2a AP poll

Redrage1990

Wow! Man I didn't expect this. Two Mayfield fans on here taking up for my Tornadoes.  Well kinda.  I appreciate you guys giving our boys props about how they played and never gave up.  Y'all had an answer for everything we did.  We did a fine job of hurting ourselves and the Cardinals took advantage of every mistake we made.  There were plenty.  Regardless of the score I believe we will come back and make a strong run for the rest of the season.  Thanks 55 and 1980. Had fun jawing with you both last week.  You are good guys and all the Cardinals faithful are good people.  

As far as this poll is concerned. ....meh

10 minutes ago, BigSwo said:

Wow! Man I didn't expect this. Two Mayfield fans on here taking up for my Tornadoes.  Well kinda.  I appreciate you guys giving our boys props about how they played and never gave up.  Y'all had an answer for everything we did.  We did a fine job of hurting ourselves and the Cardinals took advantage of every mistake we made.  There were plenty.  Regardless of the score I believe we will come back and make a strong run for the rest of the season.  Thanks 55 and 1980. Had fun jawing with you both last week.  You are good guys and all the Cardinals faithful are good people.  

As far as this poll is concerned. ....meh

Well Bigswo I told you I would keep it honest and after reading and watching videos about the teams in region 7 2a tn I have no doubt that y'all will bring the GOLD BALL HOME. Coach T isn't about mayfield ball anymore I like the tornados I have family in union city so I always follow them and ky corbin will be going against Alcoa this week corbin is 3a but also a powerhouse which we play and have not lost to the past couple years lol sorry had to throw that one in there. Long story short mayfield fans have got Union City Tn Back. 

11 hours ago, TheAmbassador said:

How are they rebuilding when they had almost the entire team returning from a solid 2016 team that was beaten by a great Dresden team?

I had no clue as to how many starters they returned, I was just going by their game last week and from seeing them scrimmage in Waverly, just didn't seem like the UC that I'm used to watching. I'm in no way bashing them as they are very respected by me and everyone else here in Wayne Co. I've made the long drive to watch them play after my team was put out because they're that fun to watch when they're clicking on all cylinders. A couple years ago when they beat ncs at home in the semi finals I was there and I don't think anybody from 1A to 4A would have shut them out that year, including Mayfield

1 minute ago, wildcat89 said:

I had no clue as to how many starters they returned, I was just going by their game last week and from seeing them scrimmage in Waverly, just didn't seem like the UC that I'm used to watching. I'm in no way bashing them as they are very respected by me and everyone else here in Wayne Co. I've made the long drive to watch them play after my team was put out because they're that fun to watch when they're clicking on all cylinders. A couple years ago when they beat ncs at home in the semi finals I was there and I don't think anybody from 1A to 4A would have shut them out that year, including Mayfield

Wow just one thing you forgot Mayfield ky cardinals are dream killers and reality head liners it's ok everybody doest know what we do maybe you can come catch a game or two it never hurts to have to many fans 

14 minutes ago, Mayfieldfan1980 said:

Wow just one thing you forgot Mayfield ky cardinals are dream killers and reality head liners it's ok everybody doest know what we do maybe you can come catch a game or two it never hurts to have to many fans 

Not bashing on your team either, I'm just saying that I dont think this years UC team is on the level as some of their recent teams

1 minute ago, wildcat89 said:

Not bashing on your team either, I'm just saying that I dont think this years UC team is on the level as some of their recent teams

Look at what they did last year there entire starting team was on the injured list and they took there 2 and 3 string and continued the season only losing to the the eventually state champs. So don't count them out. Week 0 they lost o well they lost week 0 a couple years ago and went on a winning streak that most teams/programs dream about. I ask you what makes that team any different than this team? The way I see it if uc has that mentality and the heart which they do I've seen it in person as the team that had the winning streak I wouldn't turn my back on them or under rate them if I had to play them the rest of the season but some people have to be made believers so all I can say is go tornados 

I came away feeling like Mayfield was better than UC period but I also think our personnel was the perfect storm (No pun intended) for UC.  We had just enough up front to play with the physicality of UC and more speed to make up for any slip ups.  That coupled with a team that cant or wont throw the ball spelled trouble and it happened early making it worse.  If I am UC I am more worried about the defense.  Mayfield scored on every possession but the first one where we threw an Int. and punted the first series of the 2nd half.  The tornado D looked lost all night and I think a lot of it had to do with not being use to seeing the hybrid spread we run.  I think UC would be a 7-10 team in KY 2A which is better than TN 2A because it is full of privates that dominate the class.  Until Mayfield moved up 2 years ago no public schools had won a 2A title in some years.  All that said to say that I think UC got exposed but I don't think anyone else at the moment in TN 2A has the same weapons we had from talking with my TN football friends and looking around myself at TN 2A but I could be wrong.  Anyway, couple that with eliminating the turnovers and I can see UC having one of the better chances to win the state title or getting awfully close.  By the way TN has and does have some great teams.  That 09 Trousdale County team played in a instant classic that saw Mayfield down 21-0 in the first Q and storm back to win 48-40.  A great Milan state title winner lost to Mayfield in the 1998 I believe it was 19-7.  Trousdale and Milan both have had some great teams and so did Dresden last year and Henry County has had some as well.  Okay, I will go back to KY now and try and get the rest of the Cards still milling around here with me to talk about this weeks Cards game against a ranked higher class team that is chomping at the bit to get at us

27 minutes ago, SEVEN said:

What's Mayfield's record against TC? 

...seriously. I know we've played a couple of times, but I don't know the overall series standings. I'll hang up and listen. 

If memory serves me its 2-1 Mayfield.  In 1999 TC came to MF and beat us 12-7.  In 2000 Mayfield won 42-21 at TC beside a railroad track stadium.  Then in 2009 Mayfield won 48-40 in a bowl game at Graves County, KY.  In that game TC had a 21-0 lead at the end of the first Q.  Mayfield switched to the offense they run today in the 2nd Q of that game and never looked back going to the state title game in KY from 2009 thru 2015 winning 5 of those title games.  For grins, MF is 2-0 vs Milan with both games coming in the late 1990's.  One of those years, MIlan won the state title.  The only TN teams that Mayfield has a losing record to that I am aware of is S Fulton and Brentwood Academy.  MF is 24-4 vs UC I think or there about.  I read that in the paper last week.   Mayfield is currently the 5th winning high school team in the nation.  Just had to throw that in there

Edited by ToothPick

1 hour ago, wildcat89 said:

Not a good showing in that scrimmage for sure. But in our defense, the boys were on their way  home from the toughest camp they had ever been through. They were completely exhausted before they stepped off the bus.

As for the Mayfield game, we made a lot of mistakes and the Cardinals are really good.

Edited by fallguy17

1 hour ago, Mayfieldfan1980 said:

Look at what they did last year there entire starting team was on the injured list and they took there 2 and 3 string and continued the season only losing to the the eventually state champs. So don't count them out. Week 0 they lost o well they lost week 0 a couple years ago and went on a winning streak that most teams/programs dream about. I ask you what makes that team any different than this team? The way I see it if uc has that mentality and the heart which they do I've seen it in person as the team that had the winning streak I wouldn't turn my back on them or under rate them if I had to play them the rest of the season but some people have to be made believers so all I can say is go tornados 

I don't have to be made a believer, I've believed in them for years. We won't be playing them now that they moved to 2a but you can ask any of their fans, WC respects them and they've respected us.