he has sided against Maryville but the moment he made a call the other way you would think there was a plot. I seen this two years ago when a call was made by Barry against Alcoa during a long completed pass which was called back and I seen it on live stream and they showed it as plain as day and the broadcaster said there was no mistake on that call. You couldn't convince Alcoa fans of that and there was a replay to see it.

Barney, he wasn't the ref the said the extra point wasn't good at WB in 2007 was he?8-)

It's really beside the point how good a QB Barry Mathis was back in the day.  

Switching gears, the good news for Maryville is Coach Hunt gets his head coaching career started off with a big win. He has to have more pressure on him than any young coach in the State with the legacy of George Quarles, that he will always be compared to.