Round 3 Raleigh -Egypt @ Covington

CHARGERFAN

1 guy will not beat this Covington team, we don't have that 1 guy, we have a complete team that doesn't give up and knows that they can hang with the best, been tested all year and who has RE played Really? Have they been tested? We're ready to see what all the RE hype is about come Friday night!  35 - 14 Covington 

1/0 this week...go chargers 

• Upvote 1

So, I have been looking at some stats:

http://shelbymetrosports.blogspot.com/2017/11/updated-team-stats-as-of-11-2.html

According to this info, here are some comparisons:

Points per game

RE - 45.7

Covington 38.0

Rushing yards per game

Cov 339

RE 270

Total offense per game

Covington - 419

RE -390

Defense - points allowed per game

RE - 9.8

Covington - 14.8

Rushing yards per game allowed

RE- 34.3

Covington - 135.4

Defense - total yards per game allowed

RE - 109.4 ( fewest in Shelby Metro)

Covington - 266.1

To me, the most concerning stat here is Raleigh-Egypt's rushing defense. Now they have not probably played a rushing attack like ours yet, but these stats tell me that RE has a lot more going for them than just Grandberry running the ball. I'm sure that Coach Wheeler and staff are aware of what they are facing, but the stats are very interesting to me as a fan. 

Edited by CHARGERFAN

3 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

http://shelbymetrosports.blogspot.com/2017/11/updated-team-stats-as-of-11-2.html

Points per game

RE - 45.7

Covington 38.0

Rushing yards per game

Cov 339

RE 270

Total offense per game

Covington - 419

RE -390

RE - 9.8

Covington - 14.8

RE- 34.3

Covington - 135.4

Covington - 266.1

To me, the most concerning stat here is Raleigh-Egypt's rushing defense. Now they have not probably played a rushing attack like ours yet, but these stats tell me that RE has a lot more going for them than just Grandberry running the ball. I'm sure that Coach Wheeler and staff are aware of what they are facing, but the stats are very interesting to me as a fan. 

Looking at those stats, there are only 2 teams that RE has played that are ranked on offense in the metro and that's Arlington(5th in pts/gm, 2nd in passing/gm, and 2nd in yards total/gm) and Harding Academy(7th rushing/gm).  I would say they haven't seen a rushing attack like Covingtons yet this year, but even so for RE to hold teams to 34 rushing yards per game is saying something. 

13 minutes ago, ChargerFan7465 said:

Looking at those stats, there are only 2 teams that RE has played that are ranked on offense in the metro and that's Arlington(5th in pts/gm, 2nd in passing/gm, and 2nd in yards total/gm) and Harding Academy(7th rushing/gm).  I would say they haven't seen a rushing attack like Covingtons yet this year, but even so for RE to hold teams to 34 rushing yards per game is saying something. 

Covington will also be one of the most disciplined teams & talented at the skill position as any team they have faced this year.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Points per game

RE - 45.7

Covington 38.0

Rushing yards per game

Cov 339

RE 270

Total offense per game

Covington - 419

RE -390

RE - 9.8

Covington - 14.8

RE- 34.3

Covington - 135.4

Covington - 266.1

Great stuff. Also, RE and Covington have faced three common opponents ... Bolivar, SGC, and Melrose. I'm not my computer today or I would post the scores of each as another comparison. ChargerFan, if you would be so kind. It's hard to post on here with the phone. I thought those were interesting as well.

On 11/12/2017 at 9:09 AM, Truck78 said:

1 guy will not beat this Covington team, we don't have that 1 guy, we have a complete team that doesn't give up and knows that they can hang with the best, been tested all year and who has RE played Really? Have they been tested? We're ready to see what all the RE hype is about come Friday night!  35 - 14 Covington 

1/0 this week...go chargers 

RE is FAR from being a one man team. They average about 120 yds/game passing the ball. Statistically, they have the stingiest defense in the Shelby County/Metro Memphis area. You don't consistently put up those types of numbers being a one man show. It takes a TEAM to play that kind of D.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. To win championships you have to be able to do two things. Run the ball, and stop the run. RE is excellent at BOTH.

On 11/12/2017 at 0:45 AM, ManOfMillions said:

I have seen both teams play. Covington clearly is the better team. RE is no joke though. They have the best running back I have seen this year. Covington is the best team I have seen this year as a whole. 

Hey covington " Stop #3  and you win this contest hands down. " He is handful and it will not be easy but if you can stop him you stop RE. 

Hmm ... Clearly huh?

OK, if you say so.

Per KWC's request

COMMON OPPONENT DATA

vs Melrose

RE won 42-6 (season)

Cov won 24-12 (playoffs)

vs Bolivar

RE won 41-13 (playoffs)

Cov won 47-20 (season)

vs South Gibson

RE won 26-14 (playoffs)

Cov won 49-21 (season)

It's hard to see much of a pattern there. RE did much better vs Melrose, and Covington did much better vs SGC. Results vs Bolivar were very similar.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Per KWC's request

COMMON OPPONENT DATA

vs Melrose

RE won 42-6 (season)

Cov won 24-12 (playoffs)

vs Bolivar

RE won 41-13 (playoffs)

Cov won 47-20 (season)

vs South Gibson

RE won 26-14 (playoffs)

Cov won 49-21 (season)

It's hard to see much of a pattern there. RE did much better vs Melrose, and Covington did much better vs SGC. Results vs Bolivar were very similar.

Thanks