South Pittsburg vs Sequatchie (Grider against this Caine man)

Roy Dillard

A great matchup tonight.   Both teams left everything they had out on the field.  The two 4th down stops were basically the difference in this one.  Saw two good young quaterbacks for the Pirates that brought different elements to the game.  The kicking game was the best I've seen in some time. The qb for SC is a solid player and team leader for the Indians he was very savvy with the ball.  Their FB is a load.  Just like the last 3 games this one came down to the wire but SP was able to prevail this time around.  Kennemore is a big time player and Raulston had a big game on both sides of the ball. All in all I wish the Pirates had tackled better especially early on.  Gotta get that mess cleaned up.  Line on both sides seemed to get a little bit stronger as the contest wore on. Very proud of the way the defense stood up and held SC on  4th down after having just came off the field from holding on the previous 4th down.  Glad to have gotten this win.  The team has a lot of work to do and growing up also. We saw some growth out of the Pirates tonight in the 2nd half.  Good win Pirates!!  

10 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

Little? Those kids have good size. They were still bigger than us and your FB is a monster. 

Fullback hasn't played since game 3 last year and was a defensive player. He will get better each carry. I don't remember him getting a rush in high school before tonight. Line did well tonight but didn't get it late. All five are new as said and one was a backup fullback. Tight end didn't play last year. For the lack of quality varsity time I thought they did well and they'll get the pushes up front more often than not through the rest of the season. 

8 minutes ago, SCPRIDE30 said:

Too be young seq stayed in the game till the end. 2 shanked punts hurt us. Got 2 players returning against jasper who started last year.  1 is a linebacker and can't remember where tbe other one plays. Would've helped out tonight. Gotta focus on jasper now, maybe they'll take it easy on us 

Good luck next week.  Yall were a bit better than what I expected.  Good game plan put together by the SC coaching staff.

5 minutes ago, Indian said:

Fullback hasn't played since game 3 last year and was a defensive player. He will get better each carry. I don't remember him getting a rush in high school before tonight. Line did well tonight but didn't get it late. All five are new as said and one was a backup fullback. Tight end didn't play last year. For the lack of quality varsity time I thought they did well and they'll get the pushes up front more often than not through the rest of the season. 

I was very impressed by Sequatchie's size. They have some very good looking players. QB is a player and 45 is a whopper of a RB. Getting in wingT shoe to shoe like that with those guys will be tough on anyone you play this year. 3A and below anyways. Sequatchie has finally found the right coach that's for sure. They have another good football team this year. 

20 minutes ago, SCPRIDE30 said:

Too be young seq stayed in the game till the end. 2 shanked punts hurt us. Got 2 players returning against jasper who started last year.  1 is a linebacker and can't remember where tbe other one plays. Would've helped out tonight. Gotta focus on jasper now, maybe they'll take it easy on us 

That could have been a good thing that those punts were shanked! This game could have gone almost a 2 or 3 td advantage for SP. Great effort by SC tonight. Both team will continue to get better each week with the coaching staffs on hand! 

28 minutes ago, SCPRIDE30 said:

This game surprised me for sure.  I honestly thought sp would run away with it, but props to seq for staying in it.  I guess MC may be in trouble next week now.  I thougjt Sp was a little better than us this year so that probably spells trouble.  Good thing is that we came away injury free with the ones that played.

1 minute ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

This game surprised me for sure.  I honestly thought sp would run away with it, but props to seq for staying in it.  I guess MC may be in trouble next week now.  I thougjt Sp was a little better than us this year so that probably spells trouble.  Good thing is that we came away injury free with the ones that played.

I told you Marion County would be fine vs Hixson. 

2 hours ago, Indian said:

laynes little side kick once said

"They've given up nearly 100 in the last 2 games, need to take that little green wagon on a few more trips around the city."

how was that trip around the city of cornbread

Booger just sayin:popcorneater:1A

Edited by Booger

6 hours ago, PurplePower68 said:

How do you see this one then?

I will answer this one. It's all about your offensive opportunities. If Marion can get off the field defensively then you can pour it on. Sequatchie isn't built for a high scoring game but if they can establish their "pound you right in the mouth" approach and keep ball away it will be tight. This will be a big test for your interior line. SP line depth looked to show in the 4th. Sequatchie wasn't getting nearly as much of a push and we came up with multiple 4th and short stops. If you make them play in space on defense they are vulnerable but if you don't establish the edge it will be a long night. 

Edited by TonyHorton91281

6 hours ago, PurplePower68 said:

How do you see this one then?

It's much like i mentioned in the Marion County thread this week. I made the mention that it would be tough on a young SP team to score more than 28 points on Sequatchie. Several people got on me pretty good in there about it. Yes, they lost a lot of good players off last year's team, but they are still solid. They are well coached and won't beat themselves. Looking back, Caine coached defenses are always tough. If Marion blows the scoreboard up on Sequatchie then you are going back to Cookeville. Saylors is the X factor in this one. They will have trouble tackling him, but I still think it will be a struggle to put up more than 35 on this team, even for Marion County's fast paced offensive approach. 

9 hours ago, TheAmbassador said:

Sequatchie is about as young as this SP team aren't they?

not sure about a grade to grade comparison, but due to injuries Sequatchie had 5 seniors on the field. I am pretty sure only 1 on offense or defense, any grade, was a regular starter last year (quarterback) though some may have started a game here or there due to injury. Some played quite a bit in backup roles. Would have been nice to have had the most experienced linebacker in there, was 3rd on team in tackles last year, but that's part of the game and he should be back soon. Ones in for him did well as did the team as a whole. Another tough one next week.